Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newdev9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2023
I’ve had my 14 pro for a little over a year now. It hasn’t been a great phone overall but I’ve run into recent issues. I’m down to 86% battery health. I woke up this morning after having charged my phone overnight. Unplugged it and felt even through the case it was red hot to the point I couldn’t hold it. All I’ve done is read news (no games and I don’t have social media). It’s drained 36% in two hours. i tried restoring from my Mac to the latest 17.4.1.

Reactions: decypher44

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Happens on bad days

just use it normally and when it drains charge normally overnight

If the above experience repeats itself immediately after or very regularly, there’s an issue, else not

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

newdev9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2023
Prior to restoring, I would have check the battery usage and see if there was an app that could have been running constantly...

Prior to restoring, I would have check the battery usage and see if there was an app that could have been running constantly...
I feel I’ve always had some weird issue with my phone. Heat, battery drain, battery health drain. I had Apple support run an OTA diagnostic and they said everything checks out fine

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I feel I’ve always had some weird issue with my phone. Heat, battery drain, battery health drain. I had Apple support run an OTA diagnostic and they said everything checks out fine
OTA diagnostic tells you no hardware issues. There's certainly a software cause.

But it's academic at this point, if you've already restored iOS.

Reactions: decypher44

newdev9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2023
Would not have made a difference. I check that from time to time and there’s never insane usage. I mainly text on my phone, I check Reddit, I will play games but that’s always at night after work when I’m close to a charger.

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
I’ve had my 14 pro for a little over a year now. It hasn’t been a great phone overall but I’ve run into recent issues. I’m down to 86% battery health. I woke up this morning after having charged my phone overnight. Unplugged it and felt even through the case it was red hot to the point I couldn’t hold it. All I’ve done is read news (no games and I don’t have social media). It’s drained 36% in two hours. i tried restoring from my Mac to the latest 17.4.1.
I've had that once with my phone (iPhone 6, long time ago). For some reason (probably pressed it without noticing) my flashlight had turned on. I did not notice it, because the phone cover was open and covered the back. Very hot to the touch and huge battery drain. Could it be something simple like that in your case too?

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
How about setting up the phone as new without rolling back the iCloud backup? Just reinstall all the apps (could be an opportunity to get rid of the ones that you don't use any more) and let iCloud restore your photos et al. This would help you eliminate any software glitches or problems that you might inherit every time you restore the backup.

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
I’m having the same issue with my 14 Pro. It started about 3 weeks ago. Not doing anything new or different. My phone just heats up all the time, and so much so that charging will pause until temp goes down. Very frustrating.

Bichon

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
When you go into Settings -> Battery and scroll down to "Battery usage by app", which one (or ones) are consuming most of your juice?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.