Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
For a long time now, YouTube has been randomly "shadow-banning" comments, including ones containing absolutely no profanity or links (or anything else obvious like threats). This is happening to many, many people, and I've posted about it before on this forum. Now they're removing public comments for completely bogus reasons and not even telling you what the comment(s) was/were. What kind of way to run a website is this? Crazy. I just got this pop-up while simply browsing YouTube:

Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 10.52.10 AM.png

I never post links or anything promoting anything, legit or not. And notice they say it "may" violate Community Guidelines, not that it "does." What a mess. I certainly left feedback accordingly.

Carry on.

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
My guess is that they probably have AI monitoring comments, leading to all kinds of weird moderation decisions.

Probably. It's just so annoying because I see people leave all sorts of nasty lewd and/or profanity-laden comments, some of which are still visible years later, and apparently that's ok 🙄 Why those comments don't get shadow-banned upon those users hitting "Reply" is beyond me.

I did check my comment history and noticed nothing recent that seemed to be missing, but for all I know this could be a comment I made months ago since they don't tell you what it was 🤷🏼‍♂️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.