Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Noah Bloom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
I purchased these two colors too, and am surprised how difficult it is to choose. Both colors are beautiful. I liked the Graphite more than I thought I would; and, having gotten the Series 6 Apple Watch in Graphite Stainless Steel, believe them to be a fantastic match (for whatever that’s worth). I agree with @mashinhead that in the light, the Graphite 12 Pro is just stunning (the Iron Man II reference is classic, by the way...love it). However, in certain darker environments/shadows, there can be a tinge of Midnight Green (or maybe putty), at least to my eye. I had the Midnight Green 11 Pro and by the end of the year, I was pretty tired of the color; I found I didn’t like it as much once the newness wore off. I have the same concern about the Pacific Blue. Also weighing on me is the fact that every time I’ve had an iPhone in a Black/Space Gray color, I’ve enjoyed it all year long with no regrets.

I do not use a case with my iPhone, and I think this year is by far the most difficult time I’ve had picking a color. Graphite is a safer choice, but the Pacific Blue, right now, is just fantastic.

Here are some pics I just shot of the two of them, in case this helps anybody else who is riding the fence.

View attachment 974232

View attachment 974233

View attachment 974234

View attachment 974235

View attachment 974236
Thanks for the great pics !!

Noah Bloom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
Finally made it into the Apple Store via "appointment" to check out the 2 colors in person and well, it didn't make my decision any easier!

Both are beautiful, that I expected. But I don't know what to think anymore..LOL, it's crazy. The blue as mentioned already has this wild "color shift" to it. Very muted blue at one angle....little more blue looking down, then almost a gray'ish blue..perhaps dull teal at another angle. That is with my own eyes, I cant really say my XS Max picked up on this?

Graphite, same slight shift, lighter at one angle, darker at another and almost then a hint of the 11 Midnight Green at other angles. The shiny sides on both...very nice and on the Pac Blue, far better than I expected.

There is one thing I did notice and i HOPE this won't be a major issue. The matte back, I kind of fear this may be screatchprone? Example - over time in pants/jeans pockets, or maybe an accidental finger nail across the back? I pointed this out on the Graphite model.

**I may be over-blowing it, this could be a non issue and these have been on display only a few days..but of course many have touched it.

iUhJrRZ.jpg

qWLKzCm.jpg
a8X1aDf.jpg

They really are both great colors! And regarding the scuffs - I've been hearing we can thank the new shatter resistant ceramic material for that. Turns out shatter resistance and scuff resistance are inversely related - go figure. I usually just go leather case but seems I'll be getting a screen protector as well this year. I would only go caseless if Apple Care+ started allowing the option for $29 screen or backplate replacements for normal wear and tear. Even if they offered it 1 or 2x a year would be nice.

Very excited for my graphite one to arrive. I actually really do love the pacific blue matte back color though - probably more so than the graphite back plate color - but there's still something about the shiny blue steel and camera that's off-putting to me.

Jeff5i

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2005
Just got back from the ATT store and I wanted to share my thoughts in case anyone else agrees/disagrees/is not sure which color to pick! I have a feeling many will be between the graphite and pacific blue. Last year for the 11 pro, I just went with whatever was in stock (gold happened to be the case) but this time, I took advantage of ATT's $800 deal instead of buying outright so I'll likely hold onto the phone longer.

1. So from launch I thought that I definitely would be going with the new pacific blue. But then, they decided to give every single reviewer a pacific blue unit. Honestly, made me love the color a little less and took away the novelty of the color.

2. The graphite color is simply not getting enough love IMO, and it has that clean industrial look we haven't seen from Apple in a while in their iPhones.

View attachment 973280 View attachment 973312

3. It has the darkest frame, which will be the least distracting because many cases now show an outline of the frame when viewed from the front. Furthermore, the camera housing glass is the shiny part of the back. Most people including myself, will have a case on it most of the time where only the camera housing and parts of the steel frame are showing. I find the reflective pacific blue glass and steel to be not as nice as the matte part. The shiny dark silver - meanwhile - is very nice to my eyes!

View attachment 973292 View attachment 973314

4. It reminds me of Iron Man Mark II.

View attachment 973295

That's pretty much it. Mine will take a couple weeks to come in to my local ATT store, but gives me time to wait for the apple leather cases to become available anyways!
What case is this?

