Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slazareth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2006
Ok, so I know many people are not a fan of the $1800 price tag on a laptop that is super thin, but lacks many features such as a dvd drive. Well here's my thoughts on why the MBA is a great product.

If you've been watching apple, they are moving everything away from media based storage. You have a device for everything (iPod, mac, apple TV, iPhone). No need for CDs or DVDs or watching downloaded movies from your computer chair. Everything is going to digital downloads and this is where they are pushing things. So if you look at it in the context of today, this product is a compliment to that movement and is really pushing the envelope (pun intended).

Technology has become a race to see who can make it do more but fit into a smaller form. Apple is usually at the front of this madness. The MBA is just one more step towards getting rid of discs that get scratched and lost and whatever else. And if you need some sort of storage like a cd or a dvd, just carry a thumb drive. They're smaller, faster, and hold more than CDs and DVDs anyway.

The MBA is (for most) not meant to be a main computer. So at $1800 for a secondary computer it is a bit pricey. However, such is the cost of owning the cutting edge I guess. Instead of leaving the house now with a macbook, you can leave the house with a macbook air. This leaves so much room for other things in your bag or just a smaller bag in general. I had an incase sling pack and my MBP + a book took up just about the whole bag. I hate having to tote around bags in general, so the smaller and less obtrusive, the better.

The idea is that as everything goes digital, the devices that use the digital media should work accordingly. The MBA is a device that you could take to a meeting and show a presentation on. You could take it on a trip easily. People say yes, but what about watching a DVD or listening to a CD? Well it will require a bit of forethought or a broadband connection wherever your destination may be, but just download the movies and music onto your MBA before hand and you're golden.

So in summation I guess my point is that the MBA is amazing. It is pushing hardware the way software is going. And its kicking *($ in the whole who can make it smaller race. Granted this product isn't for everyone, but it is definitely a step in the right direction. Props to Apple for being innovative and on the forefront of design. One more addition to solidifying Apple. Each product and idea they come up with supports another product or idea. Its the best marketing/strategy of any company I know.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
I think it'll become a viable machine for more users once its processor catches up to the lowest-end Macbook. Until then, there's just this weird psychological feel from going backwards in power, while paying more money.

slazareth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2006
I think it'll become a viable machine for more users once its processor catches up to the lowest-end Macbook. Until then, there's just this weird psychological feel from going backwards in power, while paying more money.

perhaps, but you have to think of the power of the chip in context to what the device is supposed to do. If you're looking for a machine to run photoshop, this is not the machine for you. However, if you're looking for something to word process, check email, IM, listen to music, and watch movies on the go, then this machine is perfect for you, and can handle everything you need it to do.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
perhaps, but you have to think of the power of the chip in context to what the device is supposed to do. If you're looking for a machine to run photoshop, this is not the machine for you. However, if you're looking for something to word process, check email, IM, listen to music, and watch movies on the go, then this machine is perfect for you, and can handle everything you need it to do.

Yeah but so can a regular Macbook, and for a lot less! Regular Macbooks are already ridiculously small for what they do. It's not to say that I'm not impressed with the MBA, just that I think the price is a mistake.

I will say that I'm psyched to see a solid state HDD, too bad that I'd have to spend almost $3K for it.

SLC

slazareth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2006
Yeah but so can a regular Macbook, and for a lot less! Regular Macbooks are already ridiculously small for what they do. It's not to say that I'm not impressed with the MBA, just that I think the price is a mistake.

I will say that I'm psyched to see a solid state HDD, too bad that I'd have to spend almost $3K for it.

SLC

Oh I agree. If I was going to buy a laptop right now, I'd get a MB hands down. My point is that people need to look at the device for what its meant to do and be. Apple has always done things that may not be ready yet as far as cost is concerned, but its innovative and well done. (Apple Cube anyone?)

The small form factor of the MBA isn't going to appeal to everyone. And mostly its just not going to out weigh the extra power of a MB for the majority. But for those that want the smallest thing they can get. Here it is!

I just think that Apple is moving in the right direction and doing it well.

idunn

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2008
Really?

Why would anyone need a MBA, other than to pose with?

True, a bit lighter, but a MB is certainly portable enough. Other than weight and style it basically offers less performance than a MB for more money.

Now, if it had an OLED display or even performance which at least matched a BlackBook, then perhaps enticing.

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
im sorry but even the regular MB blows this thing away for $600 less

what do you get extra for the money? thinness? come on, the Mb is already thinner than most laptops, how freaking thing do you need it? do you want to cut yourself everytime you pick it up?

connectingrodd

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
Ok, so I know many people are not a fan of the $1800 price tag on a laptop that is super thin, but lacks many features such as a dvd drive. Well here's my thoughts on why the MBA is a great product.

