Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
It's entirely up to the carrier when your phone uses Wi-Fi calling.

For example, in my experience AT&T bases it on signal strength and whether the nearby tower is heavily loaded. It seems that in good signal conditions, AT&T would rather carry calls on its own network. This is understandable because AT&T has no control over whatever Wi-Fi your phone happens to be on, so there's a good bet that people with a strong cellular signal will have a better call experience on cellular.

In my office at work, which only has 1-2 bars of slow and unreliable cellular, my phone stays on Wi-Fi calling 100% of the time. At home where I have a huge cellular tower only a couple blocks away with full bars all the time and 600mbps speedtests, Wi-Fi calling is off a good 95% of the time. There are exceptions, and I suspect that it's when the tower is heavily loaded.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
It's entirely up to the carrier when your phone uses Wi-Fi calling.

For example, in my experience AT&T bases it on signal strength and whether the nearby tower is heavily loaded. It seems that in good signal conditions, AT&T would rather carry calls on its own network. This is understandable because AT&T has no control over whatever Wi-Fi your phone happens to be on, so there's a good bet that people with a strong cellular signal will have a better call experience on cellular.

In my office at work, which only has 1-2 bars of slow and unreliable cellular, my phone stays on Wi-Fi calling 100% of the time. At home where I have a huge cellular tower only a couple blocks away with full bars all the time and 600mbps speedtests, Wi-Fi calling is off a good 95% of the time. There are exceptions, and I suspect that it's when the tower is heavily loaded.
We’ve used WiFi calling with no issues in our home for over 7 years. Just within the last 8 months or so, a new tower was activated for AT&T less than a quarter mile from our home, with a very strong cell signal and actually faster download speeds than our Fios internet service. However, our devices remain 100% of the time on WiFi. The AT&T cell network has no impact on that function. The only time ours reverts to the cell network is when we’re a distance away from our home. Until 8 months ago, we had very poor service in our community on AT&T; now it’s terrific, but we still always use WiFi at home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.