Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pipetogrep

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2021
Hi PowerPC Peeps,

I set up a Hotline server over the weekend. I only learned about Hotline recently. It existed in the late 90s and early 00s and was a great combination of Instant messaging, news groups, chat rooms, and file downloads. It's decentralized, the servers are found via "trackers" and really neat. It's a shame that it was so short lived.

I'm hosting a server called "pipetogrep". You can find it in the Featured Servers tracker in the default hotline installation as show in the attached screenshot.

Feel free to drop by, post on the message board, chat, and download some files! We'd love to see you there!

Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 11.14.30 AM.png

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
Hi PowerPC Peeps,

I set up a Hotline server over the weekend. I only learned about Hotline recently. It existed in the late 90s and early 00s and was a great combination of Instant messaging, news groups, chat rooms, and file downloads. It's decentralized, the servers are found via "trackers" and really neat. It's a shame that it was so short lived.

I'm hosting a server called "pipetogrep". You can find it in the Featured Servers tracker in the default hotline installation as show in the attached screenshot.

Feel free to drop by, post on the message board, chat, and download some files! We'd love to see you there!

View attachment 2339784
Very cool, that does look neat. Does it run on OSX too or only classic?

Nevermind, I see the carbonized 1.9.2 client release now :) Not enough coffee :D

Reactions: pipetogrep

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Yes! I’ve been checking HL every now and then and saw the system7today.com crew have also setup a HL server in addition to a gopher space which you guys had a dive into on your show a while back.

Will jump on over to your server to say hello :cool:

• Love
Reactions: pipetogrep

pipetogrep

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2021
Yes! I’ve been checking HL every now and then and saw the system7today.com crew have also setup a HL server in addition to a gopher space which you guys had a dive into on your show a while back.

Will jump on over to your server to say hello :cool:
I'll try to be on there. I've got a VM running in the background that should alert me. Do at least sign the message board. That would make my day!

Last edited:

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
Boy, do I miss the good old Hotline days. With all the closed servers and that kind of stuff. When people were required to upload something useful, before getting access to downloads. ;)

P.S. I tried to use Nostalgia (Intel, SL) to log in and say hello, but could not locate any trackers. What's the tracker address?

pipetogrep

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2021
Boy, do I miss the good old Hotline days. With all the closed servers and that kind of stuff. When people were required to upload something useful, before getting access to downloads. ;)

P.S. I tried to use Nostalgia (Intel, SL) to log in and say hello, but could not locate any trackers. What's the tracker address?
hltracker.com

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021

Doq

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
The Lab DX
Y'know I never really got into Hotline (I was and still am a Haxial KDX user; a competing platform) but for the scene I'll pop in-- quite a bit as I begin my Late PowerPC Challenge here soon.

That’s for the news which I disabled posting on. There is a separate message board option.
Nah I ran into the same thing; trying to post in the Msg Board will throw the same "You are not allowed to post news." error.

pipetogrep

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2021
Y'know I never really got into Hotline (I was and still am a Haxial KDX user; a competing platform) but for the scene I'll pop in-- quite a bit as I begin my Late PowerPC Challenge here soon.

Nah I ran into the same thing; trying to post in the Msg Board will throw the same "You are not allowed to post news." error.
Found the issue with the news posting. Fixed now!

Reactions: AphoticD and Doq

LookingOut

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2024
Toronto
Hi PowerPC Peeps,

View attachment 2339784
I totally forgot about Hotline. Ran and visited a few back in the day. Thanks for the flashback.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
I’m in the same camp as @TheShortTimer here: I was very busy doing other stuff, with IRC and ICQ being the only two chat-oriented milieus I used during those inter-millennial years.

I never got into IRC and IRQ. MSN Messenger was the one that people harassed me into using - and typically for a Microsoft product it was severely flawed in terms of online security and was regularly used by the unethical/malicious to compromise PCs and spread malware between users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.