Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mathias Denichi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
I bought the iPad Pro on day one. While I love device, it doesn't necessarily meet all of my requirements to replace my Macbook; but it is coming close with the new file system and icloud.

Now that there is a new faster processor, they will introduce the iPad Pro 2 soon. However, iOS 10 barely takes advantage the processor now. Here are some of my ideas off what would cause me to want to upgrade to an iPad Pro 2.

Software Upgrades
  • Pencil text select support. Similar to surface pro 4. Copy/Paste is still a nightmare on iPad Pro.
  • Safari inspect element with split screen feature.
  • Xcode for the ipad pro.
App upgrades
  • Allow separate graphic/processor settings for full use of iPad pro Apps.
  • Allow apps to open any file From safari if file is compatible.
Accessory Upgrade
  • Thinner Keyboard case, the current magnets fall off, or are flappy frequently.
  • A spot for apple pencil to be stored on the ipad or the keyboard case.
  • Allow similar text select/pad on the keyboard case similar to the two finger gesture on the on screen keyboard.
Hardware Upgrade
  • 3D Touch
  • Thinner Bezels for holding and typing
  • Front facing camera horizontally and vertically, makes no sense in landscape mode right now.
  • Thinner form factor. Usually I dont care, but with a device this big, the thinner the better.
Most of these upgrades could be applied to the iPad Pro without having to buy the iPad Pro 2, but if the newer apps or games had a scalable setting just for the iPad pro, they could take full use of the new processor settings.

What would get you to upgrade?

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Apple has put the iPad on the back-burner for now; Ios10 support/features are super disappointing.

And until they do a heckuva lot more software-wise, talk about new features and what upgrades you'd like to see is pretty pointless.

But have at it.

Reactions: SeattleMoose

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I don't see what Apple could do to get me to upgrade to the iPad Pro 12.9 2, the current iPad satisfies my needs. But then I say this almost every time Apple comes out with a new upgrade, and they have frequently proven me wrong.

Reactions: wxnats

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I got it few months ago...loving it. No need to get it unless it's going to be a drastic change.

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
I have the 2 great iPad PRO'S 9.7's which both my wife and I love, I will be adding a 12.9 when the spec's equal or beat those of the 9.7, and do all my computing on that, and use the 9.7 for consumption device, and vica versa.
We EACH have had every iPad since the first one, and these iPAD PRO's, with their speed, sound,screen RULE

Last edited:

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
I always upgrade because I want to take full advantage of the latest and greatest technologies in iPad. Every upgrade is massive in terms of improvements and performance.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I really enjoy my 9.7 Pro but then again it's almost entirely an entertainment device for me aside from work email. Turning into a work machine isn't a big deal for me at this time.

I'm gonna try to hold out for an iPad that either has an OLED screen or a 4K display or both. I have no complaints about the screen now but that's what it would take for me to upgrade. 3D Touch would be cool too I guess.

Reactions: Peter K.

DaniJoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2015
California
day one owner here. i would like better palm rejection (it sucks on mine). better pencil on screen feel. hardware screen capture so i can plug it into a macbook like a real cintiq- and run desktop software when needed. astropad sucks im sorry. more speed of course, editing RAW photos is pretty sluggish. and the small brush sizes in painting apps is annoying, plus 4gb ram is a bit small for painting.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I bought the iPad Pro on day one. While I love device, it doesn't necessarily meet all of my requirements to replace my Macbook; but it is coming close with the new file system and icloud.

Now that there is a new faster processor, they will introduce the iPad Pro 2 soon. However, iOS 10 barely takes advantage the processor now. Here are some of my ideas off what would cause me to want to upgrade to an iPad Pro 2.

Software Upgrades
  • Pencil text select support. Similar to surface pro 4. Copy/Paste is still a nightmare on iPad Pro.
App upgrades
Accessory Upgrade
  • Thinner Keyboard case, the current magnets fall off, or are flappy frequently.
  • Allow similar text select/pad on the keyboard case similar to the two finger gesture on the on screen keyboard.
Hardware Upgrade
  • 3D Touch
  • Front facing camera horizontally and vertically, makes no sense in landscape mode right now.
  • Thinner form factor. Usually I dont care, but with a device this big, the thinner the better.
Most of these upgrades could be applied to the iPad Pro without having to buy the iPad Pro 2, but if the newer apps or games had a scalable setting just for the iPad pro, they could take full use of the new processor settings.

