Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I don't use AOD on my 14 Pro Max, as I've seen forums where people have experienced screen burn in.

Surely if the phone is displaying a clock or whatever, all night, will also lead to screen burn in?

I'm assuming it stays on constantly, otherwise it would be a bit of a broken feature?

I think it's a great feature of iOS 17, but I don't want to ruin my screen.

Can anyone advise/feed back?

Thanks.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
The display doesn’t stay on all night.

If you have a device with AOD, it stays off at night until it detects you’re looking at it or reaching for it. Other devices I believe you have to tap the screen for it to wake.
Thanks.

So you’re telling me that in a dark room, situated on a desk, whilst you’re lying in bed, it can detect you looking at it?

If that’s so, that is nothing short of genius. If not, I see it as being a pretty pointless feature.

MegaBlue

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2022
Tennessee, United States
Thanks.

So you’re telling me that in a dark room, situated on a desk, whilst you’re lying in bed, it can detect you looking at it?

If that’s so, that is nothing short of genius. If not, I see it as being a pretty pointless feature.
I mean, it does have a sensor on the front that can see you in the dark 😝

I’ve found that from where I lay in bed, if I wake up and it’s off, once I lean slightly forward or move my hand slightly towards it, it immediately wakes up. Sometimes it wakes right as my open my eyes.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I mean, it does have a sensor on the front that can see you in the dark 😝

I’ve found that from where I lay in bed, if I wake up and it’s off, once I lean slightly forward or move my hand slightly towards it, it immediately wakes up. Sometimes it wakes right as my open my eyes.
From your post, I thought it used the True Depth sensor?

I can unlock my iPhone with Face ID when it’s dark.

The only reason I’m asking is because I currently own the flat Belkin Boost Pro charging dock. I’m considering buying their other “coat rack” style charging dock, which would be great for this feature.

Thanks again.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

MegaBlue

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2022
Tennessee, United States
I don’t know, my phone is on a stand that’s basically head level.

If it’s laying flat I have no idea. I’ve never gotten it to toggle with the charger that’s flat on my work desk. It doesn’t detect that I’m rotating it and if I rotate it and then put it on, nothing happens.

If it’s laying flat then you’d have to get within vision range.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I don’t know, my phone is on a stand that’s basically head level.

If it’s laying flat I have no idea. I’ve never gotten it to toggle with the charger that’s flat on my work desk. It doesn’t detect that I’m rotating it and if I rotate it and then put it on, nothing happens.

If it’s laying flat then you’d have to get within vision range.
I know it wouldn’t work on my flat dock/station, that’s why I’m contemplating buying a different one.

iMelhado

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2018
United States
Thanks.

Correct. I was in bed with my iPhone on the dock behind me and it was on when I fell asleep. I woke up and saw that the red light wasn't reflecting on my wall (back was turned to iPhone), I turned over and poof within a second of me turning, it turned back on. It's useful.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Correct. I was in bed with my iPhone on the dock behind me and it was on when I fell asleep. I woke up and saw that the red light wasn't reflecting on my wall (back was turned to iPhone), I turned over and poof within a second of me turning, it turned back on. It's useful.
Thanks for that.

I think I'll have to buy a new charging dock, then.

Still plenty of time, as I'm waiting for the official release of iOS 17 before I upgrade.

Reactions: iMelhado
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.