Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
It will go away before then. If Apple wants to drastically change, or discontinue a product people like, they're not afraid to do it. That said, they're also not going to not put something equally alluring in its place.

Sure, they may kill it while it's still selling. My point though was that if nobody's buying it (the implication of "I'd rather have the M2 Air") that they'll stop making it. No reason to worry about why it exists.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Sure, they may kill it while it's still selling. My point though was that if nobody's buying it (the implication of "I'd rather have the M2 Air") that they'll stop making it. No reason to worry about why it exists.
Enterprise customers are likely still buying it. Tried and true is always more appealing than new in the enterprise.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Anecdotally, after going in to Best Buys and Apple stores with various friends and family they're all more interested in the 13" Macbook Pro than the 14" due to the size and sleekness and don't even realize that the 14" is the newer model.

Reactions: ZircoBen

thenewperson

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Anecdotally, after going in to Best Buys and Apple stores with various friends and family they're all more interested in the 13" Macbook Pro than the 14" due to the size and sleekness and don't even realize that the 14" is the newer model.
The current designs look like a rehashed PowerBook so I can relate. I need them to modernise the 13” and I’d be all over it, but they won’t.

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
I was careful with my word choice. I didn't say "the lower-end 14-inch MacBook Pro" so as to directly imply the current lower-end model. I said "a lower-end 14-inch MacBook Pro" so as to imply a model more lower-end than the current model. They could easily toss the same SoC that currently goes into the 13-inch MacBook Pros into that 14-inch chassis instead.
I've also said they should update the design, I don't see why it needs to be a 14" chassis though, and in fact it is likely that the 14" chassis would further confusion rather than bring clarity. With the 13" Pro at its own size it is easier to communicate that the difference and it is clearer to people that the real pro features start at the 14" size.

ZircoBen

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2015
Utah, USA
I don’t get all perceived Touch Bar hate; just about everyone I talk to enjoys it and likes typing emojis with it.

Sounds like something we’ve all heard MKBHD tell us that isn’t actually true for regular people.

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
I don’t get all perceived Touch Bar hate; just about everyone I talk to enjoys it and likes typing emojis with it.

Sounds like something we’ve all heard MKBHD tell us that isn’t actually true for regular people.
I have a Touch Bar in my 15" pro - here are some main isuse
  • It is not accessible when the backlight is off - have to wake it before use
  • Unreliable
    • Mine is currently failing with the flashing Flicker and nothing has solved this - I suspect a hardware repair is required
    • Sometimes doesn't turn on when needed
    • Sometimes glitches with what it displays
  • Poorly used by most apps
  • Unsupported into the future since not on most of Apple's products
  • Unable to find buttons without looking
    • On non-touch bar Macs I can learn where some of the control buttons are by memory feel and touch - not possible with Touch Bar
    • Requires visual inspection to actually use

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Honestly at this point I wish the 13 inch Macbook Pro could be rebranded as the 13 inch Macbook, or Macbook SE, but of course they won't do that because the Pro name sells.

Reactions: bcortens

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Honestly at this point I wish the 13 inch Macbook Pro could be rebranded as the 13 inch Macbook, or Macbook SE, but of course they won't do that because the Pro name sells.
I think just MacBook is best, the MacBook SE name would imply to me that it should be a bit of an entry level model below the Air.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Tim Cooks apple is reaaaaaly slow... the rumours of an M3 iMac later this year, the length of time it took to get the Studio Display, the 2 years from 2017-2019 which it took to release the new Mac Pro. Then there is the real travesty, the 4-5 years of stubbornness over the butterfly keyboard, I am still honestly shocked there hasn't been a class action lawsuit. Everything seems to have slowed down at Apple with Tim in charge, with the exception of a few key products nothing is on a yearly update schedule, this is likely to maximize profits as updates cost money and it's probably easier to amortize those updates over 2 years than 1 year.

Edit:
I am also always disappointed that the Apple press gives them passing grades for things like the Mac when the go a full year without updating some products even when they have the chips (M2 iMac). In my opinion failing to update products or keeping products with bad/discontinued features in the lineup (Touch Bar in 13" MacBook Pro) should automatically mean that the Mac receives a much poorer grade.

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's bad. I loved all the butterfly keyboards I had, I loved the Touch Bar and would gladly rebuy a Mac if it came back just to have it as it was super useful for me.

