Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
This will kill the resell value of the air 3 down to used budget ipad.... while the 2018 11 pro should keep a pretty high resell value... probably 2-3 times the air 3...
I doubt it'll be 3x. Besides, customers likely paid less for the Air to begin with so probably not much difference in depreciation in absolute dollar terms.

I got my 256GB LTE Air 3 for $630 brand new. Similar config on 2018 Pro 11 was $950-1000 discounted.

In any case, I don't sell my iPads. I just tend to hand them down to family. The Air 3, I'm likely keeping forever (last natively supported resolution on my favorite abandonware ereader app).

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
I agree somehow with the resale value. But this comes also with risk. One scratch or one drop is enough to reduce it significantly. Or you lose it. And the more you paid for the device the more you lose in this case. An ipad is no asset IMO.

Reactions: Digitalguy

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I doubt it'll be 3x. Besides, customers likely paid less for the Air to begin with so probably not much difference in depreciation in absolute dollar terms.

I got my 256GB LTE Air 3 for $630 brand new. Similar config on 2018 Pro 11 was $950-1000 discounted.

In any case, I don't sell my iPads. I just tend to hand them down to family. The Air 3, I'm likely keeping forever (last natively supported resolution on my favorite abandonware ereader app).
yeah probably 2x rather than 3x but the 11 pro was not 2x more expensive either... in that example, in 1-2 years that air 3 might sell for 300 at most (less than half) with the air 4 in 11 pro style (pencil 2 and usb C) already out and that pro for more than half (e.g. 600) as it would still be superior in some ways to that equally specced air 4, minus battery wear.
Having said that, I don't sell most of my ipads either (I have sold 2 out of 9 and plan to sell only 1 more out of the 7 left, the others will stay for life or be given to family, as the resale value is not worth their utility).

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
This may be an unpopular opinion, but I can’t see who the iPad Air 3 is for.

On one hand, you have the 10.2” iPad 2019, which is much less expensive but offers overall the same capabilities, and on the other hand you have the iPad Pro 11” which offers 120Hz, the smaller bezel design, Face ID, and the laminated display (which the iPad Air 3 also has), at $300 more, which is no small price, but if price is a concern, I don’t see why anyone would go for the iPad Air 3. The iPad 2019 is marketed towards the average consumer in my opinion, whereas the iPad Pro 11 appeals more to the hard core nerds and actual professionals. Does anyone here have an iPad Air 3? Why did you choose it over the iPad 2019 or iPad Pro 11? I’m just not seeing why this iPad exists.

Why not? It's still cheaper than the Pro, and gives you the A12 Chip, True Tone, P3 wide color gamut, 7MP front camera, and the Laminated Display over the 329$ iPad. I think that's the iPad Apple wants to sell as a non-Pro model, but they also need the 329$ one because it's their best selling one, the budget one. Even Android users admit that the iPad is better than any other Android tablet. And at 329$ (often discounted to 249$ or 299$) it's a very good offer. But you can't give people the A12 chip, a Laminated Display, True Tone etc... and all the other stuff listed above for 329$. At 499$ starting price you think twice about buying an iPad. At 329$ or less? Not so much. Atleast this is how i feel.

Myself would like the 256 GB Wi-Fi-only Air 3, but i rather save the money and go with the 128 GB 10.2". The only thing i really miss on the 10.2" is True Tone, i love this feature on my 8 Plus. But they should have given it the A11 chip, not the A10 on the 10.2". But the A10 is still good enough for iBooks, YouTube, Safari, watching videos and movies... main tasks for such a device and also my purpose for it.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
yeah probably 2x rather than 3x but the 11 pro was not 2x more expensive either... in that example, in 1-2 years that air 3 might sell for 300 at most (less than half) with the air 4 in 11 pro style (pencil 2 and usb C) already out and that pro for more than half (e.g. 600) as it would still be superior in some ways to that equally specced air 4, minus battery wear.
Having said that, I don't sell most of my ipads either (I have sold 2 out of 9 and plan to sell only 1 more out of the 7 left, the others will stay for life or be given to family, as the resale value is not worth their utility).
That's partly my point.

$630 + 10.25% tax - $300 resale = $330 + $65 depreciation

$950 + 10.25% tax - $600 resale = $350 + $97 depreciation

Percentage-wise, depreciation is higher in the first case but in terms of $$$ amount, they'll likely be more or less on par.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
I don't sell my gear, so I personally don't care about "depreciation" - I use it as long as it works, then get something new, so "depreciation" is a completely irrelevant factor (for me).

