Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Flabbergasted.

A man who doesn't know how to use a computer is going to get the not-so-user-friendly 40D. I'm not saying it's impossible for him, but different design approach than Nikon.

Again, get a D80. I don't really agree that film is the way to go. At this point in his life, and from the description given by the OP, the man probably just wants to take photos, plug his camera into a computer, and view them immediately.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
.. he has always sworn by his 50 year old nikon. All of a sudden, he is interested. He does not know how to use a computer, so ease of use is extremely important.

I wonder how many people here know what SLRs were like 50 years ago. I'm kind of a collector.

Funny you should use the words "Ease of Use". 50 Years ago cameras did not even have built-in light meters. and a "quick return mirror" was a big feature in a camera. I actually own a 50 year old SLR. (made is 1956, I think. The camera is older than I am) My D50 is a lot easier to use than the old Exacta.

BTW I think the two SLRs sold new for the same price -SLRs were hugely expensive in the 50's, close to the price of a new car. 50 years ago very few people had SLRs.

Here is a picture of what I have. About the only SLR there was 50 yeas ago
http://www.exakta.org/org35/orgvarexvx/vxversione4.pdf
Later Nikon introduced the "F", It is so much better built. Much more sturdy
but heaver. A Japanese truck compared to a German sports car. I've got one
of these Early Nikons too. http://www.cameraquest.com/fhistory.htm

Cave Man

macrumors 604
At this point in his life, and from the description given by the OP, the man probably just wants to take photos, plug his camera into a computer, and view them immediately.

According to the OP, grandpa wants to take the flash card to a digital photo processor and get prints made from it - he doesn't want to do any computer work. This really isn't any different than the "old days" where you shot a roll of film and dropped it off to have prints made.

The truth is, we know nothing about grandpa's photo skills or what he shot with. Unless I missed something, there's no mention of his film camera other than it's a Nikon. Could be an SLR or a rangefinder or some other. All this is sort of irrelevant. If he's been shooting for 50 years, then he knows about exposure and composure; the two essentials of photography. He simply needs to know how to control the new DSLR's functions.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
You know, for the way he intends to use this new digital camera - there's no real advantage over shooting film because he's basically doing the exact same thing in terms of handling (just substitute a memory card for a 35mm film canister). Ever considered showing him how easy it'd be to use iPhoto, maybe on a low-end iMac? Even if all he did was use iPhoto, he could have the screensaver rotate through his favorite photos. It'd be like a really nice digital picture frame.

70 isn't too old to learn this stuff.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
You're right. I thought he was going to put that card into his own computer.

If he owns a computer (WinXP or Mac), I still think an easy-to-use DSLR is better for him than film. Apparently he wants to take the SD/CF card to a photo shop and have them print it directly. Why? Probably because he thinks it's too difficult to use a computer and he doesn't want to bother.

While this man supposedly gets frustrated with computers, he may quickly realize that moving the photos from camera to computer is easier than he originally thought. A digital photography class would show him how easy it is for him to view files on a computer before getting them printed. He doesn't want to learn how to use a computer, but can he plug a camera into a computer? You don't even need to know how to use a computer to do that.

Now that I think about it, a D40x + 18-200 mm VR may be better than a D80 for him. Pushing a button and using the jog dial/wheel may actually be difficult.* Reading off the LCD would also be easier for his eyes.

*I'm assuming he's as technologically incapable as my mum.

Jdot

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2007
Fairport Harbor, Ohio
If i were you i would find a used nikon d50. I tried using a friends rebel xti and I had to spend countless time fixing color and lighting in the photos i took. Especially since he already has a Nikon film slr most of his old lenses should be compatible with it and stay away from the d40 series as this really isn't a true SLR more of a "Consumer" based camera that you can change the lenses on.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
... I'm not married to the idea that anyone over 55 must stay away from a dSLR, just a thought...
Hey... I'm glad you're not married to the idea of 55 and over being ineligible to understand anything digital...;) Some of the best photographers in the world are well over that age, and I'd bet more than a few of them use dSLRs, and well. Heck, some can even turn on an iPod and boot their laptops... amazing, huh! :cool:

Bigtree

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
If he doesn't like technology, he will struggle with a digital. I have a 20D and the new XTI (400D). If he has small hands, and doesn't want to carry much weight, the XTI. Both are have quite a learning curve, as well as Nikon digitals.

BanjoBanker

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2006
Mt Brook, AL
Older is BETTER

I am here to take up for the over 50 crowd. I use a Nikon D70 and an F3. Once in a blue moon I will take my Leica IIIc out for a few rolls of film. My 87 year old father took my D70 on a trip to DC last week and he is very happy with the results. I set it to auto and told him to leave it alone and shoot away (4 Gb card shooting jpegs for him) and he would be fine. Well, he thought with all the options he should try them out. He switched to manual and told me he liked it better. He left the auto focus on however. If the OP's grandfather has been shooting Nikon SLRs for over 50 years, he will pick up on a dSLR a lot quicker than most people think. :cool:

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Another "golden oldie" here! I have been using SLR cameras since the early 1970's and computers since the mid-1980's. I went through a phase where I set down the SLRs and used only a series of Coolpix cameras for a while -- my introduction to digital imaging. When I picked up the D70 for the first time it had been about eight or nine years since I'd handled an SLR, and I was gratified at how quickly some things came back to me. Once you learn the basics they stick with you.....

My mother was 92 years old when she got her first "computer," an internet-ready device called an iOpener. A couple years later she was ready for her first "real" computer, a basic Dell something-or-other. She had no problems learning how to surf the web or doing email.

So I wouldn't be too quick to say that the original poster's grandfather isn't going to be able to handle a DSLR or even a computer....

Bigtree

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
It doesn't matter your age. Is it a matter of embracing technology or not.

Some want to and some don't.

MacUserSince87

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2007
Northern Virginia, USA
Take Gramps to BestBuy

Quality-wise anything from a 5MP point and shoot on up will likely meet his needs so my advice would be to take your grandfather down to a store like Best Buy where he can handle a variety of cameras styles and find the one which he is most comfortable with in terms of ergonomics, viewfinder, LCD playback, etc.

If he is accustomed to shooting negative film which is very forgiving of overexposure he may be very disapointed in the results he will get from digital unless he develops some basic editing chops. So before throwing money at the problem you might consider letting him try your camera for a day or so then process the files directly out of the camera. He might decide the whole digital thing is too much bother.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.