You seem to be falling prey to marketing buzz where there has to be something new every single year.

Reactions: ZircoBen

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I think just MacBook is best, the MacBook SE name would imply to me that it should be a bit of an entry level model below the Air.

I do want an entry level model below the Air. The M1 Air would fit that bill perfectly. An $700-800 Macbook would do numbers and be the final nail in the coffin for the cheap laptop market, like how the iPad killed netbooks.

Reactions: Tagbert

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's bad. I loved all the butterfly keyboards I had, I loved the Touch Bar and would gladly rebuy a Mac if it came back just to have it as it was super useful for me.

You seem to be falling prey to marketing buzz where there has to be something new every single year.
The butterfly keyboard has flaws, 'feel' is subjective, that's not what I'm talking about. Both of my 15" MacBook Pros with butterfly keyboards (2016 and my current 2019) have needed keyboard replacements because of stuck keys. I had a 2008 MBP that lasted 8 years with no failing keys or flaws. My new M1 Pro hasn't had keys fail in its first year and a half. The wireless keyboard I have from Apple is 4 years old without any failing keys. Small sample size to be sure but even Apple had to institute a free replacement program for the keyboards. Sure they might feel nice but they aren't as reliable.

There is no reason Apple, at its size, can't keep their products in sync. It galls me that they just ignore products for years and years (Mac Pro is now 4 years old, there have been CPU updates they could use but haven't). It bugs me that they sometimes can't be bothered to keep their machines updated to ensure that the hardware capabilities are roughly similar (not performance but features such as the type of encoding engine). The iMac should have an M2 by now, that it doesn't either means they are in a thermal corner, really the iMac design is compromised for thinness. I have my doubts that they could fit an M2 Pro in an iMac (while they had no problem fitting one in the Mac mini).

It isn't wholly about yearly updates but continuous updates at a regular pace. The reason I support yearly is because that is the schedule apple chose for their CPU architecture updates. If Apple slows down on the A series update rate then it would make sense to slow down Mac update rates. The M1 Pro and Max came out after the A15, that means that the newest Mac chips had an architecture older than the iPhone. The rumours of the A16's failed RT GPU cores gives Apple a year to catch up so that they can get the A series and M series back in sync.

Reactions: CalebEdenburn

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
Enterprise customers are likely still buying it. Tried and true is always more appealing than new in the enterprise.
This is also my experience. I work for a large enterprise in its Technology department and I have seen 13” MBPs being dished out to various office staff in other departments.

While the 13” MBP is an “old” design for Mac users, for those employees coming from generic-looking Windows laptops in corporate environments it looks futuristic and desirable.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I think the point about enterprise customer is really important.

An M1 13" MBP looks likes and shares components of an 13" Intel MBP so Apple can sell them a larger discount than the newer system to corporations and still preserve their profit margin. Finance loves this. IT departments also love this so they can roll upgrades to 25% of the office workers each year, and no one can immediately identify and complain that they deserve an upgrade more than so and so down the hall who got a new system. And of course, only the execs (and IT teams) get the cool Air M2s and the devs usually get the 14" and 16" M2 MBPs

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
The 13" MacBook Pro is the same price as the M2 Air when configured identically, I don't really think of it as an upsell, rather I think it exists because some people (gamers) might want the sustained performance it offers.
Yes, I think it’s for the small segment of customers who have a use case that either i) needs sustained performance for longer periods and so the fan makes a real difference, ii) needs really extended battery life and values those extra few hours, all while being budget conscious and not wanting to pay significantly more for the 14” Pro.

Or when Apple runs through their backlog of 13" chassis and Touchbars...
Yes, I think this is likely a factor. They have a lot of these built-up inventory from 2016-2019 MBP models, and so costs are quite low.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
This is also my experience. I work for a large enterprise in its Technology department and I have seen 13” MBPs being dished out to various office staff in other departments.

While the 13” MBP is an “old” design for Mac users, for those employees coming from generic-looking Windows laptops in corporate environments it looks futuristic and desirable.
Of course! A buddy of mine started working at a spot where they deployed him a brand new 13-inch MacBook Pro. I'm still unsure why those same companies aren't deploying M1 Airs instead. But, the existing design definitely has more maturity and IT loves that.

Reactions: Tagbert and jerryk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.