Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Ok How is this combo?

The D40 + 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX NIKKOR

TOTAL = 280 + 430 = 710...

With that I could just get the D80?

That's a great combination, although honestly, you may as well just get the D60 + 18-55 mm VR lens and save yourself several hundred quid. That's a huge price difference between what you had initially planned, and what you have listed above. I don't think it's worth the difference. With that much money, there are other quality lenses you can get to compliment your 18-55 mm. If you don't want to switch lenses, then the 16-85 mm VR lens will be a bit more flexible, as would the 18-135 mm, which doesn't have VR.

If you're so desperate for the VR, then get the D60 + 18-55 mm VR lens, and if you are willing to spend the extra £150 (I don't know exact pricing in the UK), then get the 55-200 mm as well. This really should take care of all your needs. You need VR more for longer lenses. Camera shake isn't as apparent when dealing with short lenses (eg: at 18 mm, 30 mm, etc).

Mind you, I have some semi-expensive lenses, and only one lens with VR, and yet I don't miss it.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
D40 has a faster image sensor thanks to its bigger pixels (which makes it have fewer pixels, as the total sensor area is the same). In low light situations, it might be helpful as your shutter speed can be higher, so you'd be subject to less camera shake.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
I think I will get the D40 and the Nikon 16-85mm VR f3.5-5.6g ED AF-S DX Nikkor Lens

Then when i upgrade, i will still have a good lens plus when i upgrade I can upgrade without lens etc.

Out of curiosity, do any friends or family have a dSLR already? The reason I ask is that if they do, and you at least go with the same brand you can swap lenses etc. This can be useful when it comes to looking at which lens to get, if you can borrow lens X then you can do with lens Y and just borrow the other lens on occasion. I don't have any allegiance to a brand but I will be going with Canon as my best friend and his brother both use Canon, so we can borrower lenses/accessories when needed and not all be buying everything in triplicate.

Kaiser Phoenix

Cancelled
Original poster
May 12, 2005
Out of curiosity, do any friends or family have a dSLR already? The reason I ask is that if they do, and you at least go with the same brand you can swap lenses etc. This can be useful when it comes to looking at which lens to get, if you can borrow lens X then you can do with lens Y and just borrow the other lens on occasion. I don't have any allegiance to a brand but I will be going with Canon as my best friend and his brother both use Canon, so we can borrower lenses/accessories when needed and not all be buying everything in triplicate.

Yeah my entire family is Nikon (e.g. grand parents, parents etc) hence why I am only looking at Nikon stuff since its about the SYSTEM as many people have hammered home to me.

Now that I think about it, i think I may shell out extra for the D80 as it has inbuilt AF and then I can use pretty much all the other lens that my family has...

Kaiser Phoenix

Cancelled
Original poster
May 12, 2005
Hi everybody, thank you very much for all the suggestions and help. Today after a while of sleepless nights, i went with the D80. I just felt that the D80 was more 'substantial' and the D40 felt abit like a toy (although no offence Im sure it produces the same quality photos and everything) just that for me, the internal motor for focusing was quite crucial as my family has many Nikon lenses that I could put to good use.

Anyway, thank you all.

jbrindger

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2008
Good Pick

I love my camera and I have run into no complaints on the D80. You really will not notice the weight difference. It takes awesome pictures. Everything I have read said is the best camera bang for you buck on the market. BTW it smoked it's comparable Cannon model in a head to head match up on CNET.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I love my camera and I have run into no complaints on the D80. You really will not notice the weight difference. It takes awesome pictures. Everything I have read said is the best camera bang for you buck on the market. BTW it smoked it's comparable Cannon model in a head to head match up on CNET.

Interesting, everything I've read about cameras in this class list the Pentax K10D as far and away the best bang for the buck camera on the market.

SLC

scamateur

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2007
[quote ]Hi everybody, thank you very much for all the suggestions and help. Today after a while of sleepless nights, i went with the D80. I just felt that the D80 was more 'substantial' and the D40 felt abit like a toy (although no offence Im sure it produces the same quality photos and everything) just that for me, the internal motor for focusing was quite crucial as my family has many Nikon lenses that I could put to good use.
You can rest well knowing that you have chosen a "no excuses" camera that will allow you to make photos as good as anyone anywhere, the sole limitation being your ability. The D80 is an amazing camera, but it is not the camera that makes an amazing picture.

Best of luck to you!

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Don't forget to claim your cashback! http://www.nikon.co.uk/sites/cashback/default.html

I've had visitors for a few days so haven't seen this thread before.

I noticed that one or two people have suggested buying the D40 body only with a lens of choice. Are there any retailers offering the D40 body only in the UK? (not ebay)

jaydennguyen

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2008
Please help me with this

Hi;
After reading all of your posts, I realy want to go with D80, I saw the nikon import from china realy cheap, anyone can help me with this? Is that O.K with Nikon import or much be USA.

Thanks

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Hi;
After reading all of your posts, I realy want to go with D80, I saw the nikon import from china realy cheap, anyone can help me with this? Is that O.K with Nikon import or much be USA.

