Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
Unlike it’s big brother, the HomePod Mini has a USB-C cable which plugs into a little power brick. Which got me to wondering if the HomePod Mini might be able to plug into a portable battery pack? That way, in a pinch, you could use it away from power outlets temporarily? Or in a power outage?

• Haha
Reactions: dominiongamma

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Unlike it’s big brother, the HomePod Mini has a USB-C cable which plugs into a little power brick. Which got me to wondering if the HomePod Mini might be able to plug into a portable battery pack? That way, in a pinch, you could use it away from power outlets temporarily? Or in a power outage?
I don’t see why not. It’s a power source. That’s a good idea for anyone looking to make their HomePod Mini more portable.

Braindome

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2016
Remember it's totally reliant on WiFi, so could be a pain to use away from a mains supply. Guess it might be possible to pair via a personal hotspot.

Last edited:

Shabbis

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2008
I tried to hook the mini up to an Anker Powercore+ 20100 USB-C battery and got the flashing orange warning which Apple states that the power source doesn’t have enough power. I found this odd as this battery can power my MacBook Pro Core i9.

Has anyone found a compatible external battery yet?

JimKas

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2014
Chicago Area
According to Apple's tech specs, the power adapter puts out 9V, 2.22A which is required by the HomePod mini. Unless your battery can put that power out, it probably won't work. I have an Anker 26,000 mah battery, but it only puts out 6V. Out of luck

Jason2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2019
Planet Earth
According to Apple's tech specs, the power adapter puts out 9V, 2.22A which is required by the HomePod mini. Unless your battery can put that power out, it probably won't work. I have an Anker 26,000 mah battery, but it only puts out 6V. Out of luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.