If you've been watching apple, they are moving everything away from media based storage. You have a device for everything (iPod, mac, apple TV, iPhone). No need for CDs or DVDs or watching downloaded movies from your computer chair. Everything is going to digital downloads and this is where they are pushing things. So if you look at it in the context of today, this product is a compliment to that movement and is really pushing the envelope (pun intended).

actually more and more people are using their lap top for that very thing
Technology has become a race to see who can make it do more but fit into a smaller form. Apple is usually at the front of this madness. The MBA is just one more step towards getting rid of discs that get scratched and lost and whatever else. And if you need some sort of storage like a cd or a dvd, just carry a thumb drive. They're smaller, faster, and hold more than CDs and DVDs anyway.

nothing wrong with building a small form. I personally think that the macbook is a little heavy and bulky

The MBA is (for most) not meant to be a main computer. So at $1800 for a secondary computer it is a bit pricey. However, such is the cost of owning the cutting edge I guess. Instead of leaving the house now with a macbook, you can leave the house with a macbook air. This leaves so much room for other things in your bag or just a smaller bag in general. I had an incase sling pack and my MBP + a book took up just about the whole bag. I hate having to tote around bags in general, so the smaller and less obtrusive, the better.

1800 if you buy a stripped down model but if you want the flash hard drive which you were just singing the praises of you will have to come up with 3 grand. I'm sorry but for a computer that will probably not be very durable, has poor performance, poor battery life, and a horrible key board this is too much
The idea is that as everything goes digital, the devices that use the digital media should work accordingly. The MBA is a device that you could take to a meeting and show a presentation on. You could take it on a trip easily. People say yes, but what about watching a DVD or listening to a CD? Well it will require a bit of forethought or a broadband connection wherever your destination may be, but just download the movies and music onto your MBA before hand and you're golden.?
wow you're good at making excuses aren't you?

So in summation I guess my point is that the MBA is amazing. It is pushing hardware the way software is going. And its kicking *($ in the whole who can make it smaller race. Granted this product isn't for everyone, but it is definitely a step in the right direction. Props to Apple for being innovative and on the forefront of design. One more addition to solidifying Apple. Each product and idea they come up with supports another product or idea. Its the best marketing/strategy of any company I know.

It's not amazing though, see the problems I have listed above. It's not even that ultra portable, it has a screen just as large as the macbook!!

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
It's not amazing though, see the problems I have listed above. It's not even that ultra portable, it has a screen just as large as the macbook!!
Those 'problems' are not facts, they're opinions.

Personally, I wouldn't mind having one of the new MBAs, even though I already have a MacBook. My only issue would be more storage, but that will get to the point I'd like eventually. For power I've got a Mac Pro, and this would be great to take to class and take notes, play simple games like Sketchfighter or Redline and surf the web on the go.

Rotary8

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2006
if you're looking for something to word process, check email, IM, listen to music, and watch movies on the go, then this machine is perfect for you

I think the iPhone can do all of that and I'm sure it'll have word processing capabilities one day. Though not fun to type a few pages of anything on it.

robrose20

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
overpriced and underpowered

I will definately stick with my MBP. For $1799.00 you do not get a whole lot of computer. Sure it is thin and sexy looking, but its not that much smaller that a 15.4" MBP, and the difference in performance is probably significant.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
I don't get the MBA. Sure it is thin and it looks cool, but so what? What does it do that the MB or MBP do not? The trackpad is the only thing, which no doubt the next revision of the MB's and MBP's will have. I need a DVD drive, I don't give a crap about 'pushing the envelope' when I have a dvd to watch in my hand. I also need more than one USB port. Meh, it looks nice but it is something I would NEVER buy. Now if it was say REALLY small, like a 9 or 10" screen then we can talk - but that would have to be in ADDITION to a proper notebook.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
People are just honked off that Apple didn't announce the MacBook Pro update today.

They'll announce it next Tuesday (just as they announced the Mac Pro update last Tuesday) and everyone will praise Apple for being such a brilliant and forward-thinking company. :p

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007

SLC

you can put an SSD in to anylaptop, they are standard 2.5" drives yo ucan buy now, they are just $200-$500, not $2000

byeehaaw

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2007
New York, NY
im sorry but even the regular MB blows this thing away for $600 less

what do you get extra for the money? thinness? come on, the Mb is already thinner than most laptops, how freaking thing do you need it? do you want to cut yourself everytime you pick it up?

i agree hahaha so true

match311

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2007
I think a 13.3" screen is a perfect size especially for its thinness. Better on my eyes then try to work on a <12" screen.

