Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
Hi Everyone!
I just thought I would document all the new tech support procedures or information specific to Mac with Apple Silicon (for example accessing the Target Disk mode or using the bootloader). This thread is a wiki so feel free to add anything else you find!

Mac computers with Apple silicon

Recover all your files from a Time Machine backup

Security features on your MacBook Pro

Security features on your Mac mini

If you need to install Rosetta on your Mac

Connect a display to your Mac

Revive or restore a Mac with Apple silicon with Apple Configurator 2

If you get a personalization error when reinstalling macOS on your Mac with Apple M1 chip

Ways to start up your Mac

Change startup disk security settings on a Mac with Apple silicon

Related:

About battery health management in Mac notebooks

Use Disk Utility to erase a Mac with Apple silicon

How to reinstall macOS

How to create a bootable installer for macOS

About system extensions and macOS

Enterprise management of legacy system extensions in macOS Big Sur

Use configuration profiles to standardise settings on Mac computers

About the Thunderbolt ports on Mac

Change Keyboard preferences on Mac with Apple silicon

If an error occurred while updating or installing macOS

If you lock a managed macOS device using MDM

If Touch ID isn't working on your Magic Keyboard with Touch ID

Specific to 14-inch and 16-inch Apple Silicon MacBook Pro​

Charge your 14-inch or 16-inch MacBook Pro

Fast charge your 14-inch or 16-inch MacBook Pro

About Mac power adapters

Use high-impedance headphones with new MacBook Pro models

About high-resolution digital-to-analog conversion on new MacBook Pro models

How to adjust an app's settings to appear below the camera area on your 14-inch or 16-inch MacBook Pro

Change the refresh rate on your MacBook Pro or Apple Pro Display XDR

Last edited:

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Could you link to "how to return your M1"? Just kidding! I'm so nervous about whether my ordered MacMini will work with my monitors, and BT keyboard and mouse. Bravo for your seriously helpful links! Thank you!

Reactions: adib

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Not sure if this is the proper place for this, but would a current USB-C Installer made from the full large 12+GB App Store download also work on the new M1's? Is the USB Installer Universal also?

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
Not sure if this is the proper place for this, but would a current USB-C Installer made from the full large 12+GB App Store download also work on the new M1's? Is the USB Installer Universal also?
I would follow Apple's instructions and create a new one to ensure the downloaded version is fully compatible with M1 Macs.

Reactions: gank41

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Wow, the Enterprise management article is very useful - my organization purchased 300+ MBP and we did not want to have to open every single box and touch them (start MDM activation, enter user's AD credentials after reset, etc).

We have a new 3rd party MDM that can automatically enroll the user upon internet connection out of the box as we have all 300+ devices enrolled in MDM with Automated Device Enrollment.

Now we just hand the sealed MBP out and the Apple's DEP server will communicate with our MDM provision server and handle activation without us touching them!

What a novel Covid idea!
Thanks!

• Love
Reactions: DeanL
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.