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
If I’d been interested in the Pro I’d have gone for the graphite too. Very happy with the colour and performance of the 12 I had though.

Looks the same as space grey on the back which I found a bit bland on the 11 pro. Didn’t matter anyways as was cased for a year lol.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Looks the same as space grey on the back which I found a bit bland on the 11 pro. Didn’t matter anyways as was cased for a year lol.

I quite like sleek black and grey tones though. I’ve only seen it in reviews and quite like the look of the graphite. The black and blue of the 12’s are nice though as you get a similar professional look IMO.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
From looking at the pics on this thread, or having seen one in person, does anyone else wish the glass on the back was darker on the graphite? Ever since my first iPhone it's the "2001: A Space Odyssey" monolith look that's been my ideal aesthetic so I'm not a big fan of colour contrasts. With the flat edges and the edge to edge glass on the front and back Apple is gradually getting closer to the 2001 monolith look so that's good at least for me.

How are the glossy sides and fingerprints working out for people? I've seen and heard a few complaints about the glossy sides being fingerprint magnets. Maybe that won't bug me so much, I got used to mis-matched backs after a while and just tuned it out e.g. on my 5S, and my 11 Pro Max edges are glossy but I suspect the flat edges on the 12 Pros will make fingerprints more obvious than on the 11 Pros. I'm sure if it's an issue I'll tune it out pretty quickly just like I did with the mismatched back on the 5S.

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
I have gone to the Apple Store and seen the Graphite and Pacific Blue iPhone 12 Pro personally.

I feel that from the current lot of silicone Apple cases, the graphite model will match most of them, while the pacific blue doesn’t seem to look good with anything other than blue and clear case.

I was pretty sure about the Pacific Blue but now I am leaning towards getting the Graphite model.

ScottC7

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2008
Orbiting Planet Apple
New video posted yesterday, more angles.
The indecision continues. ?

I have a Pacific Blue 12 Pro and would say that the views shown in this video are an accurate, if incomplete, representation of the range of color that is possible with this device. What I find really interesting - and this is also true of my Series 6 Graphite Stainless Steel Apple Watch - is the chameleon-like way these devices alter their color in different light environments. I think it’s my favorite aspect of the colors and finishes Apple chose this year. Depending on the lighting, the Pacific Blue 12 Pro can look light or dark gray, light or dark/deep blue, and even a bit blue/teal. The edge band can take on a deep, glossy black, or look very electric blue. And I love it all. It’s just beautiful. I also had pre-ordered a Graphite 12 Pro, and saw that same ability to vary it’s color based on lighting.

Having seen two of the four 12 Pro colors in person, and having looked at pics and videos of the Silver and Gold, I personally believe there is no wrong way to go this year from an aesthetic perspective, and it’s definitely the first time I’ve ever felt that way about an iPhone color lineup. I can honestly say I would have been very satisfied with any of the colors.

All in all, I think this is easily the best-looking crop of iPhones ever, at least to me, and going beyond the “veneer” I think this year’s design language is my favorite, too. There’s no wrong choice - it’s just a matter of which color ”speaks” to you the most. I go caseless and am enjoying looking at the Pacific Blue every day, but I”m sure I would have been very happy with any one of this year’s colors.

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
Pacific blue is no doubt the best looking iPhone yet.

But going careless or not putting a skin will be a big risk.

There have been some pictures posted and I also have noticed at the Apple Store that the blue phone shows scratches more. May be because at the Apple Store, many were testing the Pacific Blue more.

I feel all the iPhone 12 Pro/ Pro Max models will scratch easier this year. It is better to use a case or a skin.

This is where the Pacific Blue will have a problem. It doesn’t go well with many case or skin colors. If you get the Pacific Blue color, you will have to skin with the case or skin option you choose for 1 year. If you are okay with it, then your choice is clear.

If you are like me, who changes the skins and cases often, then Graphite is better. I feel even the silver and gold models will also go well with many case or skin options. Just the Pacfic Blue can’t.

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
I really don’t like the pacific blue ones on the iPhone 12 Pro.