This is an amazing product.

pepitko

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2007
The MBA is (for most) not meant to be a main computer. So at $1800 for a secondary computer it is a bit pricey. However, such is the cost of owning the cutting edge I guess.

fully agreed there, I'd buy one tomorrow if I didn't get a Macbook Pro for this Christmas.

As a second computer it is absolutely brilliant, stunning looking! Lossing DVD drive is a good step in my view. I've been using my 160GB external HDD for over a year, so I don't need a DVD drive at all. And if you have something on a DVD you can always pop it into something else.

Although I would bit a bit worried about the number of USB ports (from what I've seen there is only ONE?) and not being able to change the battery (but you can always ship it off to apple, right?)

connectingrodd

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
fully agreed there, I'd buy one tomorrow if I didn't get a Macbook Pro for this Christmas.

As a second computer it is absolutely brilliant, stunning looking! Lossing DVD drive is a good step in my view. I've been using my 160GB external HDD for over a year, so I don't need a DVD drive at all. And if you have something on a DVD you can always pop it into something else.

Although I would bit a bit worried about the number of USB ports (from what I've seen there is only ONE?) and not being able to change the battery (but you can always ship it off to apple, right?)

Ya and for 200-300 dollars plus the inconvenience they will send it back with a new battery, and poorly assembled

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Bizarrely, it falls to Dell/Sony-boy to say that in terms of spec or price I don't think think it sucks. Spec is reasonable for a discless notebook, although not quite as cutting-edge as Sony apart from the faster CPU (which will undoubtedly also find it's way into a Sony notebook sooner or later). I think it's reasonably priced for what it is.

Of course, whether it will rattle, bend, overheat, or whether that internal battery will perform the accordion trick known to so many MBP owners -and in this machine it will have far more disastrous consequences - is something else (and probably quite predictable).

Someone said that this will be a second computer to many. I don't doubt that - it'll also be the second or third computer in terms of my lineup of models. But I would imagine for many it would also be a daily machine. I don't know about you, but I really hate carrying machines like the MBP around. The Sony TZ is about the heaviest machine I can actually bring myself to carry on a daily basis, and the MBA is in that bracket - although it is heavier.

airjuggernaut

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
I think the macbook air is nothing more then a conversation piece.
Sure it isn't made for anyone, but even for the people its made for, its f**** expensive.
I definitely think we have another Cube on our hands.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
<snip> Props to Apple for being innovative and on the forefront of design. One more addition to solidifying Apple. Each product and idea they come up with supports another product or idea. Its the best marketing/strategy of any company I know.

Your whole post was really nice, I only snipped it so the mods won't yell about quoting long posts in their entirety...

I am so pleased that Apple has gone ahead with an ultaportable that incorporates and extends some of the gestures tech from the iPhone development. It's a lot better Rev A than I expected, which is why I went for the high end one when I placed my order.

It ships February 6 !!! It's for real!!!

Only thing I don't like much is the name Macbook Air. MBA is ok and cool enough I guess as a shorthand substitute. I'm naming mine Airhead :) because I'm lightheaded at the prospect of having a new machine, and silly to pay so much for it but that's really what I want to do. I skipped Macbooks so far and I have only bought a refurb G4s while waiting for this day...

Oh man will I ever sit by the window all day when I see in the tracking update that FedEx has my little Airhead on the truck.

I will love the three-finger swipe on the trackpad. I immediately became addicted to two-finger scrolling on the G4 Powerbooks. I now actually resent my ol' workhorse kitchen machine, a g3 ibook, for making me use a cursor and scrollbars. The 64Gb flash drive is perfect size for this type of machine, I am really psyched over having an intel machine at last. It's so impressive what those guys did getting the chip smaller. Everyone who has worked on this must be so tired but so proud and rightly so!

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
May 16, 2006
Central Florida!
I love it the MBP i had the keyboard sucked as did the latch, the macbook is great but I like the backlite keys and a bit smaller also hate the finish on the macbook, so I got the best of both....it perfect for surfing and crap.......

connectingrodd

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
I love it the MBP i had the keyboard sucked as did the latch, the macbook is great but I like the backlite keys and a bit smaller also hate the finish on the macbook, so I got the best of both....it perfect for surfing and crap.......

are you drunk, the macbook pro's keboard is 100x no wait 1000x's better than that of the macbook.

cdd543

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2006
Denver
Yeah I am underwhelmed as well. It has cool form factor, but that is about it. Nothing else about it blows me away. If you are taking away optical then give me more storage...Not worth $1800 to me. I will keep my giant mb pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.