Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jave808

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2023
Newcastle NSW Australia
Hi

Recently I decided to have a go at installing Windows 10 on my old MacBook Pro Late 2011 laptop. It actually had Win10 installed when I bought it.

I had a go at installing Mac OS versions and managed to get up to Sierra. I tried to update to High Sierra but never managed to do so. I wish there was an easier method of installing Mac OS versions without going through installation of this, then that but Apple seem to want to make it hard.

Anyhow, I have Windows 10 running now. But I'm having trouble finding some drivers for the Apple hardware.

I found drivers for the Bluetooth hardware, but am still looking for drivers for the camera and for sound.

I came across something called "Bootcamp". I'm not exactly sure what it is but I think it's for people that run Windows on their Macs and need drivers. Is this correct?

Also, how do I get a "right-click" recognized on the trackpad? I can only do a left-click. When I go into the Windows Settings I can change the click to be either "left" or "right". And if I change to "right" the trackpad then does a right-click when tapped - and ONLY that. I eventually got the setting back to "left".

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
Bootcamp is Apple's dual boot software solution for Windows and it includes all of the relevant drivers for your laptop. It's part of the standard macOS install package on Intel-based Macs. If you have a macOS partition up and running on the laptop (preferably going through the necessary hoops to install High Sierra so you have the most recent version of the drivers) you'll need to use the Bootcamp app within the Applications -> Utilities folder to set up your Windows partition. This may involve erasing the current Windows 10 install and re-installing via BootCamp. If you don't have macOS currently installed you will need to install it first.

Having those drivers installed via Bootcamp will solve the majority of your issues including recognizing right clicks. You should have the option to remove the macOS partition when you're done.

josehill

macrumors member
May 10, 2012
The 2012 MacBook Pros were the first MBPs with support for Windows 10 through Boot Camp.

However, IIRC, people have been able to install Win7/Win8 through Boot Camp on older machines and then upgrade to Windows 10, using Boot Camp's Windows 7/8 drivers in "legacy mode."

I haven't looked at this particular issue in a long time, so I suggest doing some additional research.

carylee2002

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
If you can install windows 10 straight up without the use of previous windows version, then I recommend that route to reduce clutter in the install of previous versions. Another way is to use bootcamp and use the install from microsofts latest windows 10 online installer, then after all the drivers installed, add your Windows ID to claim you own the program. This in turn will already install most if not all the latest upgrades. Also make sure you have a separate partition just for windows and plenty of disc space before even starting the process.

carylee2002

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
For sound, I got a external bluetooth speakers. or you can get a external headphones. check to see you sound setup drivers is installed via device manager.

jave808

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2023
Newcastle NSW Australia
Well, I managed to get most of my Mac working with Win10, but have given up on sound.

I installed drivers for sound, but still no go. I then found a link stating that if you changed the partition table of the disk from GPT to MBR, the sound would work. So I used EaseUS Partition Master Pro to initiate that change. In doing so it borked my system!!! So I've given up and will revert back to Mac OS. (See other thread)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.