Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jamesk811

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2015
Hi, I have an existing magnet mount I have been using for all my phones in the car but it looks so ugly sticking a big magnet to the back o the phone. Now that Apple has a magnet built in to the back, will my Iphone 12 stick to the magnet mount? Or will it only work with magsafe magnet mounts?

Thanks

Oblivion1337

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2018
UK
No charging capability but only vent magnet mount. Availability on October 16 at Apple store if I am not wrong.

Phone MagSafe should be working with your existing mount too. It is just a magnet in my two cents.

Reactions: tjv82c

tjv82c

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2015
No charging capability but only vent magnet mount. Availability on October 16 at Apple store if I am not wrong.

Phone MagSafe should be working with your existing mount too. It is just a magnet in my two cents.

Having this with a charger is the obvious thing... right?

pirategrad

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Austin, Texas
I’m curious about this too. I would buy the Belkin mount but most vent mounts don’t work in my wife’s vehicle. We stick the mount to the dashboard using 3M tape. We adhere the metal mounting plate inside the case rather than the phone and cover the plate with tape to prevent scratching the phone surface. Works good and holds the phone nicely. It would be nice not having to do that.

Jamesk811

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2015
I have a logitech vent mount but I don't like sticking the black magnet on the back of the case as it ruins the aesthetic. It would be great if someone knew if this magnet will attach to any vent or dash magnet mount?

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
I sure hope it will work.
Most magnetic mounts have you put a metal plate on your phone, not another magnet.
What if the magnets in the 12 and the magnets in your mount actually repel instead of attract?
I think Apple’s arraying of multiple magnets should take care of that issue but we’ll have to wait and see.

Reactions: strixton

Truckondo

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
The magnets appear to be arranged in a circular pattern inside the phone or case leaving the middle open for charging. It might work if the magnetic base is big enough to cover the back.

Bomb617

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2012
SoCal
I just try it on my iphone 12 Pro with cheap clear plastic case from amazon and the phone stick to my genetic megantic car mount. The force might not be as strong as with a metal plate but it stick and not falling down. Will test it for few more days with some driving.

mxidis88

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2013
SLC, UT
Yup. It’s not been great. The fit on the MagSafe charger is sturdy enough that I any just put some 3m tape on the back and use that as a car mount.

subzero123

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Yup. It’s not been great. The fit on the MagSafe charger is sturdy enough that I any just put some 3m tape on the back and use that as a car mount.
So wait that is working? Just sticking the MagSafe to the car mount? That sounds like a good solution right?

Reactions: JasonHB

mxidis88

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2013
SLC, UT
So wait that is working? Just sticking the MagSafe to the car mount? That sounds like a good solution right?

I took down the old magnetic mount and put the MagSafe charger with some strong double sided 3m tape up in its place. That is more than strong enough of a hold for my needs.

subzero123

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
I took down the old magnetic mount and put the MagSafe charger with some strong double sided 3m tape up in its place. That is more than strong enough of a hold for my needs.

Well this is a good thing then. It means that an adapter or entirely new system could be made to allow the MagSafe puck to be a vent mounted or nightstand mount and just pop a name phone on it. I dont use a case so it could be strong enough. I get my ip12 tomorrow so I will test it out as well.

RonFromOregon

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
I tried it on my iOttie iTap magnetic Qi charger, and the pull was very weak. As soon as I started to drive, it fell off.

mxidis88

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2013
SLC, UT
Well this is a good thing then. It means that an adapter or entirely new system could be made to allow the MagSafe puck to be a vent mounted or nightstand mount and just pop a name phone on it. I dont use a case so it could be strong enough. I get my ip12 tomorrow so I will test it out as well.
Yeah. It seems that the magnets are strong enough only if the adapter is built for it...old magnetic mounts are gonna be kind of rough.

Reactions: PhillyGuy72

cman-uk

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2009
Hi, I have an existing magnet mount I have been using for all my phones in the car but it looks so ugly sticking a big magnet to the back o the phone.
Are you sticking a magnet to the back of your phone?

Normally the magnet is in the mount, and the metal place is on the back of the phone....

Reactions: strixton

bbechtel16

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2020
So maybe going forward we need mounts that just use a metal plate instead of a magnet? Will that work?

cman-uk

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2009
So maybe going forward we need mounts that just use a metal plate instead of a magnet? Will that work?
Doubt it, the magnets in the phone aren't strong enough to even hold the wallet on securely.
Ideally the magnets need to be Neodymium magnets (grade N42 or above). Then, bumps in the roads, off road use, etc. wouldn't pose a risk.

Reactions: bbechtel16

bbechtel16

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2020
Oh boy...I'm upgrading from a 2016 SE, and our weekend family vehicle is old and has to use a headphone jack for aux in, so I already purchased a lightning to headphone/lightning charge box, but really I should go to magsafe mount and charge in that vehicle and just use a simple lightning to headphone adapter. Doh.

bbechtel16

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2020
I ended up just buying a cheap universal magnet vent mount kit, and a cheap clear iPhone case with a metal piece built into the center of the back with a kickstand ring on it. Seems like they mate pretty securely. Still waiting for the actual phone.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I ended up just buying a cheap universal magnet vent mount kit, and a cheap clear iPhone case with a metal piece built into the center of the back with a kickstand ring on it. Seems like they mate pretty securely. Still waiting for the actual phone.
How did this work for you?

I still have this small magnet in my car, but I had a plate between my case and my old XS Max phone. That was a strong connection. The 12 ProMax with a Magsafe case...the connection is just weak. I would try the plate but I was getting some QI charging issues. (Guessing the plate was overlapping the circle magsafe?)

About 3/4 in wide I guess.
Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 10.36.04 AM.png

I see 3, 4 dollar magnets at HomeDepot, I'd just slap this 2in diameter in my car, perfect size for the Pro Max Ring...but these are VERY strong magnets!

Maybe thinking too much, the one thing I can picture, fear is connecting the phone,MagSafe case to the magnet (Options - "Strong enough to pull 10, 20, 25lbs") and literally ripping apart the insides of the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.