The other thing, is that I don't try to anticipate what each model will get in the future - more often than not, it's wrong. Will the Air 4 be better than the Air 3 - sure... but I don't think as great as predicted by some here. After all we have this lesson - the new Pros... what a disaster! Other than an AR-ready camera, it really has almost nothing, certainly no "must have features". If I took seriously what people wrote about their ideas of what the new Pros will get, I'd be about suicidal right now. It was such a let-down. What makes you think the Air 4 won't be similarly a mild bump on the Air 3?

I'm happy with my Air 3 and I don't worry about the Air 4. I'll ride the 3 until there's a 11" Pro worthy of purchase - so far I am super underwhelmed with the new Pros. However long that will take. Apple is dragging their feet, because they have no incentive - there's little competition in the tablet space. So I feel my Air 3 will be an excellent performer for a long, long, long time before I feel obliged to buy something new. YMMV.

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
I see the Air 3 as the perfect upgrade path for me from a 9.7" Pro.
The only thing I don't get is a second set of speakers...other than that, I get smart connectivity (for keyboards etc), pencil support for the pencil I already have and a larger screen, WAY faster processor and (I think) more RAM.

For me it's a no-brainer...

SurferJoes

Suspended
May 12, 2020
I was going to get a mini 5 64gb, but at the moment you can get a Air 3 64gb 4g here for only $68AUD more, but only in silver usually i get space grey.
Tough decision.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
That's partly my point.

$630 + 10.25% tax - $300 resale = $330 + $65 depreciation

$950 + 10.25% tax - $600 resale = $350 + $97 depreciation

Percentage-wise, depreciation is higher in the first case but in terms of $$$ amount, they'll likely be more or less on par.
I do agree with your point, in absolute terms depreciation is on par at best. It was more for people who thinks in terms of... if I bought the pro I am out $300 more in the long term... well, not if you resell your devices (and in the meantime you have enjoyed a better device...)

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
I feel like the air is still too close in price to the base iPad imo. Its only roughly 100 more compared to the 400 more for the pro. They should add quad speakers and bump up the price to 500-600. Then it would actually be a middle ground.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I feel like the air is still too close in price to the base iPad imo. Its only roughly 100 more compared to the 400 more for the pro. They should add quad speakers and bump up the price to 500-600. Then it would actually be a middle ground.
The iPad Pro 9.7 and 10.5 were $599 and $649 respectively, had quad speakers and better camera. The Pro 10.5 even had ProMotion and OIS.

I don't think what you're suggesting will sell much better than the Air 3 at that price point. $499 was the original iPad launch price and I think a lot of users are anchored to that price point.

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
iPad Air 3 owner and I bought it because I got it for $260 new and no tax (thanks to shopmyexchange website).

It’s a really good tablet, but there’s no way I would’ve paid full retail for it. IMO the Air 3 should be priced at what the current 10.2” iPad is at and the 10.2” should be discontinued (selling a device with an A10 in 2020 is ridiculous...)

Reactions: snipr125

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
There's one way that I'm jealous of all of you iPad Air 3 owners--it's compatible with the best third party keyboard case I've ever used--the Zagg Rugged Messenger. I used it with my 10.5" iPad Pro and they still make it for use with the 10.5" iPad Air. I don't think they've changed the design at all though, so the big drawback is no trackpad.

I actually loved that keyboard case so much that it almost kept me from upgrading when the 11" models first came out.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
guys, you may want to have a look at this video, it gives you an idea of the rumors I was talking about yesterday...

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
The IPad Air probably exists to keep the buyers at the both ends happy.

If you want cheap, the Airvmakes the base iPad look like great deal: much cheaper and not much you feel was removed, at least in the short term.

Ifyou want to feel you invested in quality, the Air makes you go “ah lets just add a few bucks more for the Mercedes“, so to speak, and then you go get the Pro and you don’t look back, because the Air isn’t a truly compelling buy.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Ifyou want to feel you invested in quality, the Air makes you go “ah lets just add a few bucks more for the Mercedes“, so to speak, and then you go get the Pro and you don’t look back, because the Air isn’t a truly compelling buy.

Funny, because I feel the other way around - the Air is a goldilocks iPad - not too little and not too much... not too little in the way of capabilities (like the ordinary iPad) and not too much in cost for little extra capability (like the Pros).

It is in fact that best iPad for the price, IMHO. The Pro is too much for the little extra it provides and the ordinary iPad is way too little technical capabilities.

The above video speculation about the Air 4 is classic - if very, very clumsy - clickbait. Wild speculation about fabulous capabilities just around the corner - I, in turn am pretty much 100% convinced that will NOT happen. Want proof? Just look at the disgrace the updated Pros are - virtually nothing has been added... now you're telling me the Air 4 will be heads and shoulders above the Pros... when hell freezes over. Clumsy, clumsy clickbait.

