Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lewis_cooper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2016
=
Hi all,

As we all know, we'll very likely (almost guaranteed to) see new iPhones in September. My question is, do Apple allow you to return your newly purchased iPhone if a new model is announced shortly after you do so? For example if I bought an iPhone 8 on September 3rd and they announce the new on on September 14th will they allow me to return my phone for a full refund or exchange?

Or does it just fall under the 14 days no(t too many) questions asked refund policy?

Thanks in advance,

Last edited:

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
If you want the new phone, then wait to get the new phone. The 14 day return window is not risk-free - if you drop your phone or it gets stolen - you are SOL.

lewis_cooper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2016
=
They should still honour the 14 day refund policy, though I'd question why you'd be buying a new iPhone if there's a new one coming within a fortnight of purchasing.

I'd question it too. This isn't my my plan I should add, however I wondered if the fact that these announcements are expected events these days had any effect on their policy.

On the one hand, you'd be pretty annoyed that you just bought something that was replaced within a matter of weeks but on the other… how on earth could you not know they were coming?

I suppose it's quite possible that one might not be in 'the know' as much as us forum users are but it does make me wonder how honest the Apple store employees might be in the days leading up to the launch. I'd like to think they might offer a subtle hint that it might be worth waiting a week, ahem ahem. :)

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
Not to mention you have to pay a restocking fee and it’s a major pain in the ass. So just wait til the new one comes out that would be my opinion anyway.

lewis_cooper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2016
=
They should still honour the 14 day refund policy, though I'd question why you'd be buying a new iPhone if there's a new one coming within a fortnight of purchasing.

Also, what if one had their phone stolen just a fortnight before the launch but you depended on having a smart phone (for whatever reason) and thus didn't have the option to wait two perhaps four weeks… even though you knew a knew one was coming? Tough luck?

It's an interesting question because not only are there new phones to miss out on, the phone you've just bought is likely to have dropped in value by up to as much as £100/$100.
[doublepost=1534870100][/doublepost]
Not to mention you have to pay a restocking fee and it’s a major pain in the ass. So just wait til the new one comes out that would be my opinion anyway.

"Moreover, Apple no longer assesses a re-stocking fee on returns."
Albeit from 2011. Not sure if it's still true.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
You abide by the 14 day return policy, just like everyone else does. Apple does not have to offer any exceptions outside that just because you want the newest phone. In my Opinion based off readings, they are *much* stricter about the 14 day return policy as well.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Hi all,

As we all know, we'll very likely (almost guaranteed to) see new iPhones in September. My question is, do Apple allow you to return your newly purchased iPhone if a new model is announced shortly after you do so? For example if I bought an iPhone 8 on September 3rd and they announce the new on on September 14th will they allow me to return my phone for a full refund or exchange?

Or does it just fall under the 14 days no(t too many) questions asked refund policy?

Thanks in advance,
As long as you are within the 14 day return period, you should be all set.
[doublepost=1534908135][/doublepost]
I guess that depends on where you purchased the phone. Apple Store and Apple.com don't charge you a restocking fee.

Hater

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
Also, what if one had their phone stolen just a fortnight before the launch but you depended on having a smart phone (for whatever reason) and thus didn't have the option to wait two perhaps four weeks… even though you knew a knew one was coming? Tough luck?

If you don't have handset insurance, you buy a new phone. If you can't afford the latest phone when it comes out in 10 days time, you *shock horror* continue to use the phone you just bought

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
There is no restocking fee.

Apple Store and Apple.com don't charge you a restocking fee.

Incorrect. Read what Apples policy says. For the record, other members _have_ been charged a restocking fee for iPads and iPhones in the past, but discretion is involved.

https://www.apple.com/sg_smb_5200/shop/help/returns_refund

Direct from Apples website:

iPhone/iPad return policy
If you are not fully satisfied with your iPhone/iPad purchase, you can return your undamaged iPhone/iPad to the Apple Online Store within 14 calendar days from the time you receive your iPhone(s)/iPapd(s) for a refund. A 25% open box fee will be assessed on any opened unit (per unit). A 15% restocking fee will be assessed on closed box returns (per unit). Please visit online Order Status or call 1800-MY-APPLE to request a return. The iPhone/iPad must be returned in the original packaging, including any accessories, manuals, and documentation.”

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Incorrect. Read what Apples policy says. For the record, other members _have_ been charged a restocking fee for iPads and iPhones in the past, but discretion is involved.

If you are not fully satisfied with your iPhone/iPad purchase, you can return your undamaged iPhone/iPad to the Apple Online Store within 14 calendar days from the time you receive your iPhone(s)/iPapd(s) for a refund. A 25% open box fee will be assessed on any opened unit (per unit). A 15% restocking fee will be assessed on closed box returns (per unit). Please visit online Order Status or call 1800-MY-APPLE to request a return. The iPhone/iPad must be returned in the original packaging, including any accessories, manuals, and documentation.”

I disagree here.

