Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2016
So, my MacBook Pro was installing a Windows 10 Update (Bootcamp) and unfortunately the battery went out and the computer had to stop. Whenever I try to start it up on Windows, it's just a black background with the blinking white underscore (Like this in the beginning:
). They keyboard doesn't work at all. Pressing the CAPS LOCK key doesn't open the green LED light on the key.

The next thing I tried, was using an external keyboard. Didn't work. Windows did not identify the keyboard and it didn't do a thing.

I thought about booting into Safe Mode, how ever I haven't been able to do so. Tutorials show that I should Shift + click on 'Restart' in Windows, however I am not able to boot into Normal Mode in the first place. Another thing suggested is to take a Windows Recovery CD and try from there, but I don't have a Windows Recovery CD...

I am able to access the BOOTCAMP partition drive from Mac OS and see files. Nothing is deleted from what I can see. All my files are still there.

Any ideas?

craig1024

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2016
If I can remember right spamming f8 on windows boot should bring up start up options but I'm not sure if that changed in windows 10.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Which recovery partition? Can you be more specific?

Before making important changes that might lead to serious problems, like a driver or windows update, Windows creates a System Restore Point. This allows you to "undo" the changes in the event they cause problems (or failed to complete in your case) by restoring to the last System Restore Point.

There are a couple of ways to roll that back in Windows, but since you cannot boot up Windows, you have to boot to something else to perform the restore. So boot to the Windows recovery partition on the hard drive, your system restore disk, or the installation media and roll back to the last System Restore Point from there.

Coto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2016
Before making important changes that might lead to serious problems, like a driver or windows update, Windows creates a System Restore Point. This allows you to "undo" the changes in the event they cause problems (or failed to complete in your case) by restoring to the last System Restore Point.

There are a couple of ways to roll that back in Windows, but since you cannot boot up Windows, you have to boot to something else to perform the restore. So boot to the Windows recovery partition on the hard drive, your system restore disk, or the installation media and roll back to the last System Restore Point from there.

How do I boot to the "Windows recovery partition on the hard drive"? The only partitions I have on my Macbook are "Macintosh HD" and "BOOTCAMP" (and the Mac OS recovery one). Do I have to re-download windows and boot from the burnt usb?

craig1024

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2016
How do I boot to the "Windows recovery partition on the hard drive"? The only partitions I have on my Macbook are "Macintosh HD" and "BOOTCAMP" (and the Mac OS recovery one). Do I have to re-download windows and boot from the burnt usb?
I think that only pcs that shipped with windows 10 have the recovery partition so you will have to make a USB which has the windows recovery feature on it.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010

Hold down F8 while Windows is booting up, but that won't work if your Win10 is using fast boot. In that case you'll need to use one of the other two methods I mentioned, so hopefully you made a recovery disk or you have your installation media.

If you can't do F8 and you didn't make a recovery disk and you don't have your installation media, there are other options but it's going to get a lot more complicated.

Last edited:

Coto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2016
You can download windows from Microsoft https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download and then in OS X use unetbootin https://unetbootin.github.io/ to create a windows install USB and then reboot and holding option select the USB and then you can use the recovery on the USB.

I tried this, however it didn't seem to work. (See attached images)

IMG_0521.JPG IMG_0522.JPG IMG_0523.JPG IMG_0524.JPG IMG_0525.JPG

craig1024

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2016
It could be because it's a mac although I don't know why that would make a difference you might have to reinstall.

Coto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2016
Did you select which OS to restore? Here's the URL to the recovery options:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

Select "Use installation media to restore your PC"

Hmm... For some reason the "Choose an option" is missing when I reboot from the USB Drive... I don't remember how I managed to even get to my screenshot.. ^ o_O Maybe I changed some files/folders on accident.. But it takes me to the screen that it asks me to select a language -> ask for my Windows product key [+ "I don't have a product key"] -> Select your OS (Windows 10 Pro OR Windows 10 Home) -> Take you to the partitioning etc...

How could I get the previous menu to show up instead?

[The screen menu is something like this:]

Choosing-the-keyboard-layout-in-Windows-Setup.png

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
After clicking Next on that screen, you should get an option to repair your machine.

Coto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2016
After clicking Next on that screen, you should get an option to repair your machine.

Okay got that!

Can you explain to me how to "specify which Windows installation to use"?

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
It's been awhile since I had to done anything similar to this, but you should see a window that allows you to select the install. It may not say "C:" or similar, but will list the installations it finds.

I wonder if it's not finding it as it doesn't have the bootcamp drivers. What if you run through the bootcamp wizard to create the installation media?

Coto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2016
It's been awhile since I had to done anything similar to this, but you should see a window that allows you to select the install. It may not say "C:" or similar, but will list the installations it finds.

I wonder if it's not finding it as it doesn't have the bootcamp drivers. What if you run through the bootcamp wizard to create the installation media?

Are you talking about this? What should I do with it?
orxX3j2.jpg

(It did recognize/show "Windows 10 Home" and "Windows 10 Pro" when I clicked "I don't have a Windows license key":
wlF00RF.jpg
)

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
That's the installer, not the repair. If it's not giving you the option for repair, you'll need to reinstall.

Coto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2016
That's the installer, not the repair. If it's not giving you the option for repair, you'll need to reinstall.

But I am able to get to the 'Choose an Option' -> 'Advanced Options' page.

By the way, is there a way we can chat more efficiently, like skype? If not, we can keep discussing here.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Sorry, I don't do Skype and such.

There should be an option to repair your PC. Check the displayed dialog boxes carefully. If all you get is to install/upgrade, then it's not finding your installation.

Coto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2016
Sorry, I don't do Skype and such.

There should be an option to repair your PC. Check the displayed dialog boxes carefully. If all you get is to install/upgrade, then it's not finding your installation.

Are you talking about
CBksz2i.jpg

or

tzL51dK.jpg

?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.