Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mitchdoc

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
Hi @Executor and @Mitchdoc ! Thanks for letting me know.
Ah yes Python 2 is deprecated and supposed to go away eventually.

The next xdr-tuner version relies on Python 3, and is getting closer to completion.
I just fixed now an issue which prevented to re-apply automatically at boot on the new version.
For ease of use, it might probably be best to distribute it via the App Store, or at least as an app so I started to look into that.

Interestingly, Monterey 12.3 fixed an issue in ColorSync framework on the XDR MBP M1 16", where RGB channels were inverted (and I realized later that they were somehow not inverted on the 14" thanks to a tester).
So I'll check if the OS update brings some more changes.

I'll also take a quick look if a pip install of the right dependencies could restore the functionality of the currently released python2 version of xdr-tuner.
hey there any news?

yosh22

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2019
Thank you François for making this tool! this is exactly what I am looking for, this could be a life saver. I am now on 12.3.1 and get the error "/usr/bin/python2.7: no such file or directory" should I install python in order to use the "app"? I cannot find any app so it seems we have still to run it in the terminal. Thank you for the help.

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Thank you François for making this tool! this is exactly what I am looking for, this could be a life saver. I am now on 12.3.1 and get the error "/usr/bin/python2.7: no such file or directory" should I install python in order to use the "app"? I cannot find any app so it seems we have still to run it in the terminal. Thank you for the help.
It's best to wait for the next version that supports Python3.

yosh22

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2019
It's best to wait for the next version that supports Python3.
I understand, unfortunately I have to decide if I keep the machine tonight, apparently supercurio was nearly done with the python 3 version 3 weeks ago but nothing since then. I thought it would be easier to reinstall python 2,7 what I did but I get errors in the script when I launch it "ImportError: No module named Foundation"
It´s not as easy as I thought and I have no dev. knowledge.

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
I understand, unfortunately I have to decide if I keep the machine tonight, apparently supercurio was nearly done with the python 3 version 3 weeks ago but nothing since then. I thought it would be easier to reinstall python 2,7 what I did but I get errors in the script when I launch it "ImportError: No module named Foundation"
It´s not as easy as I thought and I have no dev. knowledge.
If you want to try, you'll need to do the following:

1. Re-install Python 2.7:

https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-2718/

2. Run this command in terminal to re-install the missing modules:

Code:
pip install pyobjc

3. Change directory in script to:

/usr/bin/env python

That will get most of the features to work but some stuff is still broken from my testing.

Reactions: yosh22

yosh22

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2019
Amazing, I was missing the point 2 "Run this command in terminal to re-install the missing modules"
it seems to work, thank you very much.

Reactions: Ron21

yosh22

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2019
It works great. Only 2 issues for me:
- the auto-apply in 12.3.1 doesn´t work, the profile is loaded in color sync but I need to reload it manually to activate it
- I am loosing 10 values in luminescence after applying the new profile what I thought should not happen.

I am keeping the machine, thanks to you supercurio!
When this will be sorted out it will be a must have for any color lover.

proto33

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2022
Hello @supercurio

Any progress with this? I would love to fine tune my new MBP white point a bit without losing the HDR brightness. I think many people are waiting for the new version of your 'app'. I, for one, would be even willing to pay for a working solution :)

Thlr4

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2014
Brisbane Australia
Hi @supercurio is this project dead?

I just bought a 14" MacBook Pro and immediately saw a green/yellow tinge and your app worked great to set the RGB values and generate an ICC file. I have to apply it at each boot through coloursync as your apply command doesn't work in 12.2, but it is well worth it.

I'm within the 14 day return period so just wanting to know what the go is moving forward.

Can you say if this project is dead or not? While it looks great now, I don't want to get to an OS upgrade and the ICC profiles generated by XDR Tuner are rejected by macOS for some reason.

I'd be very happy to contribute to your work, the factory calibration is way too yellow and I've always just used the white point slider to make my Mac screens a little bit cooler. Taking this away in the XDR displays makes 0 sense (I get the reference profiles, but no white point temp calibration silder or brightness changing in the different profiles etc is strange)

Thlr4

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2014
Brisbane Australia
Hi @supercurio is this project dead?

I just bought a 14" MacBook Pro and immediately saw a green/yellow tinge and your app worked great to set the RGB values and generate an ICC file. I have to apply it at each boot through coloursync as your apply command doesn't work in 12.2, but it is well worth it.

I'm within the 14 day return period so just wanting to know what the go is moving forward.

Can you say if this project is dead or not? While it looks great now, I don't want to get to an OS upgrade and the ICC profiles generated by XDR Tuner are rejected by macOS for some reason.

I'd be very happy to contribute to your work, the factory calibration is way too yellow and I've always just used the white point slider to make my Mac screens a little bit cooler. Taking this away in the XDR displays makes 0 sense (I get the reference profiles, but no white point temp calibration silder or brightness changing in the different profiles etc is strange)
Seems like it is dead.

I've returned the Mac as the tuner app didn't work under 12.4 and Apple seem not to care.
Reference modes are great but not being able to adjust the white point temp or gamma without calibration hardware is a step in the wrong direction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.