Interesting but confusing.

Software updates, app upgrades, and accessory upgrades don't require updated iPad Pro hardware.

The ASK is the thinnest keyboard cover available (from any manufacturer). Since the iPP does not have an integrated kickstand (like the Surface), any keyboard cover must serve as both stand and keyboard, which IMO the ASK does extremely well. I don't find it to be bulky at all and the strength of the magnets are more than sufficient. But maybe my expectations are different than yours.

The 12.9 iPad Pro is incredibly thin. What I have found though is that many people put their iPP in a case... THAT certainly adds bulk and weight to the configuration. I use my iPP with the ASK and only a clear thin film on the back to protect against scratches.

The only thing that would cause me to consider upgrading my iPad Pro would be substantive additions to it that expand connectivity... support for attachable storage, peripherals, etc.

Reactions: tgara

Leo90

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Switzerland
Apps especifically designed for the new iPad Pro 2 i.e. taking full advantage of new processor will not exist anytime soon. People should realise the 12.9 inch is a niche product and you wont have exclusive apps while the user base is so small. Even Apple seem to have abandoned the device a bit for not taking full advantage of 12.9 screen space. Great product, but a niche one.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
day one owner here. i would like better palm rejection (it sucks on mine).
I have never heard this about the pencil. Wondering if this is a software thing or a problem unit. Liked your suggestions

DaniJoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2015
California
I have never heard this about the pencil. Wondering if this is a software thing or a problem unit. Liked your suggestions
Hmmm, in Apple notes I get random marks all the time. And in procreate i get random gestures being fired and the canvas moves all over by itself. It has gotten better with setting tweaks and updates, but for me it's still far inferior to my cintiq palm rejection.

Here is a video of my palm being confused as gestures

This is my second iPad Pro and pencil. I returned the first ones hoping it was bad hardware. Still a good stylus for a first attempt! Great little mobile sketch book

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Hmmm, in Apple notes I get random marks all the time. And in procreate i get random gestures being fired and the canvas moves all over by itself. It has gotten better with setting tweaks and updates, but for me it's still far inferior to my cintiq palm rejection.

Here is a video of my palm being confused as gestures

This is my second iPad Pro and pencil. I returned the first ones hoping it was bad hardware. Still a good stylus for a first attempt! Great little mobile sketch book
Thanks for update. The thing about palm rejection is that its either 100%, or its a problem. Once you get palm events--you are constantly on guard for palm events. It kills workflow. I have started wearing a white cotton glove with a 2 fingers cut out. Its a 100% solution that won't appeal to many. I noticed a lot of the aisan speed draw artists on you tube wear one. Also--per your cintique comment-- no palm issues with my Surface 2 with wacom pen.

I tried the ipad 12.9" at an apple store and really liked it. The form factor is great and ios "felt" fun. But end of day I get more from MS tablets. Would love it as a nightstand sketchpad!

Last edited:

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
they really need to make the software for it better because it doesn't take advantage of the size of the screen etc. Hardware wise it is fine. I would like a matte black one though.

Reactions: New Fang and sracer

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
It's the software that needs work, hardware is more than enough. iOS 10 was a big let down for iPad Pro. I was hoping they add more "PRO" specific features. I hope iOS 10.1 will change that. Other than that, I'm extremely happy with my iPad Pro. It's awesome.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
A10X Fusion
DCI P3 Cinema Display
True Tone
Always on Siri
Better Cameras
iOS 10 pre-installed (just works best when Apple instals it, lol.)

My main wants are the Cinema Display and Quad Core A10X Fusion processor. The A9X was/is beyond most laptop fast but now the A10 is MacBook Pro fast. Around 85-90% of my BB colleages really dislike Apple and think they suck with their products. The iPhone 7 is making a few realize Apple has the goods, but I think Apple needs to upgrade the processors of all their devices at the same time (this fall) to blast away the competition. Enough with the waiting game Tim Cook, upgrade all the iPads (Mini-Pro) with equal processors, as well as the Macs... then do the same thing next year.

