Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Is this stuff good for someone who is interested in film school?

Attachments

• DSCF0705.jpg
    DSCF0705.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCF1018.jpg
    DSCF1018.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCF1037.jpg
    DSCF1037.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCF1047.jpg
    DSCF1047.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCF1053.jpg
    DSCF1053.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 92

brendanryder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
Calgary
im going to be honest.

There just snap shots.
1. is ok, it has potential but i really dont like the trees in there.
2. is just weird. needs better composition and its a little to busy. would be better if the staircase was darker making it less of a distraction.
3. nothing special.
4. theres nothing to it? what am i suspose to be looking at?
5. the dark trees bug me, and its just a normal sky which seams over exposed.

at this point you have just gone out side in your backyard(from what i can tell) with your P/S and taken some snapshots. using a P/S is fine but switch it to manual, the little M. play around with the settings and you will be able to compose much better pictures.

do you have Flickr? if yes PM your account and maybe i can give you some advice, if not, get it.

all in all these are not great photos but if you can take better ones, you just need to try.

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
im going to be honest.

There just snap shots.
1. is ok, it has potential but i really dont like the trees in there.
2. is just weird. needs better composition and its a little to busy. would be better if the staircase was darker making it less of a distraction.
3. nothing special.
4. theres nothing to it? what am i suspose to be looking at?
5. the dark trees bug me, and its just a normal sky which seams over exposed.

at this point you have just gone out side in your backyard(from what i can tell) with your P/S and taken some snapshots. using a P/S is fine but switch it to manual, the little M. play around with the settings and you will be able to compose much better pictures.

do you have Flickr? if yes PM your account and maybe i can give you some advice, if not, get it.

all in all these are not great photos but if you can take better ones, you just need to try.

This isn't my best work.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
This isn't my best work.

I'm gonna be honest here as well. If it's not your best work then why are you showing to us to critique? It seems like you heard the criticism and immediately became defensive. Constructive criticism is one of the best things you can get. brendanryder wasn't rude, he wasn't mean, and he critiqued your work AND gave you additional advice.

I have to say, I agree with him on all counts, but that doesn't mean you don't have potential. Use this criticism to push yourself harder, and further. Every time I begin to feel happy and content with my work I need someone to honestly critique it for me. It's the only way to really evolve as an artist.

You have to learn to show your work to people and not expect to hear "good shot", or "nice". I HATE the word nice. It's meaningless. I want people to be either blown away by my work, or deeply offended and hate it. I want to evoke a reaction, not hear "Sure, good job".

Go out, take more shots. That's the beauty of digital - take as many as you want to and learn from them.

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Well really I just wanted to see what you guys thought of it. I all seriousness, I just wanted to see how many comments I could get for it.

But I must say thank you for giving me (what to me sounds like) professional advice! I just have so many ideas for pictures but I never get out and take them. I have a library of only 220 photos taken over a period of 2 years! I need to change this!

bleufire

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2007
Well really I just wanted to see what you guys thought of it. I all seriousness, I just wanted to see how many comments I could get for it.

But I must say thank you for giving me (what to me sounds like) professional advice! I just have so many ideas for pictures but I never get out and take them. I have a library of only 220 photos taken over a period of 2 years! I need to change this!

220 photos? Yeah, you have a long ways to go...

I'm no where near pro, not even near intermediate, but i can tell you that when i started getting the photography bug about 18 months ago on a 3 day trip to Las Vegas, I took 300-350 photos over that short of time and it wasnt before long i realized... Wow, i still didn't take that many photos.

take a BUNCH of pictures of things, Review the pics you took and then learn the next time you go out what your pics were like before and try to better them again. Baby steps!

Go to a photography forum and see what people have to help you with. i personally like Photography-on-the.net

Also, the sky has some REALLY cool photos and can easily be attained by just about anyone with a camera on a nice cloudy day with the sun shining through and just aiming the camera up. (no offence!) I took a bunch of sky pics and thought they were really cool till i realized i had a couple dozen awesome sky shots and so does everyone else who owns any kind of camera.

Just keep taking pictures. You got a digi, you aint burning up film! :D

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
I agree with all the posts above. Once you get your flickr account, another great way to learn is by looking through other people's photos and seeing what you like about them. Once you have something specific to pursue like "how did that person get that look/effect/perspective", you'll find that you'll be more interested in learning new techniques and actually use them in your own photos. Whereas if you just read about a bunch of photography stuff without knowing what you want specifically to learn/improve, you won't think of/apply them to your own shots nearly as much.

