Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jacksonc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2013
Jony's house
Apple has seemingly ignored the iPod lineup, so it seems likely that the iWatch could be the replacement. What do you guys think?

bchery21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
Boston, MA
I don't think so. I not too sure this wearable device would be able to replace an mp3 music player. That being said, I wonder what Apple has in mind for the iPod; streaming music is what's popular now. Perhaps the iPod Nano will still be popular for athletes/runners...who knows.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
Apple has seemingly ignored the iPod lineup, so it seems likely that the iWatch could be the replacement. What do you guys think?

Nope, I doubt that Apple will expect you to run earbuds down your arm to your watch instead of into your pocket... although it COULD connect to your iPod and let you change music which would be cool!

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
I don't think it will in it's current state. Though we don't know much about it, I doubt it would have more than 8GB or 16GB of storage on it. And it probably won't go a week on a charge like my Classic.

That and running a cable to your wrist just doesn't make sense and would be in the way. Unless it was bluetooth, but I'm guessing it may already be connected to said iPhone with bluetooth, so it wouldn't connect to the headphones, unless it can do two at once. But then if you have an iPhone you'd just use that for music.

To be able to replace the iPod it would have to be able to be used as a standalone device without an iPhone attached. And have ample storage, along with a long lasting battery. Probably not going to happen.

Now years down the line with improvements in technology, better battery tech, better, higher capacity NAND, and screen tech. Sure, it may be possible. But for the first gen, I doubt it.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Bluetooth earphones + First gen iWatch (with full iOS and Bluetooth) = will replace iPod for many users if Apple decides to include high capacity NAND flash storage options. However, price may be a differentiating factor.

TrentS

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Overland Park, Kansas
They should first add inductive charging to the iPod and also make a 3-D screen for the iPod first before any other device that they make so as to gain back interest in the iPod once again.

:eek: :cool:

MasterChat

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2014
Philippines
They should first add inductive charging to the iPod and also make a 3-D screen for the iPod first before any other device that they make so as to gain back interest in the iPod once again.

:eek: :cool:

I haven't really lost interest in the iPod. I may be considered outdated, but I still find iPod useful in my travels and daily exercise.

j_appel

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2004
Illinois
I haven't really lost interest in the iPod. I may be considered outdated, but I still find iPod useful in my travels and daily exercise.

I use my iPod nano (with bluetooth) in my vehicle all the time. Saves the battery on my iPhone. Sure, it's another device I have to manage, but it's not a big deal to me right now.

MasterChat

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2014
Philippines
I use my iPod nano (with bluetooth) in my vehicle all the time. Saves the battery on my iPhone. Sure, it's another device I have to manage, but it's not a big deal to me right now.

Yeah. The battery I could save by using iPod is still outstanding compared to my phone. I've read smart watches might have trouble having longer juices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.