Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Very frequently now, Mac OS opens the News app (in full screen, no less) when I log in or unlock the machine from sleep (such as today, where keyboard presses did nothing and I had to press the iMac's power button to wake it).

NO, I do NOT have News listed in Login Items! There are two threads on Apple Discussions that ask the same question, tens of "me too" clicks, and only ONE response, telling people in both cases to check the login items. Both threads are locked because they're "old". I'm not going to bother opening a new thread there because I don't want the same useless non-answer thrown at me.

ANYONE??

Also, if anyone reading this has a fix for one of the OTHER MANY ANNOYANCES: Banner notifications do nothing when clicked. At all. Ever. Well, they disappear, but that's it. "Updates available. [Install Now]" DOES NOTHING. Click banner to open App Store... DOES NOTHING. I've seen a thread here about that and nobody had solutions. (EDIT: clicking on iMessage notification banners works fine, but mostly none of the others)

EDIT 2: And while I'm at it, clicking the iMessage banners leaves me with a text box to type in, in Messages, but I get NO TEXT when I type. The autocorrect popups still appear, making this one of the most insane bugs ever. Tabbing around the UI is also broken. If I swipe to that fullscreen app, this also happens. The ONLY way I can switch to it and get working text box is CMD-Tab. So I am constantly clicking or swiping to the app to reply, being blocked by this insane bug, and then CMD-Tabbing angrily away and back again.

I feel like Apple has become Microsoft. I'm so sick of the tech industry.

Last edited:
Reactions: ipaqrat

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Reactions: dysamoria

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Thank you, bogdanw, for the link to KnockKnock. It didn't find any reference to the News app, but it's an interesting tool I did not know about previously.

I do use News sometimes, so I don't want to attempt to remove it.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I'm starting to think my issue with the News app is related to continuity. To be clear, I have NOT clicked on the News app icon in the dock when it appears seemingly randomly... but I HAD been reading news in the News app on my iPhone. I suspect Launch Control and other apps are not going to provide answers to this. I don't know what will. Continuity is supposed to give you the OPTION to continue what you were doing on another device, not THROW IT IN YOUR FACE (and no, it has never brought me to the news article I was reading, or had last read).

Reactions: recurringdream
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.