Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sandifop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
Has anyone seen or found a cap for the 15 Pro?

I do not want to add another layer of glass to my lens; I want something opaque that screams ‘remove the cap, dummy’ before I take my pictures. There are a thousand and one clear lens covers for the Pro and Pro Max phones but I’m having a hard time finding a lens cap.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
Has anyone seen or found a cap for the 15 Pro?

I do not want to add another layer of glass to my lens; I want something opaque that screams ‘remove the cap, dummy’ before I take my pictures. There are a thousand and one clear lens covers for the Pro and Pro Max phones but I’m having a hard time finding a lens cap.
I’ve only seen cases with built-in sliding covers.

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012

Attachments

• IMG_0498.jpeg
    IMG_0498.jpeg
    23.8 KB · Views: 56
Reactions: sandifop

sandifop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
That’s all I have found, too. I use a Peak Design case with a locking mount on my bike; which is one reason I need a cap. (Bug splats)

I’ve only seen cases with built-in sliding covers.

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
I was using the solid lens cover mentioned above for a month and the closing mechanism stopped working: the cover became floppy. After another few hours of looking I found this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1417226591/iphone-13-14-15-propro-max-camera-lens

It seems more what I first envisioned, is cheaper, simpler, and soon will be in my mailbox.
3D Molded Lens Cap
I mean, fair enough if you like it but I think that looks hideous. Even worse than the first one.

The glass on the lenses is stronger than the screen glass. Why do you want to cover/protect them so bad?

You'll have to unclip that everytime you use the camera? Annoying, no?

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I was using the solid lens cover mentioned above for a month and the closing mechanism stopped working: the cover became floppy. After another few hours of looking I found this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1417226591/iphone-13-14-15-propro-max-camera-lens

It seems more what I first envisioned, is cheaper, simpler, and soon will be in my mailbox.
3D Molded Lens Cap

3D printed cap - I might design and make my own. Looks like a quick and simple print!
The seller you link to is charging £3.96 for the item - which is a fair price, but £16.52 for delivery??!!! lol

I mean, fair enough if you like it but I think that looks hideous. Even worse than the first one.

The glass on the lenses is stronger than the screen glass. Why do you want to cover/protect them so bad?

He stated above it is for bug splats while cycling. I can see how that could be annoying! Covering the lens area while riding seems like a good solution.

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
3D printed cap - I might design and make my own. Looks like a quick and simple print!
The seller you link to is charging £3.96 for the item - which is a fair price, but £16.52 for delivery??!!! lol

He stated above it is for bug splats while cycling. I can see how that could be annoying! Covering the lens area while riding seems like a good solution.
Fair enough. I didn’t read the whole thread. The last lens cover looked more permanent

Reactions: sandifop

sandifop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007

I don’t care (too much) what it looks like and my concern isn’t really breaking the lens.

My phone spends most of its life in my lint filled pocket, subject to fingerprints when I put my hands on it to pull it out; or, on my motorcycle handlebars getting pelted with grit that can erode glass after thousands of miles.

I can clean my lens or remove the lens cap when I pull up the phone for a picture, I choose to pull off the cap.

All the best

sandifop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007

Quite right as to why.

I no longer have a printer and my delivered costs were $4.95US (for two) and $1.50 to post. So it was worth it.

My remaining concern is the case I use for motoring has crazy close tolerances around the camera bump: will it fit? If not, I always have my trusty exacto knife.

Reactions: Ifti

sandifop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
I have received the 3D printed lens cap and it works fine with my Everyday Case (Peak Designs) which has very close tolerance around the camera bump.

I don’t believe the cap will fall off on its own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.