Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diorama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2017
I'm just seeing Face ID as a beta right now, for the next twelve months. Authorities can grab your phone and put it to your face to unlock it, like someone else mentioned. I'm not convinced by Apple to like it. I am sticking with Touch ID.

You know how TouchID works, right?

Reactions: chabig

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
Frankly I'm more worried that someone will cut my head off to gain access, you know criminals are just waiting for it! That's why I'm ALSO going to use a pin.

Reactions: akash.nu

danniexi

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
There seems to be some scenarios where face id would have to be disabled.

Let's say for instance wearing a halloween costume, using strange sunglasses, having something on your face like bandages maybe or a scuba mask. I don't know what else but people use their phones everywhere nowadays.

Do you guys think it could be a deal breaker?
I wear gloves during the winter. TouchID doesnt work. What's your point?

Reactions: Ntombi and SR71

danysl

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
I wear gloves during the winter. TouchID doesnt work. What's your point?

No point, just wondering really. For you it was not a deal breaker to get an iPhone with TouchID.

Let's say you use a mask everyday for work, religion or something else. As if you were a nurse, a muslim woman, or lived in china (due to pollution). That is a big demographic right there.

And if you need to use your password instead of FaceID most of the time, then why go for the X? FaceID is the killer feature after all, right?

JoeyD74

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2014
It doesn’t happen all the time but what about when there is a full moon and I turn into a ware wolf? I guess I could leave my phone at home but seems very inconvenient.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
FaceID will adapt to any owners face regardless of any changes. (Beards, makeup, Glasses, weight loss..etc) Costumes on the other hand are a different story. The key point is that FaceID is not forced on any user by Apple.It is Apple's newest method of unlocking and they are excited, but they are in no way forcing any users to use FaceID. FaceID is there. It can be turned off and never be touched.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
I wonder if it has retina scanning.

It's just the missus wakes up and she's all normal looking, but before she leaves the house she's all make-up'd. The difference between the two is vast.

heh.. while everybody else was watching iPhone X fail or work properly at the keynote, i was watching c.Federighi wipe makeup off his face before continuing the demo with the backup phone..

idk.. maybe there will be a problem with cosmetics?
or maybe it will learn what she looks like with and without makeup?

IGotOne

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
What if a criminal mastermind escapes maximum security prison and uses a top secret governmental program to switch faces with me in order to gain access to my phone for his nefarious plans???

It would be sorta like that movie: The Mighty Ducks

What then? How would I perform the flying V if I can't use my phone??? HOW???

Reactions: Ntombi

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
yes you are...the cops can force you to put your finger on touch id.

Completely False. Law Enforcement cannot force you to unlock your phone unless it's due to exigent circumstances. Furthermore, any time law enforcement wants to access your phone or the contents inside of it, they need to apply for a search warrant first. They can seize your phone upon investigation, but they cannot access it until they're granted a search warrant.

Reactions: akash.nu

Bane-Thunder

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2014
And if you need to use your password instead of FaceID most of the time, then why go for the X? FaceID is the killer feature after all, right?

No it's not. Its a new security measure.

The edge to edge OLED screen is the new killer feature here. I don't think anyone is buying the iPhone X for Face ID. They're buying it for the new Design, bezel less with OLED screen whilst body is smaller than the Plus models.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
No need to disable it surely? Just enter your passcode like you would now in scenarios where touchid doesn’t work.

eoblaed

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2010
There seems to be some scenarios where face id would have to be disabled.

Let's say for instance wearing a halloween costume, using strange sunglasses, having something on your face like bandages maybe or a scuba mask. I don't know what else but people use their phones everywhere nowadays.

Do you guys think it could be a deal breaker?

Uh, no.

I think it would just not recognise you and you would have to enter the passcode, just the same as if you had disabled FaceID anyway. I don’t think it will be any hassle.

Exactly. You can come up with at least as many cases where TouchID wasn't workable because of gloves, wet/dirty/soiled hands, etc. I remember all these concerns/arguments when TouchID was announced.

Reactions: Diorama

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
yes you are...the cops can force you to put your finger on touch id. at least you can easily disable face id with button presses or closing your eyes
You don’t even have to close your eyes. If your eyes don’t look at the phone, it won’t unlock.

According to the keynote. We’ll find out in a few weeks.

IGotOne

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
But still, it's terrifying that a super villain with enough resources could easily steal my face. What then? And won't someone please think about the children!!!???

I mean, sure, there are a handful of really extreme situations where FaceID could be problematic, but I prefer to just focus on more realistic scenarios, like ones where a highly secretive organization of wealthy and shadowy figures are bent on obtaining access to my smart phone by illicit use of my face. It literally happens ALL the time. And yes, first world problems, totally agree, but if I have to have a high speed car chase down the wrong way of the 101 every time they see me in proximity to my phone, that's a big inconvenience (to me at least).

I blame Trump. And the media. Both really... Maybe Bush.
[doublepost=1507838286][/doublepost]
It doesn’t happen all the time but what about when there is a full moon and I turn into a ware wolf? I guess I could leave my phone at home but seems very inconvenient.

Most "ware" wolves (were?) will still be recognized by FaceID, even during a full moon. Let's not make light of their medical condition by assuming the most advanced feature in the iPhone of the future won't be able to overcome a little facial hair.

Again, no need to be silly

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Worrying about someone stealing your face data is kind of silly. Unless of course you do NOT have a government issued photo ID. And you protect your face when out and about in public. For the average person however, we show off our faces to anyone and everyone on a nearly daily basis. I sometimes even post photos of my face online for the whole world to enjoy. So speaking just for myself, I'm not concerned about someone stealing my face data. The whole thought is a little silly in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.