Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdriannaHammond

Suspended
Jul 24, 2023
Yeah, it's a bummer that Windows 7 keys won't activate Windows 10/11 anymore. Times are changing. I thought that Windows 7 had reached its end of life. Right?

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Only the beta releases are affected... As of now, Windows 11 22H2 and older and Windows 10 22H2 can still be activated using Windows 7/8/8.1 keys...

You just have to install an older version then activate using older Windows product key then install the newer version through Windows Update...

• Wow
Reactions: LULUHIFI

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
Looks like the good times are coming to an end.

Microsoft says you can’t activate Windows 10/11 with old Windows 7/8 keys anymore

I've been using my windows 7 key, so no more.
If it was (easily) possible to install Windows 7 on a UEFI system, I’d say no big deal because I would prefer to still be using 7 over 10 or 11 anyway 😬

And before anyone says it - I know, security risks, the system isn’t supported anymore etc.
I just really really preferred Windows 7 over 10 and 11. It seemed a lot more consistent, more attractive and pleasant to use imo.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
If it was (easily) possible to install Windows 7 on a UEFI system, I’d say no big deal because I would prefer to still be using 7 over 10 or 11 anyway 😬

And before anyone says it - I know, security risks, the system isn’t supported anymore etc.
I just really really preferred Windows 7 over 10 and 11. It seemed a lot more consistent, more attractive and pleasant to use imo.
Reading this on Windows 7

I have not used the ESU Bypass so it has Windows Updates up to January 2020 and I did not install Microsoft Edge [through Windows Update or manual install, I still have the version 109 installer] although I am thinking of installing the ESU Bypass to have it receive updates up to January 2023

genexx

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2022
Well i have all my Win7 Pro and Ultimate Keys travelled to 10 and 11 on my PC´s and they are allready in my MS Account so....

To still use Win7 these days is @ least ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.