Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
Haha, I see what you did there! “It just works”
Well really. Do you know where are the network antennas on your Android phone and do you think consciously about them? I did not and I have used Android phones for more than 10 years.
Could very well be down to OS! I am not at all a developer or nor do I know a lot about how the two OSs work fundamentally at their core with networking, but this question is something I do ask my self sometimes about iOS, especially when it comes to how it deals with networks both WiFi and Mobile Networks.
I remember going back to the late 2000s comparing my Dads iPhone 3G to the Nokia E90 and N81 I had at the time and wondering why the iPhone would be weaker in network and WiFi performance but I figured back then that the iPhone was still new and design may not be optimal, but over a decade later and these things are still happening.

Maybe Apple limit the amount of power supplied to the modems to ensure there is a good battery life balance?
Interesting idea. Maybe indeed. iPhones do have less battery capacity so that is a way to compensate.
Hopefully iOS 14.5 clears this particular issue up for the 12 Mini.
Fingers crossed.
With the above said I still get great signal and data speeds with my iPhone, but yes, when I sit and compare it to other devices that’s when I begin to notice that it’s not the best in this area at all. Hope Apple will figure this out one day, it’s something I also picked up with some Samsung’s, their smartphones don’t have the greatest signal performance in my experience to, Nokia, Huawei and Motorola have always been incredible for me and coincidentally they all have Networking units, although Nokia as it stands today is licensed by HMD.
I have not compared the iPhone 8 with the Sony I had. I can tell you though that my laptop has better connectivity compared to the 2018 iPP. It loads pages faster compared to the iPad. Now both use 802.11 ac but I guess the fact that my laptop has 2x2 antennas kind of changes the picture. So here I would say that the hardware is the culprit.

Reactions: Tsepz

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
Both of my android devices have much better connectivity to everything. I didn't realize how 2nd-class-citizen iOS devices are compared to Android (Thanks to Qualcomm) when it comes to wifi/cell.

But

All my iPhone's have superior Bluetooth performance compared to android
I don’t think I’d refer to iOS as a second class citizen, especially in comparison with Android lol. Thanks to Qualcomm’s amicable deal per the judge, they, too provide the iPhone’s modem. I believe it was just the one year Apple had to mix Intel modems (significantly slower) with ‘governed’ QC modems - so as not to piss off ½ the buyers.

that’s been a couple years ago now, and all current phones; Android and iOS are using QC modems. That said, Apple did buy out Intel’s modem IP (I think;)) and I’m sure will be working hard to integrate their own modems on the A/M series SoCs. Like the unified memory, integration of GPU, RAM, CPU & TBolt controllers - it only makes sense to continue to build out the stack with their own IP/engineering, optimized for the system.

FWIW; I’m using the latest Orbi w/2 satellites in a 2400 sq’ home. Gigabit down and 100MB up is what I pay for and easily get wired. I am able to get 7-800MB/s down and 75-90 up consistently on my iPhone 12 Pro Max and my iPad 3rd gen (2018), very similar, maybe 5% slower speeds. My 5G speeds tear my buddy’s Samsung S21(? I believe, their latest) apart. Both 5G and LTE the iPhone is @ least 50% faster, sometimes doubling the Samsung’s speeds up and down. The other major network mark is the ping speeds, and the new iPhones are damn quick. Both on WiFi (7-9ms) and 5G (6-10ms). That’s just fine to play online real-time FPS’s etc.

Anand’s site still does comparisons between each models speeds both WiFi and LTE/5G. Plenty of other reviews do as well. Neither is a second class citizen to the other. Similar build dates (or models of same gen) yield very similar networking speeds (albeit the year they were forced to use Intel’s modems). That goes for iOS and iPadOS macOS and Android/Windows. ?

thatsthequy

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Knock yourself out reading this. On the later pages, people have had confirmation from Apple about the known problem and that a fix has been confirmed in the coming ios 14.5

There are just as many people saying it has resolved their Wi-Fi issues as there are people who say it is especially broken still in beta 8.

Really worried about this since we have many client sites with iPads & iPhones currently experiencing issues when connected via 5Ghz. Tuesday cannot come quickly enough.

Vegas33139

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2014
Muffsville, Jannerbama
There are just as many people saying it has resolved their Wi-Fi issues as there are people who say it is especially broken still in beta 8.

Really worried about this since we have many client sites with iPads & iPhones currently experiencing issues when connected via 5Ghz. Tuesday cannot come quickly enough.
A strange situation for sure. Many millions of IP12's have no issue with Wi-Fi. Tens of thousands do have a problem with Wi-Fi constantly dropping on their devices. At least Apple have recognised there is a problem with the devices, and not peoples routers and/or set-up, and are endeavouring to fix it.

Everyone I know who had the issues, including me, especially with the 5GHz frequency, has seen the problem fixed running the current 14.5 beta ios. My IP12PM hasn't dropped a connection in over two weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.