Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
The only two things that bother me is you are forced to use iTunes (no web player) and no Chromecast support unless you have a Air Play speaker you have to use Bluetooth.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
there are sooo many no cost solutions to music.
the thing about free is when it dosnt work as expected you can opt to move on to the next free thing.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
there are sooo many no cost solutions to music.
the thing about free is when it dosnt work as expected you can opt to move on to the next free thing.

Its also the content as well... Just because you have a better UI doesn't mean any good to use.

Arni99

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Vienna, Austria
I am back to "old school" CD to ALAC (Apple lossless audio codec) ripping and transferring to my iPhone.
Why should I pay for compressed music which is only rented (Apple music) or if I buy it from itunes store its sometimes more expensive than a higher quality audio-cd which is encoded in lossless 16bit 44,1kHz.
Took some time (2 days) to rip my 200CDs to ALAC but was worth it.
Besides the higher quality on CD I get album artwork and who is playing on which track - what counts for me.
That's why i got the 256GB iPhone...

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
Both my wife and I use Apple Music. It sounds great, has all the music we want, and it's already on all our devices and well integrated. We have never used any other service, Apple Music was our first foray into paid music subscriptions, so we don't really know anything else. Too lazy to bother trying anything else at this point.

Reactions: tonyr6

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I am back to "old school" CD to ALAC (Apple lossless audio codec) ripping and transferring to my iPhone.
Why should I pay for compressed music which is only rented (Apple music) or if I buy it from itunes store its sometimes more expensive than a higher quality audio-cd which is encoded in lossless 16bit 44,1kHz.
Took some time (2 days) to rip my 200CDs to ALAC but was worth it.
Besides the higher quality on CD I get album artwork and who is playing on which track - what counts for me.
That's why i got the 256GB iPhone...
Try play music and you will be begging to use CDs again. I guess you never tried Apple music it sounds amazing.

Arni99

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Vienna, Austria
Try play music and you will be begging to use CDs again. I guess you never tried Apple music it sounds amazing.
I have been trying Apple Music for abouth 6 month and still have a valid subscription - I just don't use it anymore.
For someone who doesn't have a lot of CDs yet and doesn't want to invest several 1000$ in CDs Apple Music/Spotify etc. is great. For me its better to purchase the missing 20CDs and enjoy the information of which musician is playing on each song which is missing in Apple Music besides the compression and not having the possibility to get lossless audio files be it ALAC or WAV or FLAC.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Purchasing missing CD's are fine. I did that with many soundtracks that AM has missing tracks. As for SQ AM sounds great like the CD's I purchased. Other services the worst being Play Music and Spotify sound inferior to a lossless CD like a bad MP3 rip from the late 90's back in the Napster days.

Lappen71

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
I am nearly 40 years old listened to music with headphones my entire life so my hearing might not be great and I can still tell the difference between Play Music muddy sound quality and Apple Music superior sound quality. Of course I always use high quality headphones and speakers.

I´m 100% secure if we do a blindtest you would not beat the statistic :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.