Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cullen

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2006
I like the new features it offers- way ahead of the D70.

Take into account the drop in base ISO, however, and it isn't so bad...plus you get auto FP high speed sync all the way to 1/4000 sec. Not exactly the same as the 1/500 native flash sync, but you also lose the blooming and other ill effects of the electronic shutter in the D70.

Not to mention the greater freedom in wireless flash :D

Point taken. The ISO drop was a must, Im not a particular fan of FP sync, but I can also understand that Im not representing the majority and Nikon didn't make it for me. I still prefer Pocket Wizards though :D

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Mmkay, thanks for the replies!

I'm pretty sure I'm going with the D80. I went down to the local Best Buy and had a lookie at both the A100 and D80 (the Canon was not working... but I suppose I decided that it's either the Sony or Nikion. I was very impressed with the D80 once again, and I talked to another woman who had just purchased one for her husband, and that they liked it lots better than her Digital Rebel (not sure what model of Canon she had...).

Ill keep everyone updated!

AndrewWx

Contributor
Feb 10, 2005
Ventura CA
Good Thing you held them

my two cents, while everyone is correct that ultimately the lenses will far outlast the body, you still are spending a chunk of change on the body. Make sure you like the way it feels in your hands, do you like where all the knobs are. These are the little things that all add up. I love having my ISO/Qual/WB buttons right there on top on my D200.

If you don't like the way your camera feels you probably won't want to buy more expensive glass for it.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Looong story guys, kinda of a hassle, but in the end, all is well!

Okay, so the place we ordered from, BestCameraPrices.com = scam! After much hassle with credit cards and all, the order was canceled. Holy heck, do not buy from them, ever!

Anyway, yesterday I went down to the local Ritz Camera retail store, and the staff was amazingly helpful. I went in knowing what I wanted, and I told them so, so they didn't give me any speech to sell me on stuff. Turns out, they had a sale on the D70s with the 18-70MM lens, so I went with that. I also purchased a spiffy case, 1GB card, UV filter, tripod, and protection for a total of $1,100.

I'm totally in love with the camera, and I have been reading the book as to get familiar with all the features and controls. Overall though, I'm super happy with my purchase choice, and I'm definitely going to enjoy using it!

electronbee

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2005
Another thing...

to support your decision for Nikon is that Zeiss now makes lenses in Nikon mount. Which was one of the driving points behind buying a Contax or Leica.

And, the super-duper legacy of Nikon lenses that will work with all Nikons.

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
the D80 is a fantastic camera. IMHO, it's just about as good as the D200.
That said, you should think about the Pentax K10D. It's the hands down best value in the price range you seem to be considering. It also has SR, which none of the cameras you meantioned do.

I love my K10. Great camera and I am VERY happy with the purchase. I had many older pentax lenses that drove the purchase but I think I definitely got a better camera than the current Nikon/Canon offerings.

I also have older nikon lenses and a D70 to use with them but that got shelved for the K10 and I think I'm just going to sell it as I love my K10 just that much more.

remember that what you're buying when you're buying a sony DSLR is really konica minolta- Sony merged with them for their SLR equipment so that's really what you're buying in the A100. So the brand is semi-established even though on the surface it appears not to be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.