Here's the reality. The Air 3 is a fantastic iPad and the best option of them all, IMHO, the Air 4 will be a small bump over the 3, just as the recent Pros were tiny, tiny bumps over the last Pros. YMMV.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

Funny, because I feel the other way around - the Air is a goldilocks iPad - not too little and not too much... not too little in the way of capabilities (like the ordinary iPad) and not too much in cost for little extra capability (like the Pros).

It is in fact that best iPad for the price, IMHO. The Pro is too much for the little extra it provides and the ordinary iPad is way too little technical capabilities.

My thoughts exactly.

Also, for those of us not in the US, the price difference between the Air in the Pro is even more pronounced. In Canada, the Air starts at $649CDN while the Pro starts at $1049CDN, plus in my province 13% tax.

SurferJoes

Suspended
May 12, 2020
You can get a Silver/Gold Air 3 256gb 4g here now for $760AUD on sale, the new 11" pro 256gb 4g is $1749.
I have been through the white spot with a 10.5 pro so is a bit of turnoff even at that price.
[automerge]1589953835[/automerge]
My thoughts exactly.

Also, for those of us not in the US, the price difference between the Air in the Pro is even more pronounced. In Canada, the Air starts at $649CDN while the Pro starts at $1049CDN, plus in my province 13% tax.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I think the more choice the better. I traded in my iPad Air 2 for the 10.2 last year and am happy with it. The screen is not laminated but besides that performance is great. I tested both the air and 10.2. Basically same performance.

Reactions: Falhófnir

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
You can get a Silver/Gold Air 3 256gb 4g here now for $760AUD on sale, the new 11" pro 256gb 4g is $1749.
I have been through the white spot with a 10.5 pro so is a bit of turnoff even at that price.
[automerge]1589953835[/automerge]

Yeah here in NZ, the price difference is quite large:

iPad Air 256gb Wifi = $1099NZD
iPad Pro 11 256gb Wifi = $1679

Difference: NZD$580.00

That's a lot of cash for minimal uptick for the average (non-power) user.

Reactions: joeblow7777

georgivelev

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2011
I agree with the OP that the Air 3 sits in a very awkward position. On one hand, it’s good enough for most of the use cases, however, its storage options are limited. If one can make do with the base storage then the Air 3 makes sense

However, if you are willing to pay for the 256GB then it would be much better to stretch for the 11” pro/256, especially if you like me keep these devices for 4+ years.

Another reason for the pro is the USB-C port which can be used for connecting peripherals. And the better display. There are just too many reasons to spend a little more for the 11”.

SurferJoes

Suspended
May 12, 2020
I agree with the OP that the Air 3 sits in a very awkward position. On one hand, it’s good enough for most of the use cases, however, its storage options are limited. If one can make do with the base storage then the Air 3 makes sense

However, if you are willing to pay for the 256GB then it would be much better to stretch for the 11” pro/256, especially if you like me keep these devices for 4+ years.

Another reason for the pro is the USB-C port which can be used for connecting peripherals. And the better display. There are just too many reasons to spend a little more for the 11”.

It's not worth a $1k more here ATM.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I think the air is a nice middle ground... for now. But if rumors are true, it won't age well, at all...
Rumors say the new basic ipad is coming with A12 this year and that the new air 4 is getting the 11 pro design (but with no promotion, no quad speakers and no face id, but side mounted or under-display touch id) with pencil 2 and usb c.... (and probably, but this is my guess, A13 and 4GB RAM...)
This will kill the resell value of the air 3 down to used budget ipad.... while the 2018 11 pro should keep a pretty high resell value... probably 2-3 times the air 3...

Oh wow. You’re right but that’s if the rumors are true. I have a standard 2018 iPad now and it works fine but I’m getting close to making a move here. This thread is exactly where I’m at. Tough call on what to get. The base model just seems so.... basic. :). The pro is way more than I probably need but your statements do come into play. Have to mull it over some more.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Oh wow. You’re right but that’s if the rumors are true. I have a standard 2018 iPad now and it works fine but I’m getting close to making a move here. This thread is exactly where I’m at. Tough call on what to get. The base model just seems so.... basic. :). The pro is way more than I probably need but your statements do come into play. Have to mull it over some more.
Personally, the recent price drops on the Apple certified refurb 2018 Pro make that a much more attractive offer versus the Air 3: $549 for 64GB Wi-Fi and $679 for 256GB Wi-Fi.

If I were in the market right now, that's what I'd aim for instead of the Air 3.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
The IPad Air probably exists to keep the buyers at the both ends happy.

If you want cheap, the Airvmakes the base iPad look like great deal: much cheaper and not much you feel was removed, at least in the short term.

To an extent right now yeah, though I do think it will start to make more sense if it does get the Pro design - then it becomes the 'default' option which gets you the desirable new design, just sacrificing some of the shinier bells and whistles that push Pro price point up to where it is.

Reactions: rui no onna
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.