Once again, don't get discouraged by the comments above, just keep working at it. Also, since few people know your "photography history", you should also encourage yourself when you see that progress that you've made. Today, I would feel embarrassed to show some of my pictures that I considered to be my "best photos" from last year (only really been into photography for about 3 years).

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Some more:

Attachments

• DSCF0557 copy.JPG
    DSCF0557 copy.JPG
    473.8 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCF0555 copy.JPG
    DSCF0555 copy.JPG
    490.5 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCF0553 copy.JPG
    DSCF0553 copy.JPG
    482.8 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCF0453 copy.JPG
    DSCF0453 copy.JPG
    670.8 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCF0598 copy.JPG
    DSCF0598 copy.JPG
    438.5 KB · Views: 96

bleufire

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2007
Today, I would feel embarrassed to show some of my pictures that I considered to be my "best photos" from last year (only really been into photography for about 3 years).

+ 1

I recently started feeling comfortable enough to start showing my photos to non-family members to get feedback and with some brutally honest friends, who WILL be the best people to help you in improving, let me know how my photos are.

I just came back from a camping trip and I took some photos and a select few i LOVED and put some time in photoshop to touch em up and i thought they were AWESOME. showed them to some co-workers and they let me know "Cool, this one is good, the others are ok..." Followed with how she felt about them. Very helpful stuff

brendanryder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
Calgary
Go to a photography forum and see what people have to help you with. i personally like Photography-on-the.net
best forum ever!(for photography :D)
Some more:
still not anything special. get out of our yard!!!!!!!!! and i mean that in the nicest possibly way. being young, im only 16 BTW, i know its tought to get out but it help soo much. because as ive learned not many good photos can be obtained from my yard.

sn00pie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
United States
Your second set is much better then the photos you posted in your first post.

220 photos in 2 years? It should be more like 2200 photos. Keep taking lots of pictures, practice makes perfect. Invest in a better camera too, even new photographers can take amazing photos with a proper camera. :)

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

220 photos in 2 years? It should be more like 2200 photos. Keep taking lots of pictures, practice makes perfect. Invest in a better camera too, even new photographers can take amazing photos with a proper camera. :)

Hey well thanks for the advice! This is a good website for photo stuff, but I should take a look at photography-on-the.net!

brendanryder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
Calgary

or 22000 :p
ive taken around 10000 in around 8 months haha.
Hey well thanks for the advice! This is a good website for photo stuff, but I should take a look at photography-on-the.net!

yes photography-on-the.net is an amazing website. you will learn sooo much.

RainForRent

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2006
Greenville, SC
Digital is a nice way to explore without wasting film. On the other hand, most people (in my experience) really learn composition, use of focus as a tool, and lighting as a medium of expression is through a plain-jane, fully mechanical, old-school, SLR film camera. Preferably a Pentax K1000. I would say that digital allows that wild, take 300 shots of an apple until you get it right, whereas the film makes you sit, meter, compose, and finally expose. Keep on working at it, no one is a pro at 17. Took some guts to post up on here.

stiphone

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
I just caught the photography bug and I'm waiting for my Nikon D80. Expected to arrive this coming Tuesday. Can't wait for it!!!

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
I liked the second batch. In my opinion, after having been accepted myself into Photography at Uni, those would be a good start for a portfolio. If you'd like, I can post mine to give you an idea of what unis look for. Cheers

thr33face

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
... If you'd like, I can post mine to give you an idea of what unis look for. Cheers

Please post the portfolio that you used to get into Photography at Uni. I'm really interested in that, if you are ok with that.

How often did you try?
Personally I already had 2 attempts and didn't make it. But I'm going to try again. :)

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Out of all the photos, I only like the second one but only because it suggestive of something else. It reminds me of the film 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind', that alone makes it more interesting because its letting me think about something else. The others are very blunt and are just dark pictures of tree lines and the sky. If you want to be suggestive then you need to go back to the drawing board.

+ 1

I recently started feeling comfortable enough to start showing my photos to non-family members to get feedback and with some brutally honest friends, who WILL be the best people to help you in improving, let me know how my photos are.

I just came back from a camping trip and I took some photos and a select few i LOVED and put some time in photoshop to touch em up and i thought they were AWESOME. showed them to some co-workers and they let me know "Cool, this one is good, the others are ok..." Followed with how she felt about them. Very helpful stuff

I don't doubt your friends advice but when it comes to photographic theory, the best people to get advice about your work is from actual photographers or teachers of photography. A lot of people will appreciate photography for mostly the aesthetic only.

I can show my friends and they wouldn't go into detail as much as my fellow photography friends or my lecturers.

More like 22,000 personally. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.