Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I agree with Blue Velvet. A lot of this thread sounds pretty catty - not a whole lot of "constructive" in the criticism.

She has plenty of examples posted of her photos - so it's not like anyone will (or should) be surprised by what they get if they ask her to take the pictures.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
ok, this either a joke or she is in line with the people who aplly at "american idol" and think they can sing. i mean did she ever look at other peoples pictures? she should see that hers suck.

and when she says we does that imply there is more than one delusional person?

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
It's strange because when I look at others work I can compare it to my own and often say "Wow, great job on this shot here." And I would probably take the other persons shots over one of my own while seconds later they praise one of mine probably thinking they'd take it over the one of theirs.

It seems like photographers are usually harder on themselves.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
I agree with Blue Velvet. A lot of this thread sounds pretty catty - not a whole lot of "constructive" in the criticism.

She has plenty of examples posted of her photos - so it's not like anyone will (or should) be surprised by what they get if they ask her to take the pictures.

I think this entire thread should stop. All that's being done is taking someone's photos and someone's website and tearing it apart. No, she's not good very good, that much is clear, but seriously people... have some respect for the woman.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
I think this entire thread should stop. All that's being done is taking someone's photos and someone's website and tearing it apart. No, she's not good very good, that much is clear, but seriously people... have some respect for the woman.

i'm not for tearing someones website apart. but this is not just a website. she poses as a professional and wants to be paid. it's like opening up a restaurant without being able to cook. in that case you deserve the criticism. but whatever, with this website there is no danger that a reasonable customer hires her.....

funny find though. how did you find that website?

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
I am glad my first attempts at being a pro aren't around for world wide critique. We all have to start somewhere.

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005

Same here. She didn't come to MR asking for a professional critique. Why people feel the need to offer unasked for criticism is beyond me.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
We desperately need 'bad' photographers like her to enable us to feel superior.

If she didn't exist, we'd have to invent her.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Same here. She didn't come to MR asking for a professional critique. Why people feel the need to offer unasked for criticism is beyond me.

Maybe not, but if you hang out your shingle to the public then you shouldn't be surprised when the public comments on that shingle.

People have been commenting on the world around for quite some time, the Internet doesn't change that. Socially, "you shouldn't criticize people" is as bad as "you always criticize people."

Personally, I didn't follow the link, so I don't know what it looks like.

needlnerdz

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2006
switzerland
Hot damn some of you are critical arseholes...
nowhere on the website did/does she claim to be a professional...

photography is my hobby, and if I can
make a little extra money to support
my other hobbies, that would be
great.

So back out.
Everyone begins at a certain level, and only through experience will the quality improve. Judging from the same select group of people in all of her photos, she has only just begun. Maybe it's too early to be posting a website and advertising the services, but it has to start somewhere.

I guess I'm lucky you folks didn't get ahold of my very first websites in which I had actually claimed to be a professional graphic/web designer, at the tender age of 13... the website and my ego would have been torn to shreds.

----
wow.. failsafe1 managed to say what I did.. in one sentence... well done

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
It like hiring someone not drunk at a party to go around and take random shoots of people, I'm not saying I'm better, but I don't say I'm a Pro.

jayb2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2003
RI -> CA -> ME
Ok, maybe she is not a pro, but then why is her website
http://www.stephaniefletcherphotography.com
Not
http://www.stephaniefletchertheatre.com
or
http://www.stephaniefletcherenglishteacher.com
or even just
http://www.stephaniefletcher.com
If she is going to promote herself as a photographer, even it it is not a "pro", then she is inviting criticism.
I don't call my self a painter, even though I have painted houses in the past.
If I had a website http://www.meisapainter.com and then people pointed out how bad my painting is, so be it.

not sure if it is the same poster richny = bluewiere, but this thread is even worse
http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31670

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I think I've taken a couple decent pictures in my life.

And I mean a couple.

I'm glad I'm ahead of someone.

kitki83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2004
Los Angeles
I do not see any where in the site that is says pro-photographer. Show me if I am wrong, but shes entitled to do this. You may not agree with it but she has all the right to do whatever she wants.

People here are rude, does not matter how you said it. Its her life she does what makes her happy and thats final.

I remember in another post someone posting about women who was overweight was downing coffee at large quantities and eating sweets. Then people started posting mean stuff, I mean what happen to freedom to do what you want as long it doesn't effect you. Someone brought up a good point, what if that lady has short life and is living it. Not being mean but lately I am seeing post that make fun or ridicule certain individuals, groups or professionals.

