Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emrelee

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2021
Funny. I tried drawing a straight line on the M4: no problem. I use a physical ruler to draw a straight line: wobble! Weird. It must have something to do with the effect of pressing the pencil against an edge that confuses the detection of the pencil.
Thanks for the info, have you tried something like a thick paper just to make sure nothing affects the contact of the pencil?
I was hopping this would have changed on M4, I have tried it on Wacom and there is no issues at all.

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
Thanks for the info, have you tried something like a thick paper just to make sure nothing affects the contact of the pencil?
I was hopping this would have changed on M4, I have tried it on Wacom and there is no issues at all.
It is happening when I restrict the pencil’s movement. Paper or ruler makes no real difference. Drawing by hand there is no wobble whatsoever.

Reactions: Unregistered 4U

emrelee

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2021
It is happening when I restrict the pencil’s movement. Paper or ruler makes no real difference. Drawing by hand there is no wobble whatsoever.
but it does not happen on perpendicular or horizontal strokes. So it has nothing to do with "limiting" the pencil. It's more like diagonal registration of the lines are creating stepped look. drawing apps usually smooths the strokes. Most professional artists prefer Wacom in any given day thou.

Reactions: benyyz

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
but it does not happen on perpendicular or horizontal strokes. So it has nothing to do with "limiting" the pencil. It's more like diagonal registration of the lines are creating stepped look. drawing apps usually smooths the strokes. Most professional artists prefer Wacom in any given day thou.
Uh yes it does wobble in all directions, at least for me on the M4.

Reactions: Unregistered 4U

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
Uh yes it does wobble in all directions, at least for me on the M4.

emrelee

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2021
Funny. I tried drawing a straight line on the M4: no problem. I use a physical ruler to draw a straight line: wobble! Weird. It must have something to do with the effect of pressing the pencil against an edge that confuses the detection of the pencil.
I kinda solved the issue, if I use a ruler without touching it to the screen, there is no wobble. I placed a thick book on the side and box like Magic Keyboard box, then try it that way (without touch the tip to the reference object), no wobble. But wobble starts happening if I place my hand on the surface of the screen. So it happens when you contact the screen. This is not an issue on Wacom, probably the way pencil works there is a different tech.

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
I kinda solved the issue, if I use a ruler without touching it to the screen, there is no wobble. I placed a thick book on the side and box like Magic Keyboard box, then try it that way (without touch the tip to the reference object), no wobble. But wobble starts happening if I place my hand on the surface of the screen. So it happens when you contact the screen. This is not an issue on Wacom, probably the way pencil works there is a different tech.
We are learning the ways of the Apple Pencil here 🤓

benyyz

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2022
I didn't notice wobbly diagonal lines on iPads until I got an iPad mini 6. Not a big deal since the mini is too small for me to draw on. My previous iPad Pro 10.5 with ESR tempered glass screen protector had didn’t have wobbly lines even with the screen protector on. I recently tried the 11-inch M4 and it has a slight wobble on its diagonal lines, and with a tempered glass screen protector, it definitely makes wobbly lines.

I’m returning the M4 iPad Pro and still keep using my 10.5 inch iPad. I can’t justify the upgrade when the new tablet is a downgrade in line quality.

Reactions: emrelee

emrelee

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2021
I didn't notice wobbly diagonal lines on iPads until I got an iPad mini 6. Not a big deal since the mini is too small for me to draw on. My previous iPad Pro 10.5 with ESR tempered glass screen protector had didn’t have wobbly lines even with the screen protector on. I recently tried the 11-inch M4 and it has a slight wobble on its diagonal lines, and with a tempered glass screen protector, it definitely makes wobbly lines.

I’m returning the M4 iPad Pro and still keep using my 10.5 inch iPad. I can’t justify the upgrade when the new tablet is a downgrade in line quality.
Yeah that makes sense, I was thinking of getting new iPad Air but it has 60hz refresh rate and I already got M2 iPad Pro's lying here somewhere, I was hopping to sell them both and get new one but my dream setup is iPad Pro 14" or 16" with Mac OS capability where I can use it as a laptop outside with keyboard and draw at home like Cintiq while connecting it to 27" display. Right now the way I use it doesn't justify the price tag. I can pretty much do everything I do with it with regular iPad as well.
Samsung s9 has great price in where I live (istanbul) m4 Starts from $2000 here where a s9 ultra 14,6" with 512gb 12gbram + pencil is $800.
what I hate about samsung is their customer service here. Otherwise all app that I use (photoshop, infinite painter, sketchbook, nomad, shap3d) are available on android as well.

New Surface pro is also very promising on paper so far..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.