Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Typical apple closed ecosystem = proprietary jail system.

Beautiful words that means nothing. I'm living happily in this "closed" ecosystem, thank you very much.

I'm just surprised my existing charger will be able to charge my new S3. :D

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I think the question of Starbucks pads being able to charge an Apple watch, or more specifically a series 3, is still unknown. It's compatibility with the unreleased AirPower pad is separate from being Qi compatible. As for as the new iPhones, Starbucks is doing an update to their pads to add compatibility according to this link...

Starbucks Update

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
With the watch being able to charge with wireless Qi pads
Source for this? I don't see Qi compatibility mentioned anywhere on Apple's site for the AW3.

I think the question of Starbucks pads being able to charge an Apple watch, or more specifically a series 3, is still unknown. It's compatibility with the unreleased AirPower pad is separate from being Qi compatible. As for as the new iPhones, Starbucks is doing an update to their pads to add compatibility according to this link...

Starbucks Update

Note that the starbucks update is because they weren't actually using the Qi standard but were using PMA instead. Looks like they'll roll out updates to support both.

The AirPower pad seems to be using a capability already extant in the Qi standard, but whether other devices can work with it remains to be seen. More info: http://appleinsider.com/articles/17...-but-may-not-be-compatible-with-other-devices

Tdadlani

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Manhattan
Source for this? I don't see Qi compatibility mentioned anywhere on Apple's site for the AW3.

I’m assuming as the Apple event showed the watch being charged with a Qi compatiable airpad mat.

Note that the starbucks update is because they weren't actually using the Qi standard but were using PMA instead. Looks like they'll roll out updates to support both.

The AirPower pad seems to be using a capability already extant in the Qi standard, but whether other devices can work with it remains to be seen. More info: http://appleinsider.com/articles/17...-but-may-not-be-compatible-with-other-devices

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I’m assuming as the Apple event showed the watch being charged with a Qi compatiable airpad mat.

Okay. Understandable thought, though I'd guess the more likely scenario would be that the Airpad mat will support both Qi as well as whatever is used by the watches.

It'd be really convenient if the AW3 did support Qi, as I have multiple pads already that I use with my iphone7 in a Qi case. I'm not going to expect it though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.