Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taytho

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
KC, MO
it seems like all the sites i am looking at are closed tomorrow or for the next few days..... does anyone know why?

tay

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
I don't know why this is in photography, and this is also a very stupid thread.

OMGBBQ ALL SITES I LOOK AT ARE DOWN, WHY!? TERRORISTS!

What sites, what browser?

taytho

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
KC, MO
calebjohnston said:
I don't know why this is in photography, and this is also a very stupid thread.

OMGBBQ ALL SITES I LOOK AT ARE DOWN, WHY!? TERRORISTS!

What sites, what browser?
jeez man.... i didnt say anything about terrorists..... my goodness

abes of maine

b & h

bestpricecameras.com

none of them are doing orders tomorrow........ just wondering.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
A few sites aren't doing orders tomorrow.. but they aren't down -- completely unrelated sites at that.

That's like saying "why do my fridge, air conditioning, and lamp not work?"

taytho

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
KC, MO
calebjohnston said:
A few sites aren't doing orders tomorrow.. but they aren't down -- completely unrelated sites at that.

alright.... phrased wrong then.

does anyone know why they arent taking orders tomorrow..... i havent made an order in a while, so i don't know if this is a common thing. I didnt know if it was a coincedence that they are not doing orders or what. I am just curious

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
taytho said:
alright.... phrased wrong then.

does anyone know why they arent taking orders tomorrow..... i havent made an order in a while, so i don't know if this is a common thing. I didnt know if it was a coincedence that they are not doing orders or what. I am just curious
Some of the most popular camera sites' owners are Orthodox, and therefore the sites (and B&M stores) observe the Jewish holy days.

Either that or they all said "Dang. Taytho hasn't made any orders in a long time, that's it, we're shutting down."

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
taytho said:
it seems like all the sites i am looking at are closed tomorrow or for the next few days..... does anyone know why?

tay

If you're looking at online stores based in NYC or its immediate environs, the answer is very simple: High Holy Days for Orthodox Jews. Many places such as B&H are owned and operated by Orhodox Jews who take their religion seriously and who mandate that the store be closed at the Sabbath (sundown Friday - through all day Saturday) and any religious holidays observed by Orthodox Jews, including Easter and Passover.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Clix Pix said:
If you're looking at online stores based in NYC or its immediate environs, the answer is very simple: High Holy Days for Orthodox Jews. Many places such as B&H are owned and operated by Orhodox Jews who take their religion seriously and who mandate that the store be closed at the Sabbath (sundown Friday - through all day Saturday) and any religious holidays observed by Orthodox Jews, including Easter and Passover.

Aren't High Holy Days the days between Rosh HaShanah and Yom Kipper? That's in September/October. I'm not aware of any Jewish holidays today and tomorrow. :confused:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
WildCowboy said:
Aren't High Holy Days the days between Rosh HaShanah and Yom Kipper? That's in September/October. I'm not aware of any Jewish holidays today and tomorrow. :confused:

People were celebrating Passover.

Sideonecincy

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2003
B&H photo closes down more days than anyone else. I would love to work for them, seems like they close down for a holiday every week.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Clix Pix said:

Jews celebrate Easter?

Lethal

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Sideonecincy said:
B&H photo closes down more days than anyone else. I would love to work for them, seems like they close down for a holiday every week.

I am not sure how to describe the Jewish beliefs of the owners at B&H. I may be wrong but Conservative Jews IIRC are more liberal than other sects.

B&H, as well as others follow a stricter belief in Holidays. After seeing the number of stores open for Xmas and Easter, I can only applaud them in supporting their beliefs. Even if it costs them sales. There is conviction for you.

I am heartened by the loss of sales that these companies face. Sometimes it is about beliefs, other times it is about the general feeling behind the holiday observance.

But the greedy Amrican value is based on profit and spending. Does it truely hurt you not be able to spend your $ on News Years Day? Or on Easter Sunday? What about Federal holidays like Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day? Would you so cheated by stores being closed these days?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
WildCowboy said:
Of course...I got hung up on the High Holy Days thing. WildCowboys are so dumb. :eek:

You're just on the wrong coast to be facing a lot of Jewish holidays. Though I don't live in the Philly area anymore, a lot of things go closed there over the various holidays and I expect that they do more often than what happens in reality.

Adorama Camera was also closed during Passover.

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
NYC
taytho said:

tay

Orthodox Jews celebrate Passover for a full week, many of whom are camera dealers. They should all be up and running Thursday night or Friday morning.

I've been waiting all week to purchase a Rebel XT.
First thing Friday morning I'll be a B&H.

taytho

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
KC, MO
CanadaRAM said:
Some of the most popular camera sites' owners are Orthodox, and therefore the sites (and B&M stores) observe the Jewish holy days.

Either that or they all said "Dang. Taytho hasn't made any orders in a long time, that's it, we're shutting down."
Forget the High Holy day theory..... i think you hit the nail on the head.... what did i do to deserve this?!?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
taytho said:

tay

Jewish Hollidays. Yes I know it's a stereotype but many of the New York merchant retailers are Jewish owned bussines I've got some photo stuff held up and some scuba stuff held up. Both sites are New York based. Actually it's a "Good Thing" that these people value traditions like this over makeing money.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Dude...

Seriously...they are creative companies.

Today is 4/20.

Do the math.

And smoke some...

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
I've been waiting to order a few things from B&H, and haven't been able to all week.

It doesn't bother me in the least, I can wait until they come back from holiday. Like others have said, I think it's impressive that they shut down for the entire holiday, and miss who knows much in revenue.

They'll still get my $3-400 come tomorrow.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
calebjohnston said:

Why did you act like an ass? :confused:

Chip NoVaMac said:
I
I am heartened by the loss of sales that these companies face. Sometimes it is about beliefs, other times it is about the general feeling behind the holiday observance.

But the greedy Amrican value is based on profit and spending. Does it truely hurt you not be able to spend your $ on News Years Day? Or on Easter Sunday? What about Federal holidays like Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day? Would you so cheated by stores being closed these days?
Also, you can just wait a week. ;) They're not saying they don't want your business. Your money is still good at those stores, just not now. Your money will still get you what you want next week.

Subiklim

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2006
Manhattan, New York
These aren't High Holy Days. It's Passover. Conservative jews don't celebrate all the days that the orthodox do, and seeing how most of the jews at B&H are orthodox they should take the days off. They also are off early on fridays, and no saturdays.
bh.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.