Actually the link you posted is from Singapore and NOT U.S. At least in the U.S, Apple does NOT charge you a restock fee on items you return.

Nowhere does it state that in the Apple Return and Policy in the U.S.

https://www.apple.com/shop/help/returns_refund

Last edited:
Reactions: Newtons Apple

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I respectfully disagree here, this policy may have been the past but currently Apple does NOT charge a restock fee and of all the returns I have done in the past.

You’re disagreeing with something which you said was untrue, when the writing proves otherwise. The fact is, they _do_ have a restocking fee, the caveat is rather they *choose* to enforce that or not, may not applicable to every store experience, I Won’t refute to what online returns are subjected too. And yes, other members have been charged a restocking fee throughout the iPhone and iPad forum.

At least in the U.S there is NO restock fee for Apple.com or Apple store returns.

Again, false. You were proven incorrect. I think it’s variable, and it’s based on either the store level, which not every situation maybe under the same circumstances given exception for the return or reasons being.
[doublepost=1534938026][/doublepost]
Actually the link you posted is from Singapore and NOT U.S. At least in the U.S, Apple does NOT charge you a restock fee on items you return.

If you edit your post after response, make sure you add [edit] to it, as it’s confusing to other members in discussion.

In addition, it doesn’t change the fact that other members have been charged a restocking fee, specifically others have mentioned this throughout the iPad and iPhone forum. I have been charged a restocking fee for the record.

Last edited:

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
You’re disagreeing with something which you said was untrue, when the writing proves otherwise. The fact is, they _do_ have a restocking fee, the caveat is rather they *choose* to enforce that or not, may not applicable to every store experience, I Won’t refute to what online returns are subjected too. And yes, other members have been charged a restocking fee throughout the iPhone and iPad forum.

Again, false. You were proven incorrect. I think it’s variable, and it’s based on either the store level, which not every situation maybe under the same circumstances given exception for the return or reasons being.
[doublepost=1534938026][/doublepost]

If you edit your post after response, make sure you add [edit] to it, as it’s confusing to other members in discussion.

In addition, it doesn’t change the fact that other members have been charged a restocking fee, specifically others have mentioned this throughout the iPad and iPhone forum. I have been charged a restocking fee for the record.
Again, when I return apple product to Apple, I have NOT been charged a restock fee at all.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Again, when I return apple product to Apple, I have NOT been charged a restock fee at all.

That may be true and I’m not debating *your* experiences, but it doesn’t shy away from What you posted earlier in the thread was untrue. Also, You’re Speaking to _one_ experience from yourself, you’re not speaking for the *majority*, other customers have had restocking fees assessed. I just acknowledged that I had a restocking fee applied, so clearly it does exist. You may not have been, others have been.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
That may be true and I’m not debating *your* experiences, but it doesn’t shy away from What you posted earlier in the thread was untrue. Also, You’re Speaking to _one_ experience from yourself, you’re not speaking for the *majority*, other customers have had restocking fees assessed. I just acknowledged that I had a restocking fee applied, so clearly it does exist. You may not have been, others have been.
Actually what I posted earlier in the thread is True I guess depending on region. As far as the link you posted about the policy, that may be the case in Singapore there they may still charge you the restock fee for returned items.

I've clearly asked the Apple store manager and the sales team when I return an apple product back to Apple to see if there is a restock fee, and they simply said there is no restock fee for any apple product you return to Apple.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I've clearly asked the Apple store manager and the sales team when I return an apple product back to Apple to see if there is a restock fee, and they simply said there is no restock fee for any apple product you return to Apple.

I can understand if you won’t admit you’re incorrect, however; just because you asked the store manager in your area applies to everyone else? When I just provided you a clear counter example of a restocking fee was assessed . You keep going back to your own anecdotal experience, which I acknowledged is true, but that doesn’t mean it applies to everybody else’s situation either, because I have been charged a restocking fee, and there have been other members throughout the iPad/iPhone forum who have been also. So I’m not sure why you’re trying to assert a broad stroked picture when it doesn’t apply to every specific situation. Moving on, This discussion is circular and not progressing.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA

Apple doesn't charge restocking fees in the US period. If you were charged a restocking fee in the US, then you were ripped off. Apple eliminated restocking fees in the US back in 2011.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
Apple doesn't charge restocking fees in the US period. If you were charged a restocking fee in the US, then you were ripped off. Apple eliminated restocking fees in the US back in 2011.
9EAD466D-B1DC-4D61-B96A-2D0DB2AB216A.png
09F6EAC1-34D2-4CAA-9DB9-D9CBF9D1A108.png
6D848072-DEC4-4AB4-AD19-E34BD091DFF9.png
]

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
Hi all,

Thanks in advance,
Absolutely fine.

However Apple don't do discount, so price wise, iPhone 8 might be a bad choice compared to the 6.1" LCD iPhone coming soon.

If you get a discount somewhere, and the place has a refund policy, ya sure, test out the iPhone 8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.