Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danysl

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
There seems to be some scenarios where face id would have to be disabled.

Let's say for instance wearing a halloween costume, using strange sunglasses, having something on your face like bandages maybe or a scuba mask. I don't know what else but people use their phones everywhere nowadays.

Do you guys think it could be a deal breaker?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Let's say for instance wearing a halloween costume, using strange sunglasses, having something on your face like bandages maybe or a scuba mask. I don't know what else but people use their phones everywhere nowadays.

There is no deal breaker unless somebody wasn't interested in it And Face ID can resort to a passcode if somebody needed it. It Has to have a failsafe as it is.

Last edited:

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009

Just like Touch ID, if it fails yo enter your passcode. You have to enter your password every so often any way. Like after restarting or after a certain number of hours / days etc.

That said glasses or a bandage shouldn’t be a problem for the machine learning. If you are covering your face it may be an issue.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

You wouldn’t have to disable it, just use your passcode in that particular instance.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Oliveira46

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2017
Because they want Apple to fail. So they spend every waking moment dreaming up 0.1% scenarios that would “prove” they do.

It's like when touch-ID launched...

"uhh... they are going to send my fingerprint to FBI"

"uhhh.. my girlfriend can mutilate my finger and unlock my phone!!!"

in 2017 the cops are going to steal your phone and point it to your face... lol

Last edited:

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
The thread title intrigued me. I thought this was going to be about privacy or employer-mandated disabling of face ID. You know, for employees that work in secure/confidential environments.

Forgive my oversimplification, but face ID uses camera that turns itself on, yes? Does anyone outside of Apple know how much of the surroundings that camera takes in?

Or, looking at just the users’ personal privacy; take webcams built into laptops. In every office I visit, the webcams are taped over by their users. People don’t like being watched (or just the possibility of being watched).

This might be why Apple launched both the iPhone 8 and iPhone X together? Let the market decide, perhaps?

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
The thread title intrigued me. I thought this was going to be about privacy or employer-mandated disabling of face ID. You know, for employees that work in secure/confidential environments.

Forgive my oversimplification, but face ID uses camera that turns itself on, yes? Does anyone outside of Apple know how much of the surroundings that camera takes in?

Or, looking at just the users’ personal privacy; take webcams built into laptops. In every office I visit, the webcams are taped over by their users. People don’t like being watched (or just the possibility of being watched).

This might be why Apple launched both the iPhone 8 and iPhone X together? Let the market decide, perhaps?

It doesn’t use a camera, it uses an array of infrared dots, hence it works in even complete darkness. So it’s not like it’s taking a picture of you or your environment.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
It's like when Face-ID launched...

"uhh... they are going to send my fingerprint to FBI"

"uhhh.. my girlfriend can mutilate my finger and unlock my phone!!!"

in 2017 the cops are going to steal your phone and point it to your face... lol

Actually meant touch ID

Reactions: Oliveira46

wolfedude88

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2013
Indiana
While I truly believe Touch ID is more convenient and I think I’ll like it more than face Id it doesn’t mean I’m not going to like face id. I feel like people are just ready to bash it for no reason.

Did people disable Touch ID because they washed their hands or were going to be by a pool and their fingerprints wouldn’t work for a short time? Or it was raining or too cold out and they had clothes on?

Nope you can just enter the password during those moments just like when face id isn’t going to work for a certain situation.

Both have pros and cons. And I know some people like my wife who has never used Touch ID and probably won’t use face id because she doesn’t care to use a passcode.

Reactions: chabig

Hater

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
I wonder if it has retina scanning.

It's just the missus wakes up and she's all normal looking, but before she leaves the house she's all make-up'd. The difference between the two is vast.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
I'm just seeing Face ID as a beta right now, for the next twelve months. Authorities can grab your phone and put it to your face to unlock it, like someone else mentioned. I'm not convinced by Apple to like it. I am sticking with Touch ID.

Last edited:

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I wonder if Face ID will work for the mummy.

68fa2ce52c735ad7dc3e890975f2adef.jpg

Reactions: bevsb2 and 5105973

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I wonder if it has retina scanning.

It's just the missus wakes up and she's all normal looking, but before she leaves the house she's all make-up'd. The difference between the two is vast.

I don't believe it scans retinas, but no make-up is going to change the structure and measurements of a person's face.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011

If you are concerned about this use case, than FaceID is definitely not for you.

Reactions: Ntombi and akash.nu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.