Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will the base M3 Max & Ultra SSD speed be cut in half?

• Yes

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • No, M3 Max & Ultra will have same SSD speeds as M1 Max & M1 Ultra.

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2022
Last year, Apple cut the SSD speed in half on their entire base M2 line-up, including the 14" M2 MBP. The only machine that still had the original SSD speed of M1, was the M2 Max inside the base 16" M2 Max MacBook Pro.

So you know Apple could do the same for the upcoming M3 Max & Ultra to make extra $$$$$$.

smithdr

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2021
My impression is that Apple did not cut the SSD speed. What they did was substitute one SSD chip for the two SSDs they had M1 product. If you pay the Apple tax for increased storage (this adds another SSD chip) then you get the speed. It is faster to write to two SSDs than to one.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
People need to understand that the larger your SSD space is, the faster it gets. I have 8 Macs right here with various sizes. ONLY my 8TB models get the advertised speeds from Apple. My 4TB models including my M2 Ultra Mac Studio 4TB only gets 5 GB/s and NOT the advertised 7 GB/s like my 8TB ones do (which is roughly 6.7 GB/s so close enough). See attached, ran on my 4TB model. Other 4TB get the same speeds.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-09 at 10.09.05 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-09 at 10.09.05 AM.png
    190.6 KB · Views: 212

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I fully expect Apple to use fewer larger capacity NAND chips as they did with the M2 models as they are (now) cheaper than using more smaller ones like with M1.

Reactions: Tagbert

ewu

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2020
I used to see a message that "when apple has its own process, mac will be cheaper than Intel cpu."

However, I could see that apple's own chip didn't help on pricing. Pricing is getting higher and higher since ram is integrated with CPU/GPU.

I have strong feeling that Apple could make Mac to use NVME ssd such 980 pro. but I don't think Apple will do so, pricing which goes too high never worried Apple since Apple assumes that every mac user is rich man.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
I used to see a message that "when apple has its own process, mac will be cheaper than Intel cpu."

However, I could see that apple's own chip didn't help on pricing. Pricing is getting higher and higher since ram is integrated with CPU/GPU.

I have strong feeling that Apple could make Mac to use NVME ssd such 980 pro. but I don't think Apple will do so, pricing which goes too high never worried Apple since Apple assumes that every mac user is rich man.
There was no way Apple Silicon Macs were ever going to be cheaper than Intel based ones. More for your money on the lower-end devices and MacBooks for sure... but Apple is in trouble if they think that the Studio and Mac Pro can remain competitive without either making RAM and storage user upgradable, or slashing their ridiculous upgrade costs. There is nothing special about the DDR5 or NAND chips they are using.

Prices are not necessarily going up, they are just not changing with the times.

I don't know if Apple assumes their users are rich, but they are used to consumer buying power being what it has been with one of the best economic periods of all time. People have been more inclined to pay more, or use credit, for things they perceive to be "better." That is mostly why the cost of upgrading a MacBook Pro from 16GB to 32GB today is the same pathetically overpriced US$400 as it was if you bought an Intel based MacBook Pro in 2017 or 2018.

Reactions: BusanAA

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
I believe the real issue is that the lower capacity NAND chips are no longer being produced...?
Surely they must still be making an enormous number of 128 GB (and smaller) chips for smart phones.
According to this survey, the most popular option for Android phones is 128 GB:

But then I suppose the question becomes: Is the (presumably) very high-end NAND that Apple uses availabe in 128 GB sizes? I know very little about this, so I attempted to identify the most advanced NAND currently produced. Based on the linked articles from Anandtech, below, this appears to be: SK Hynix's 238-layer, Micron's 232-layer, and Kioxia/WD's 218-layer processes. And, from those articles, it appears at least the first two are available in sizes of 64 GB and 128 GB, respectively:

"SK Hynix's first 238-layer 3D TLC NAND device has a 512 Gb capacity (64 GB)"
"Micron can now also produce 2TB chip packages by stacking 16 of their 232L dies" => 2000/16 =>128 GB

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
I really hope Apple puts out a MBP16" configuration with 2TB so I can buy it discounted from 3rd party.

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
Anyone buying base models rarely prioritize SSD speeds. Those who do will willingly buy up to get it.

When building any product or service it should match up with the typical use case.

Also consider that Macs and other Apple products and services are inelastic in nature.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tagbert

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
For crap’s sake. Those drives are not “slow.” They ARE slowER than the higher models but they are not slow by any stretch of the imagination.

Everyone needs to get over it.

100% this ^

These speed differences are hardly noticeable in normal day-to-day usage. Why people are trying to squeeze every last MB/s from their SSD is beyond me. I would 100% go for reliability over speed for any SSD nowadays.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
My impression is that Apple did not cut the SSD speed. What they did was substitute one SSD chip for the two SSDs they had M1 product. If you pay the Apple tax for increased storage (this adds another SSD chip) then you get the speed. It is faster to write to two SSDs than to one.

...which is why, when building a system which has two SSD controller channels, you should put two smaller SSD chips rather than one large one, so that you use all of the available bandwidth. Same as, in the good old days of DIY RAM upgrades in iMacs, the advice was to install RAM modules in pairs. Only fitting one chip for some minor marginal cost saving is just unnecessary penny-pinching on an expensive, high-profit-margin computer (esp. in the case of the 13" MacBook Pro which wasn't even an 'entry level' system).

Slower SSD is slower, however you rationalise it.

Surely they must still be making an enormous number of 128 GB (and smaller) chips for smart phones.
...but not necessarily the exact same chips used for laptops (the iFixit teardown doesn't specify the chip type in the M2 Air). Or, if they are the same chips, the iPhone would probably have got priority if there was a supply squeeze. The smaller chips don't have to be unavailable - just creeping up in price as production starts to wind down so that 1 x 256GB becomes a bit cheaper than 2x128GB.

Anyway, using the same 256GB chips as the 512GB model meant Apple could order a lot more 256GB chips and probably negotiate a lower price. Electronic component prices do tend to go down with quantity unless there's a shortage.

We don't know the exact reason - but it was probably for a fairly small cost saving, and is really a symptom of Apple putting off the dreaded (for them) day when they have to make the base spec 512GB (like most other $1000+ premium ultra-portable laptops not made by Microsoft).

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
100% this ^

These speed differences are hardly noticeable in normal day-to-day usage. Why people are trying to squeeze every last MB/s from their SSD is beyond me. I would 100% go for reliability over speed for any SSD nowadays.
People want SPEED on their SSDs. To the point where Heatsinks and Fans now are becoming more of a requirement. You will have a very niche use case if you need more than 1.5 GB/s speeds.

Moncler

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2024
Yeah don’t worry guys, you will pay more for what you get.

That literally why us having a big inflation. They want everything being made in China stop and rerouting else where.

It started way back when huawei pass Apple in sales.

ps that nand chips are total ****

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Didn’t this whole “controversy” get negated with the M3 release?? How did this thread get dug back up?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.