Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I might be alone in this but, I really would like to see Apple Mail come to the Apple TV. It would be nice to be able to get notifications from VIP email, andread and reply to email on the Apple TV, instead of having to reach for another device when I am already using the Apple TV.

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
I might be alone in this but, I really would like to see Apple Mail come to the Apple TV. It would be nice to be able to get notifications from VIP email, andread and reply to email on the Apple TV, instead of having to reach for another device when I am already using the Apple TV.

I can see where you are coming from, but I definitely think it's treated (rightfully so) as a media consumption device. Emails are not entertainment :p

They could mirror notifications from iPhone though... but then again how often is your iPhone far from you?

Reactions: JBaby and -Gonzo-

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
I can see where you are coming from, but I definitely think it's treated (rightfully so) as a media consumption device. Emails are not entertainment :p

They could mirror notifications from iPhone though... but then again how often is your iPhone far from you?
Valid point and that may be the same line of thinking Apple has on my notion. At the same time, we already get HomeKit notifications on AppleTV and with Siri and keyboard integration already built in to Apple TV, I think there could be a market of use for people like me. If Apple scaled Mail correctly, I think it would make reading mail on Apple TV a pleasure. Alas, I doubt my mail desire will come to fruition any time soon.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
I don't know if you're alone, but I sure don't want e-mail on my TV. I mean, there are already alerts on my phone, iPad and Mac. That's more than enough for me.
Point taken. A lot of times, I don' have my phone or iPad with me. And a lot of times, my watch doesn't seem to alert me to Apple Mail like it should. I think it would be nice to have the option to toggle on mail notifications on the Apple TV or at the very least, be afforded the red badge noting one has mail.

Reactions: Boyd01

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
To be fair... that's one of the advantages to being retired. It might take a long time for me to read your e-mail, even longer to respond - if at all! 🤣 Before retiring in 2011, people in the office used to joke about how I'd answer their messages within a few minutes of sending. My family was convinced I was a workaholic and would never retire. When I turned 62, they were in for a big surprise!

So, I can understand why you might want this, but agree that it's probably not gonna happen. If it does, I just hope it's disabled by default.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
To be fair... that's one of the advantages to being retired. It might take a long time for me to read your e-mail, even longer to respond - if at all! Before retiring in 2011, people in the office used to joke about how I'd answer their messages within a few minutes of sending. My family was convinced I was a workaholic and would never retire. When I turned 62, they were in for a big surprise!

So, I can understand why you might want this, but agree that it's probably not gonna happen. If it does, I just hope it's disabled by default.

On email, well some may be personal/ private and a tv is definitely not single person viewing usually.

I’m in your shoes - retirement wise, turning 62 this fall. Yep, the 1-minute manager routine get what ya can immediately off your plate. Delegate it, solve it, whatever .
So your … 62+11 is 73 ish now?
Nice.

Reactions: JBaby and Boyd01

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Actually 74! :eek:
are you having brain lock trying to figure\ing out new tings example PHOTOs FileProvider Sonoma?

I think I understand that but dont want to, simply over fatigue of learning computer terms since 1986.

'just wondering if that is just me.

Oh no email notification for me on the :apple: TV
there is too much of that via iPad, MBA, macMini :apple: Watch and iPhone.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Still on Monterey and don't use Photos. But no problem learning new things, started a deep dive into javascript when I was 69. Now I spend my time building a complex gps/mapping web app and creating 2tb of content for it. When I hear people talk about being bored in retirement, I just don't get it. :)

Now we're getting way off topic for this thread - sorry!

Last edited:

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
I’m not retirement age. I’m self-employed and I do not want email on my tv. The hardest of hard passes!

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Point taken. A lot of times, I don' have my phone or iPad with me. And a lot of times, my watch doesn't seem to alert me to Apple Mail like it should. I think it would be nice to have the option to toggle on mail notifications on the Apple TV or at the very least, be afforded the red badge noting one has mail.

I can see why this might be useful for some people, but I think the great majority wouldn't find it useful:
1) distracting while watching a show
2) privacy implications for multiple users (either my friend/spouse/child sees email sent to me, or I see theirs if user not switched)
3) already get notifications multiple other places.

So I think it's a narrow sliver of people to whom none of those issues apply - basically probably someone living alone who doesn't bother taking their iphone with them everywhere (yet wants prompt notifications) and is more focused on email/messages that tv shows.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
I can see why this might be useful for some people, but I think the great majority wouldn't find it useful:
1) distracting while watching a show
2) privacy implications for multiple users (either my friend/spouse/child sees email sent to me, or I see theirs if user not switched)
3) already get notifications multiple other places.

So I think it's a narrow sliver of people to whom none of those issues apply - basically probably someone living alone who doesn't bother taking their iphone with them everywhere (yet wants prompt notifications) and is more focused on email/messages that tv shows.
Excellent points of contention. I have always been in the small minority so, this thread doesn't show me anything I didn't already expect. lol If nothing else, this thread has gotten people to think about what they might would like to see added one day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.