Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Answer D - it does what I want and quickly because I don't need or know any better to raise the bar. End of story.

A smart answer is a stable software that does what I want in a way I can feel comfortable to work quickly and accurately as well as let me grow into features I elected not to use early on. This makes Photos to be a POS for anyone who truly wants to deal with a large amount of photos and work on their images.

As someone who came from stores of film negatives that were cross referenced with hand written indexes then to computers where a spreadsheet was kept, later to BLOB w/cross referencing indexes (scanned images with no other data than a coded name of file) on up to what we see today...yeah, I would say I do know what I am talking about.

Most users starting out want easy and I appreciate that but I don't appreciate a software that is easy that in the end, either misses some medium level feature (or more) OR in order to make "easy" it blocks you from doing more dynamic things with the files or images ...welcome to Photos, Apple's predictable version of "easy."

The Bad Guy

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Australia
No problem, Shanatu Narayen. I am sure Adobe clients are most interested in your plans to rent them their own content
as well as software.

See? Anyone can make that kind of cheap shot.

I'm much better looking than Tim Cook :p I only wish I was in that tax bracket so I could afford more camera gear.

Look, software is a tool. Do you go to your mechanic and say "you can only work on my car with Snap-on. Craftsman tools are a joke." No? Why not?

Results matter. Use the tools that work for you. If LR has some feature you can't live without, use it.
Nice try, but I haven't mentioned Adobe software once in this thread.

But, for the record, I only use Lightroom as a DAM, something else that Photos™ is terrible at.

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
Answer D - it does what I want and quickly because I don't need or know any better to raise the bar. End of story.

A smart answer is a stable software that does what I want in a way I can feel comfortable to work quickly and accurately as well as let me grow into features I elected not to use early on. This makes Photos to be a POS for anyone who truly wants to deal with a large amount of photos and work on their images.

As someone who came from stores of film negatives that were cross referenced with hand written indexes then to computers where a spreadsheet was kept, later to BLOB w/cross referencing indexes (scanned images with no other data than a coded name of file) on up to what we see today...yeah, I would say I do know what I am talking about.

Most users starting out want easy and I appreciate that but I don't appreciate a software that is easy that in the end, either misses some medium level feature (or more) OR in order to make "easy" it blocks you from doing more dynamic things with the files or images ...welcome to Photos, Apple's predictable version of "easy."

Ok, what MEDIUM level feature are you specifically talking about then?

Just to be clear, I do not think Batch processing counts. It isn't terribly advanced as a concept, but it isn't something most people need often enough be a deal breaker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.