JNB

macrumors 604
I think that the point of much of this is that the website address, including "...photography" (indicating a professional's online CV, as it were), the implication is that this is more an avocation than mere hobby. As such, it is horribly inept, and actually embarrassing to look at. It really is that bad, more I think because of the apparent obliviousness of the photographer to it all. If this were simply a family site, and not put forth from the top page to be indicative of a realistic work effort, nobody would take notice.

A harsh critique, to be sure, but not undeserved, because of the point of my first sentence.

Any photos I post on my site are there as snapshots, nothing more, and certainly not worthy of even a compliment for their accidental quality or composition, much less payment or claim of being products from a professional. I don't expect folks to admire or be impressed by them; they are there simply for the participants and coworkers to share in the memories of an event.

The question begs, then, what does she expect from publicly exposing these photos? Work? Modeling shoots? Wedding gigs? If so, there's a serious delusion at work here. If all she's doing is sharing snaps with friends & family around the country or world, then who cares, there's a million more like it or worse.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
I think that the point of much of this is that the website address, including "...photography" (indicating a professional's online CV, as it were), the implication is that this is more an avocation than mere hobby. As such, it is horribly inept, and actually embarrassing to look at. It really is that bad, more I think because of the apparent obliviousness of the photographer to it all. If this were simply a family site, and not put forth from the top page to be indicative of a realistic work effort, nobody would take notice.

A harsh critique, to be sure, but not undeserved, because of the point of my first sentence.

Any photos I post on my site are there as snapshots, nothing more, and certainly not worthy of even a compliment for their accidental quality or composition, much less payment or claim of being products from a professional. I don't expect folks to admire or be impressed by them; they are there simply for the participants and coworkers to share in the memories of an event.

The question begs, then, what does she expect from publicly exposing these photos? Work? Modeling shoots? Wedding gigs? If so, there's a serious delusion at work here. If all she's doing is sharing snaps with friends & family around the country or world, then who cares, there's a million more like it or worse.
Exactly my sentiments, and this all is logical....

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
well I don't like how a lot of you put her down so easily when plenty of the photos posted here are lackluster. Also, the fact that she (may) use a p&s doesn't mean anything about the quality of the shots. I used one up until last summer, and I think I did quite well with it, if I do say so myself.

You people should back off and have better things to do than belittle someone (who hasn't even posted here!) to make yourselves feel better. Shame.

JNB

macrumors 604
You people should back off and have better things to do than belittle someone (who hasn't even posted here!) to make yourselves feel better. Shame.

I certainly don't feel better, nor do I feel worse. I simply made an observation. Belittling would have taken place (on my part, anyway) if I were to make impolite comments not directly related to the demonstrated skill or quality of work. I could have called her a talentless hack (being one myself, I see commonality in our work), but I do not, because I have no proof that she is actually without talent, but maybe merely needing training and direction.

People have the ability to publicly present their work (her presence or lack of same on this particular forum is immaterial, she posted a website, which is open to anyone for viewing and linking for discussion); in doing so, they offer themselves up for comment, positive and negative, much of it without their knowledge. Welcome to the Internet, where "polite discourse" is confused for sex among the peerage.

Granted, there are a disturbingly large number of individuals that take a grade-school approach in their commentary, and like our skill-challenged photographer, also open themselves up to ridicule and public scorn. But, this is still open territory, and fools cannot be chided into "emotionally supportive" behavior, they can only be blocked or ignored until they slither away to a new forum for their inanity.

walangij

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
MI

X2

Nothing good can come out of this tread.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location

You formed your opinion when you saw the photos, whether you want to share your thoughts or not. Normally I wouldn't say anything, but she made a site to promote her photography and business of selling photos to people, and when you make your work public, and you're advertising your work, then the public should be allowed to criticise.

If she didn't sell herself as a "Special Occasion" photographer, or make a site to show and promote her photography, then you're all correct.....it would be in poor taste to criticise. Since this is not the case, I don't mind criticising this "professional" at all. And yes, that's what she is. She's charging money for her photography, so yes, she's a "pro", regardless of how you choose to look at it.

PS: She's advertising her services on craigslist. Advertising + charging money = "professional" to me.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I mean what happen to freedom to do what you want as long it doesn't effect you. Someone brought up a good point, what if that lady has short life and is living it. Not being mean but lately I am seeing post that make fun or ridicule certain individuals, groups or professionals.
What happened to freedom of speech? She's allowed to take pictures and post them on her site, others are allowed to voice their opinion about them, you're allowed to voice your opinion about their opinions, and I'm allowed to voice my opinion about your opinion.

As others have said, it's the fact that she's charging money and advertising as a photographer for hire that is the center point for the criticism.

Lethal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.