Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bleufire

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2007
I don't doubt your friends advice but when it comes to photographic theory, the best people to get advice about your work is from actual photographers or teachers of photography. A lot of people will appreciate photography for mostly the aesthetic only.

I can show my friends and they wouldn't go into detail as much as my fellow photography friends or my lecturers.

If you have those kind of people around. But if your average joe can see flaws in your photos, imagine what the actual photogs and teachers will say. They would have a field day on a single photo.

polar-blair

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2008
only 220 photos over two years! I have 4600 photos for 2 years, and I have only really started to enjoy photography for the last 6 months. What has really helped me is a book my late uncle had, its called how to take a photo of absolutely everything. It is aimed at someone like you who likes taking pictures but may need some help and inspiration, I helped me with all the basic jargon and let me see everything differently, Im now going around and kicking myself I left my camera at home, there are some many opportunities to take photos, just go out and take them. I dont know if the photos you have been compressed when they were uploaded, but it looks like you need a better camera! Im no Pro Im only 18 but I would say go for something with a better sensor and lower mega pixel, 6.0 or there about's is plenty. But like what has been said, keep on asking for peoples opinions (generally people who know what there talking about) and you should improve faster than you would think.

telf22

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2007
People say take bazillions of photos, but do remember to think about them.

Of course, I just mean that he should take advantage of digital photography and that he shouldnt feel restricted to taking just a single shot of an amazing subject.

zblaxberg

Jan 22, 2007
You really need a dslr or at least borrow someones. Also putting photos in a slideshow and putting music along with it isn't anything special. Also you might wanna learn some photoshop/ post production type stuff.
n1223310406_30190908_7083.jpg

n1223310406_30191116_4259.jpg

dawnraid

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2007
I reckon there alright, but maybe you could work a bit on the composistion/subjects (the light coming through the door is cool.) or play around with the pictures in photoshop to make the colours or lighting a bit more interesting.:)
Tell me what you think of mine. (flickr link below, im 17 too btw)!!!

pinktank

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
sosmeone had a comment about a dslr, you really do not need one, it is not the camera that will make the pictures, you are fine as long as you have something that captures images, try to think and look at the world through the viewfinder, obviously it will be different in film school but it will help

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Just my non-pro opinion ...

Of the 2nd batch, I like #2 and #5 the most. I don't know why, but I seem to be in a "background blur" phase and if anything, I think #2 and #5 could use some more background blur.

Especially #5 as I think it would give a different "feeling" if the house was blurred so that it would "feel" further away. Give it a somewhat hopeless feeling to it.

As for #2, I think the street and sidewalk in the background distracts from the picture. If it were blurred, it would give it a more natural, undisturbed look to the photo. (Edit - I would probably crop out the driveway in the bottom of the photo as well, or compose the shot so the driveway was not in the frame)

Personally, I think the composition is there and the photos themselves are interesting. I'd just like to see a little more blur.

ft

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
still not anything special. get out of our yard!!!!!!!!! and i mean that in the nicest possibly way. being young, im only 16 BTW, i know its tought to get out but it help soo much. because as ive learned not many good photos can be obtained from my yard.

That's not true. Great photos can come from your yard. If you don't think so, here are some exercises to work with in your yard...

Photograph the alphabet. Stay on your property and find elements that create letters. You'll have to look at every object differently and focus on compositional angles in order to obtain each letter.

Photograph circles, squares, and triangles.

Photograph the colors red, blue, yellow, and green.

Photograph circles and blue at the same time. Mix it up for all shapes and colors.

After you do this in your front yard, see if you still think nothing good comes from your front yard. These are techniques taught by Vincent Versace, who trains Navy photographers on aircraft carriers.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
Stuff looks good... I think if you looking to go into film school, you wouldn't really have to worry about what you shooting now, just make sure you have the ambition to learn and you will get good in time and practice.

I started at about your age I'm 22 now, heres my site...

http://www.pbase.com/kjs862

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.