Thanks

Buying so-called "gray market" imports can be problematic from a warranty standpoint. Nikon's official policy is "no warranty", and they state that not only is there no warranty, but NikonUSA won't service the camera at all, ever, even if you agree to pay for it. So they say. How strictly they enforce that, I don't know.

Here's Thom Hogan's take on it. I recommend you read it before going the gray market route.

http://www.bythom.com/warranty.htm

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
D40 + a good telephoto lens is a better buy than the base D60 kit.
The D80 makes more sense if you want a more complete DSLR package.

BTW, the difference between 6 and 10 megapixels is almost irrelevant, especially if the sensors are the same size and type. (D40 and D60 use 23mm x 15mm CCD)
(smaller photosites usually = more noise, all else being equal)

superuser2

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2008
Blur probably isn't that big of a deal... with the D40 you can shoot at ISO 800 and the results are just beautiful... hardly any noise at all. You'll lose this with the D60 because there are more pixels jammed into the same size sensor.

Noise happens when the pixels get so sensitive they pick up on electrical signals from other pixels. SLRs are better with this because they have physically larger sensors. But when you cram more pixels into the same size sensor you get more noise.

Get the D40. If you need any further persuasion see http://kenrockwell.com

Hello.there

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
Couch
As someone who went for the D40 and Aperture.....I'd go go for the D40 and Aperture. :)

The D40: my way of thinking on this....the D40 is a superb camera, it takes beautiful quality photos and is more than enough to test yourself out if you're a DSLR beginner or a bit more advanced than that. If your budget is an issue then I would go with the D40 and try it out for a year or so - if you feel you're ready to move on at that stage, and you've used your camera enough to justify paying more, then sell it and upgrade.

(If you can afford the 18-200 lens with the D40 then go for it, it's a beaut).

Aperture: If you intend taking hundreds or thousands of photos then Aperture (or Lightroom, which is equally as excellent) is worth buying. Lots of people here will tell you that it's only for semi-pros or pros, that iPhoto will suffice for amateurs....that's bull****! Aperture/Lightroom are wonderful for any one who takes lots of photos, both in terms of organisation and basic editing, they're infinitely better than iPhoto.

Best of luck.

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
Why not the D40 (body only) plus the 18-55 VR lens (also sold separately). Or a 50 mm f/1.8 which I think everyone should own anyway! the f/1.8 designation means it has a huge aperture opening, helps a lot in low light and paired with the high ISO ability of the D40 it would be just as good in low light as the 18-55 VR, maybe even better.
SLC

But it's a MF lens

NintendoChick

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
I am also planning on getting a DSLR, in the next month. I will be picking up the D40 with the Non-VR kit lens, as well as the 55-200mm Nikon VR lens. The longer distances are when I need help... Later, I will consider the 50mm prime lens.

Don't forget a solid bag for your gear! Also, I would wait to purchase an expensive editing program. Right now, I use photoshop elements 5.0, and couldn't be happier!

I just can't justify the extra MP on the D60. I'm don't really plan on printing gigantic pictures anytime soon...

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
No good with our D40's.

There is such a thing as manual focus.

I use an E series 50mm lens with my D40. It's a manual focus lens and doesn't meter on the D40. Completely manual, and it works just fine.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
The knock-off 1.8 50mm will fit a D40 and have autofocus. Can't remember the knock-off companies name though. The actual Nikon one isn't AFS :( No good with our D40's.

Is there really a 50mm prime lens out there that will autofocus on a D40? Could someone please drop the brand name? I have a friend who needs one.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
I believe this one might (Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras, Amazon link ).

Sigma! That was the brand name I blanked on (it was late forgive me). Yea, my understanding is that that lens works great with the D40.

To those saying that the lenses 'work fine' with the D40 with manual focus and no metering, yes that is technically true. I personally don't want to always put up with those limitations though, as I often will take pictures with autofocus and "P" mode. I guess I'm not a purist, but a lens that won't meter or autofocus is a deal-killer for me.

mikesta21

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
hmm. I'm in a similar situation. In US, the prices are:

d40 w/ non VR kit lens (18-55)-410

d60 w/ VR kit lens - 510

or rebel XS -460 with IS kit lens..

figured I'd throw the canon in the mix. I don't really want the extra MP, but if I want to take pictures of objects at night, should I go for the VR? its only 1oo USD more.

mike.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Hi everybody, thank you very much for all the suggestions and help. Today after a while of sleepless nights, i went with the D80. I just felt that the D80 was more 'substantial' and the D40 felt abit like a toy (although no offence Im sure it produces the same quality photos and everything) just that for me, the internal motor for focusing was quite crucial as my family has many Nikon lenses that I could put to good use.

Anyway, thank you all.

Congrats!

Your thinking is just what I went through in UPGRADING to a D80 from my D40. I wanted the motor, the LCD status screen, the 10.2mp, 11 point focusing system etc. The D40 did feel like a toy compared to the D80, and it has been such a great camera to learn on.

I was able to get a D80 body for just $400, and then I purchased an 18-105mm VR lens for $200. Great deal for me, when I sold my camera for $380 and my extra vr lens for $130. Didn't have to spend much more for an improvement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.