If you go to dBrand.com and choose your skin options, you will notice that none of the skins available will go well with that Pacific Blue model.

Pacific Blue is the color that is intended to be used with a clear case to show the color or for the rich and wealthy, to rock without a case.

Last edited:

calstanford

Suspended
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong
I was dead set to get the Gold as it looks so much better than the old beige coloured XS.
Went to the Apple Store to play with and look at them all.

Pacfic Blue Max pre-ordered. Easy decision. It looks the most fabulous of the bunch. A different shade of blue each time you angle the device different. All gorgeous.

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
I was dead set to get the Gold as it looks so much better than the old beige coloured XS.
Went to the Apple Store to play with and look at them all.

Pacfic Blue Max pre-ordered. Easy decision. It looks the most fabulous of the bunch. A different shade of blue each time you angle the device different. All gorgeous.

Pacific Blue color is the best looking color launched by Apple. This is the phone to use with a clear case (not the One from Apple. Lol).

I would have got it 100% if more case colors looked nice with it.

I would have managed to use the iPhone 12 Pro without a case but not the iPhone 12 Pro Max. It is heavier and bigger and more risky to carry and use one handed.

It I was a hard decision for me.

I got the safer Graphite color so that ai can change the look weekly. Getting 2 Apple Cases (green Silicone and black Leather) and then preparing myself for the Baltic blue or brown leather sleeve. Going to get 4 or 5 skin combos to use when the leather sleeve is out.

The Pacific Blue color only will go well with just 1 clear skin. That is it.
Not bad but I will not be happy with just one clear skin.

Kind of shows why skin suppliers like dBrand and slickwraps showcase their skins with the graphite color iPhone 12 Pro/Max in their videos.

Last edited:

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
USA
Graphite iPhone 12 pro max for me.. Pacific Blue is what they’re making as their flagship color. My phone will be in a case anyway so having a different color besides black is a mute case because my phones always hides in a thick protective case..

pacific blue is overrated

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
Apple should have not put that MagSafe ring at the back of the clear case. It would have been a top seller for those buying the Pacific Blue color.

A good looking color case should not be hidden.

Actually all the iPhone 12 Pro colors are good. Just that the Pacific blue stands out the best.

Don’t get the Pacific Blue if you are planning to cover the phone. It will be a shame and also it will not go well with many case options (except the clear case)

Last edited:

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Tough decision, both Pac Blue and Graphite are extremely nice...but is really all came down to case colors. Went with Graphite Friday morning.

For me being a "case guy" for well over a decade, Graphite just gives me more options with colors. I already picked up the Baltic Blue leather case and this will almost give me the best of both Worlds / Colors in a tiny way.

I'd like to get a clear case at some point, something not too bulky. I have yet to see the perfect one without a review stating it turns yellow - sorry Apple, not yours...that darn magnetic ring screams "hideous" to me. I also like those "minimalistic" super thin cases - reviews on those are 50/50 mix of awesome and "don't waste your money"

Anyway, after weeks of trying to decide I don't regret the choice. :)

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
With the exception of my iPhones (usually get gold and use with a case) all my Apple devices are Space Gray. I think the color is beautiful, professional and doesn't distract from the screen which is the main attraction of any device.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
Apple should have not put that MagSafe ring at the back of the clear case. It would have been a top seller for those buying the Pacific Blue color.

A good looking color case should not be hidden.

Actually all the iPhone 12 Pro colors are good. Just that the Pacific blue stands out the best.

Don’t get the Pacific Blue if you are planning to cover the phone. It will be a shame and also it will not go well with many case options (except the clear case)
There are literally thousands of clear-case options available cheap on Amazon. The ONLY reason I'd shell out for the Apple version is to get my hands on a MagSafe optimized case.

Noah Bloom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
My graphite came in. It's awesome!!! I wish I could go caseless, but sadly I am one to drop my phone occasionally.

I do not normally do screen protectors, but since this ceramic material is more scratch-prone than previous iPhones (a downgrade imo), I went with the ESR tempered glass screen.

Link:

I prefer this type since it is edge to edge, versus the ones that have a cut out for Face ID. Would rather forget the screen protector is there.

Case wise, I'll likely pick up an apple official black leather or silicone, but still looking around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.