Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
In any case, a few percent of difference in some abstract score says that under realistic conditions, you will not be able to tell pictures apart taken with either of the cameras.

Exactly the benefit of having such data. If the differences in image quality are nominal, then one can rule out image quality as a factor in deciding between the two cameras.

Perhaps I should have summarized the comparison in words, but I thought the numbers in the DxO comparison made the point pretty clear: the sensor in the XSi is on par with the 40D. So the question for the OP is whether or not an extra dial and a top LCD are worth an extra $130 or so. For that difference, you could buy the battery grip.

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
Congrats! It must feel very similar than my Sigma 30mm on my 40D -- though the image quality should be few steps up compared to the 3rd party lens...

Should I have the money, I'd upgrade that Sigma to a Canon 24mm f/1.4L and I'm going to eventually buy a 16-35 mark1 that's for sure :)

Thanks! I too would like to get the 16-35 someday...that's the problem with the L lenses...now that i have a couple I don't want to use anything else. Who knew glass could be a drug? ;)

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Really? Why? Please elaborate. They supposedly do objective testing of RAW sensor data, which seems quite valuable information to inform any purchasing decision.

a 350D has the same sensor rating as a 30D. I don't have personal experience, but I'm told Pentax sensors don't compare to Canon ones - but K20D is 25th. MF backs are regularly outdone by 135 and APS sensors. the Mamiya ZD back scores a piddly 64.4, barely in front of a D200 - having seen images from the camera, and having used a D200, I know that's just crap, even if it has to be shot at or near base ISO.

Canon stopped watering down the entry-level camera sensors with the 450D, so the image quality should be close(r) to a 40D, but that's simply not the case for the 30D vs the older ones.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
This might make you sad... but a few months ago you could get from Amazon a new XSi with kit lens with IS (pretty good actually) and the new 55 - 250 mm zoom, also with IS, for about 720.00.

Oh, and they threw in a free Tiffton filter as well.

Don't know when the next promotion is though... winter?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.