Kal.

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
I agree with the assessments that it's the software - not the hardware - that seems to be lacking. If this is to be a "Pro", device, then it needs "Pro" features. I would want the A10X processor, 3D Touch, True Tone, and a better display on it.

Software-wise, I don't see how the Pro and the Air 2 are much different. Improvements could include, as mentioned, software made specifically for the Pro: full-fledged Office Suite would be a good start. Making better use of screen real-estate would have been nice, too (shame I couldn't JB mine). Being able to multitask 2 instances of the same application could help e.g. for note-taking.

If the A10 is supposedly as fast as Macbooks, then an A10X could do wonders with software capabilities.

AmelieCofas

Suspended
Sep 17, 2016

Software Upgrades
App upgrades
Accessory Upgrade
Hardware Upgrade
  • 3D Touch

pencil software upgrades in March like the new ipad pro probably, thinner keyboard will not be updated,i don't have any problem with magnets falling,maybe you should exchange it.No 3d touch in ipad i guess,no thinner bezels,but i guess will be lighter

Last edited:

Razor Time

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2016
I'm very happy with my 12.9 pro and won't be looking to upgrade for some time to come.

whg

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Switzerland
Apple has put the iPad on the back-burner for now; Ios10 support/features are super disappointing.

And until they do a heckuva lot more software-wise, talk about new features and what upgrades you'd like to see is pretty pointless.

But have at it.
This summarizes my impression exactly. I bought the iPad Pro in December last year; and while it works as advertised, I expected much more from iOS10, such as X-Code and mouse support, to make it live up to the hype of being a real computer replacement. Sorry, not for me! At this time I think I would have been better served with the SP4Pro.

The same story can be told from my side for the Macbooks I own: I'm slowly, but steadily switching back to Windows. If Microsoft manages to put a 4-core CPU into an upcoming SB 2, I will ditch my investment in the Apple system for good.

Mathias Denichi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
This summarizes my impression exactly. I bought the iPad Pro in December last year; and while it works as advertised, I expected much more from iOS10, such as X-Code and mouse support, to make it live up to the hype of being a real computer replacement. Sorry, not for me! At this time I think I would have been better served with the SP4Pro.

The same story can be told from my side for the Macbooks I own: I'm slowly, but steadily switching back to Windows. If Microsoft manages to put a 4-core CPU into an upcoming SB 2, I will ditch my investment in the Apple system for good.

The only thing that kept me from keeping my SP4 is the abysmal battery life in comparison to the ipad pro. Id say the touch registration is a bit better on the iPad Pro as well.

Other wise, I really liked the SP4 before returning it.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011

Aside from the pencil support, the Pro is still basically a blown-up version of the iPhone with a few tricks added like split-windowing, etc.

Even now, Apple still hasn't even tweaked the number of icons/rows you can set on the display.

How %$!#@ sad is that?

Hardware is very good, it's the software features that are so disappointing. That and revamping/rethinking the App Store and its underpinnings so that it is more attractable and profitable for developers to write better and more powerful software .

I could go on, but will leave off for now.

And Apple needs to add mouse support to the mix.

Touch will always be the primary input, but adding the mouse opens up a world of features and things you can do.

Until chrome OS gets off the ground, competition for the iPad will continue to be primarily Windows. Android will continue to pull in the budget and 2nd tier crowd.

Apple still has sizable lead, but the competition will only get better. Apple needs to step up next year.

Last edited:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I'm quite happy with my iPad Pro 12.9" with 128GB of storage and LTE.

It would take more than a slightly better LCD screen, an A10X processor and a solid-state home button to get me to upgrade, especially since the cost of the big iPP is close to that of a MacBook -- $600 like the iPads of yesteryear is one thing to spend on an annual upgrade; annual $999+ for the 12.9" models is something entirely different.

I suspect most potential improvements could easily come via software. The current hardware is certainly quite capable still. Apple's second fastest mobile processor (as compared to the A10) and 4GB of RAM should be able to support almost anything the developers could come up with that isn't dependent on new hardware.

So unless the next iPP has some seriously killer hardware, I don't think I'll upgrade. Perhaps to the iPP3 I will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.