Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I enjoy mostly taking urban architecture and landscape photos. I'm still unsure about a decision between zoom/fixed lenses, but am leaning towards fixed since they supposedly create a crisper end photo, and are supposedly better for learning. My budget would be somewhere between $500-$800 (or $1,000 if I'm in a spending mood).

The quality difference between fixed focal-length lenses and zoom lenses is overstated, and the advice is IMO outdated. However the cost differences are real. :)

When I was shooting DX I liked the Tokina 12-24 very much (that was the first generation; I think most of the people voting for it now are talking about the second generation). I did a lot of research prior to my purchase, and I must say what really stood out is how pretty much everyone who bought a wide-angle lens ended up being very happy with it - no matter which vendor (Nikon, Sigma, Tokina, even Tamron) they settled on. So the main advice I'll offer is don't sweat the decision too much; you'll almost certainly love whatever lens you end up with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.