Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
I realise products can’t simply be made ….. perhaps there is good reason rather than Apple simply being difficult. That’s all I’m saying. How practical and how popular would such a stand be ? Reality is you and I don’t know.
It blows my mind a little bit that someone has opened up a Mac, removed the chips from the Apple Silicon processor and soldered on more RAM… BUT, no one has taken apart an old keyboard to make a stand like this from it.

Now, do I have an old Magic Keyboard I’m not using?

Reactions: blairh

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Any idea why Apple doesn't offer a wireless charging stand for the iPad? (Think Magic Keyboard without the keyboard.)

I really don't understand why not. Not everyone wants/needs the keyboard portion. But it's hard to argue that magnet charging isn't awesome.

It's also strange how no third parties offer one either. I'm assuming it's because Apple won't license the tech to them. I know Pitaka has the MagEZ Stand but that requires you to use their specific case as well.
This “Think Magic Keyboard without the keyboard.” exactly !! I’ve been looking for this ever since the Magic Keyboard was announced. Nothing else elevates and orients the iPad for drawing or viewing like the Magic Keyboard, but many of us want just the adjustable elevation and orientation — without the keyboard. I’m surprised that neither Apple nor any of the accessory makers have figured this out. I’ve searched Amazon, Alibaba, Etsy and the general web and found nothing comparable. I just ordered the thinner and lighter 13” M4 iPad Pro to replace my beloved, but bit too heavy and bulky M1 iPad Pro and also had to order the Magic Keyboard largely to use it as a stand. 😏

Last edited:
Reactions: blairh

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
Seems like 3rd parties may make something like this soon, if they don’t already. I understand the convenience but prefer wired charging for now. If they make something Macbook-Magsafe-like, now that would be cool. For the meantime I appreciate USB-C being somewhat “universal” and easy to find a charge in many places.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
It blows my mind a little bit that someone has opened up a Mac, removed the chips from the Apple Silicon processor and soldered on more RAM… BUT, no one has taken apart an old keyboard to make a stand like this from it.

Now, do I have an old Magic Keyboard I’m not using?

I'm guessing most folks aren't willing to destroy a perfectly working Magic Keyboard in order to do this.

Now soldering more RAM lets someone avoid the exorbitant upgrade cost that Apple charges. I think in China, there are a bunch of shops that offer aftermarket iPhone and iPad storage/NAND flash upgrades as well.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Here is the charging stand that Google made for their Pixel tablet. Looks awesome. Doubles as a speaker too. Would love the same from Apple (with or without a speaker).

PixelTablet_Dark_back-scaled-e1683735940250.jpg

Reactions: alecgold

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Here is the charging stand that Google made for their Pixel tablet. Looks awesome. Doubles as a speaker too. Would love the same from Apple (with or without a speaker).

View attachment 2377002
Yeah, Apple should do that instead of a HomePod with screen. Apple has a weirdly limited view in the features and designs they come up with.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Because no always on display.

What’s the purpose of a stand without AOD?

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
I'm guessing most folks aren't willing to destroy a perfectly working Magic Keyboard in order to do this.

Now soldering more RAM lets someone avoid the exorbitant upgrade cost that Apple charges. I think in China, there are a bunch of shops that offer aftermarket iPhone and iPad storage/NAND flash upgrades as well.
The thing is, there’s a few people willing to destroy a more expensive perfectly working iPhone, I would think at least ONE person would have gotten the cheaper Magic Keyboard and do it a disservice.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The thing is, there’s a few people willing to destroy a more expensive perfectly working iPhone, I would think at least ONE person would have gotten the cheaper Magic Keyboard and do it a disservice.

I'm guessing phones get a lot more YouTube views than Magic Keyboard.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
I'm guessing phones get a lot more YouTube views than Magic Keyboard.
Yeah, but way fewer views are required to offset a $349 purchase. I wonder if there’s a teardown that shows why it wouldn’t work? To the googles!

EDIT:
(I wonder if it all stops working if even one of those tiny cables are broken. So, it’s just a lot harder than smashing an iPhone. :) Also. only two pins looked to be connected currently.
IMG_3002.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: alecgold

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Just came across these options. Look pretty cool

I can’t recommend the one with the segmented long arm (I had the non-charging version): The joints are very stiff and aren't easily adjusted, and their stiffness can’t be changed (no accessible screws, which also means the joints can’t be tightened should they wear out). And despite the stiffness, the iPad still wobbles on every tap. IMO it’s only usable if you don't need to adjust the arm often and mostly use it with keyboard and mouse/trackpad and not with touch.

Last edited:

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
I can’t recommend the one with the segmented long arm (I had the non-charging version): The joints are very stiff and aren't easily adjusted, and their stiffness can’t be changed (no accessible screws, which also means the joints can’t be tightend should they wear out). And despite the stiffness, the iPad still wobbles on every tap. IMO it’s only usable if you don't want to adjust the arm often and only use it with keyboard and mouse/trackpad and not with touch.
I would assume the same to be true for these. Not even the Magic Keyboard can prevent the device from wobbling with every tap.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I would assume the same to be true for these. Not even the Magic Keyboard can prevent the device from wobbling with every tap.
Metal stands in the style of the other model with the flat and wide “leg” tend to be quite stable. I’m using one (from a different brand) and the wobble is minimal. It’s when you need more height or a more extended arm that it becomes difficult.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.