Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia

A very interesting read about Xiaomi. Xiaomi has become the number one brand in my country due to their low-cost offerings. This issue is a concern.

I wish more security audits are being released on various smartphones. They are no longer just a phone, they're an extension of one's private life.

Reactions: 5105973

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Funny how this just keeps popping up. There was a Huawei thread were people denied security was an issue with Huawei. But instead it was the US president(Trump) at the time was playing politics. Despite all the information that backed up the US ban of Huawei.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
I used to deal with Huawei’s head office before they were known in North America. They had some cool phones in their display case and I always used to ask them if there was anyway to get one. They knew me personally and I used to horse around with a few of the IT guys. Now I know why they would not let me have one of their phones.

magicman32

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
Ya know what, on second thought, I’ll pass on this debate lol.

Last edited:

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
“Ya know what, on second thought, I’ll pass on this debate lol.”

I’d say that is a smart move. But while one may think a device is safe on inspection, you could miss some things like the vulnerability of the phone to a baseband modem attack from the modem to the processor and on to the memory. There are phones out there that cripple the speed from the modem to the processor to protect the user, but these are few and far between.

It goes without saying that most people’s lives are just boring to the powers that be, but by cleverly baking vulnerabilities into the design that gets mass manufactured to say hundreds of millions of units; this gives you true freedom to spy on anyone that pops up on the radar.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
“Ya know what, on second thought, I’ll pass on this debate lol.”

I’d say that is a smart move. But while one may think a device is safe on inspection, you could miss some things like the vulnerability of the phone to a baseband modem attack from the modem to the processor and on to the memory. There are phones out there that cripple the speed from the modem to the processor to protect the user, but these are few and far between.

It goes without saying that most people’s lives are just boring to the powers that be, but by cleverly baking vulnerabilities into the design that gets mass manufactured to say hundreds of millions of units; this gives you true freedom to spy on anyone that pops up on the radar.

separate from the operating system software they have been known to imbed instructions in the hardware to report home so to speak.

They have found this in Huawei switches and routers and infrastructure appliances.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Now we are going back a few years but in North America the receptionist at their head office would have a BlackBerry Z10 on her desk and nobody batted an eye. I gave them rack servers back then. Nobody in the industry is innocent - that’s just the way it was. But this was before they entered the market with cellphones. The only thing they had back then were rocket sticks with one carrier. Me think the receptionist would have a Huawei phone these days.

Check their business disclosures and they are a massive - massive - business entity. Huawei’s daughter has been repatriated to China curtesy of Biden as of this past Friday. Canada gets back the two Micheals in return.
Not your average cellphone company!

Nothing to see here

Reactions: ian87w

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Now we are going back a few years but in North America the receptionist at their head office would have a BlackBerry Z10 on her desk and nobody batted an eye. I gave them rack servers back then. Nobody in the industry is innocent - that’s just the way it was. But this was before they entered the market with cellphones. The only thing they had back then were rocket sticks with one carrier. Me think the receptionist would have a Huawei phone these days.

Check their business disclosures and they are a massive - massive - business entity. Huawei’s daughter has been repatriated to China curtesy of Biden as of this past Friday. Canada gets back the two Micheals in return.
Not your average cellphone company!

Nothing to see here
Yeah.
Huawei makes great products. But one cannot deny the potential interference/influence from the Chinese government in the company. China has a completely different corporate culture, view, and system than a typical western-based concept of a "private company." And what we think is "bad," it may be "perfectly okay" for them.

It's too bad as Huawei phones are actually quite good.

Reactions: CheesegraterMac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.