Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Given that there is so little on Apple TV+, you could literally watch everything they have in less than a month... normal binge-style watching that is.

Since their description and often times content don't mesh, it's probably a good idea to just try each one and see if it grabs your attention.

There are a few shows that people watch purely because the subscription is free... that if they had to outright sub to watch it, they'd probably skip it until a couple of seasons have racked up.

That's really the big issue with Apple TV+, the length of the seasons are really short and the subsequent seasons are far apart... so if you're all in to Ted Lasso for example, you could literally sub for one month then skip 6 months to a year before you would need to sub again... and that's watching as the episodes get released.

It's one thing if they have 8 years worth of a show on their service... but when they only have 6 episodes total... well it's a pretty sad service. Disney+ and Netflix and Hulu for example may have exactly the same amount of first run content to share with you, but they also have a back catalog of older content to keep you entertained between the down time. With Apple TV+, it's mostly down time with very little else.
Yeah, ATV+ is certainly a different beast. They're like Prime Video in some ways... that SS ain't too shabby on its own. However, it seems majority get Prime Video via Amazon Prime (for the shipping and shopping perks), and some of the other stuff bundled with that (e.g. Music, Photos). Here, it seems Apple's fine with their fare. The fact that you can get a whole mess of their services at a pretty good bundled rate via Apple One indicates that they're fine with ATV+ status compared to the competition. I know someone who's an Apple fan (has their phones, MacOS, and bought his wife an iPad) and only really has ATV+ and AA (Apple Arcade) because it's included in Apple One (it's still cheaper for him to do that for the other services offered).

That is quite a contrast indeed. I initially wondered why ATV+ is only $5 a month without ads, while Disney+ and Hulu go for $8 and $13 respectively. It makes sense. Disney+ is specialized towards their content, but they still have some generic stuff, and their own content is vast enough. Hulu is double the price but they're so comprehensive. Ironically enough, Hulu would've been the one I'd keep a perpetual subscription to. However, them axing their annual rates on the ad-free plan kept that from happening. I figured if I have to go month-to-month, may as well check out some of the other SS first!

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Still new to ATV+. I've enjoyed Greyhound (had this queued up as "that WW2 movie with Tom Hanks"). Have CODA queued up as well.

I'd like to get through most of what's already been suggested... Morning Show, Ted Lasso, Defending Jacob. I've already started See.

trash eighty

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2020
UK
I've liked a number of shows including FAM, Morning Show, Foundation, Invasion, Suspicion...

Favourite has been Tehran.

Coochie Boogs

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2022
New York
I have honestly gotten more enjoyment out of Apple TV+ than most of the others out there. So many of their show are really good.

The Servant
Physical
Foundation
Home Before Dark
Tehran

I could go on, maybe I am just a fanboy.

Reactions: Snørrbjørg

alexhardaker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
I have honestly gotten more enjoyment out of Apple TV+ than most of the others out there. So many of their show are really good.

The Servant
Physical
Foundation
Home Before Dark
Tehran

I could go on, maybe I am just a fanboy.
It’s better than Netflix at the moment

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Since my last post above (#30), I've seen CODA, and See. Not too shabby! Especially for $5/mo, and no ads! Two nice things I recently noticed are there's now an "Up Next" section on the main page after you log in, so for someone watching on a browsers in Windows, I no longer need to access the iPad just to look this stuff up. Still no search feature, but at least a workaround is to just go to Google and type in "Apple TV+ [name of program]" and that'll take me to the show itself.

It’s better than Netflix at the moment
Seems debatable. They definitely have more content, although at $10 to $16 a month, they'd better. Quality is obviously subjective, but a quick look-through of their catalogue shows there's enough there to keep my occupied. And if not, just cancel the sub! (I'm kind of glad ATV+ is like this since I can just quit sooner than later. Nice to have a closure and wrap these things up, save for TV series that leave you hanging, although not much you can do about that).

Reactions: madeirabhoy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.