Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Three141

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2016
London
I like this pick a lot. Definitely an underrated villain. That thing was truly terrifying.

I'm guessing Vader will be a popular choice here, but IMHO, Vader can't be on a list that Sidious (Palpatine) is not.

Agreed, even at the end when it is squealing you just die!

I mentioned Vader as when I think of Starwars I think Vader, plus he slaughtered all those young Jedi's. The first reply mentioned Palpatine and I thought 'oh yeah'.
[doublepost=1485853885][/doublepost]
i think T-1000 worked so great because he combined the intial idea of the terminator ( having a physically not very imposing android as a killer, kinda like an "everyman".. untill replaced by arnold ;)) and the very old human fear of human shapeshifters

The shape shifting was executed perfectly, "you're parents are dead".

Darth Vader: ironically most of his bad deeds in the original trilogy are usually just allueded to. He seems to get around his imperial business usually just parading around with his imposing stature and on his reputation and his position of being "the imperators right hand man"
What evil feats does he actually _do_ on screen episode 4-6 ? Chokes one guy doubting the force, interrogating the princess, bribing lando calrissian, "kills" obi-wan, cuts off lukes hand, shoots down a few rebel fighters, hires bounty hunters
Take away Vaders fantastic character design and james earls voice and he wouldn't be that menacing. He is one of the best "on-screen presence" villains simply by those two points and the twist of empire strikes back.

After all it's Moff Tarkin who gives the command to destroy the planet.

Ouch!
You're right he had great presence; I think for the time period especially he was a villain like no other; we later learned he killed all the young Jedi's and was the result of his children's mothers death; of course all this is almost undone with his good deed of saving Luke lol

This thread may taint my view of Vader.

Number-Six

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2013
How can I pick only 3, there are way too many villainous characters to choose from :D

Off the top of my head:

Palpatine
Darth Vader
Norman Stansfield
Walter White
John Doe (Seven)
etc.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
If we were including real life, I'd top my list with Richard Kuklinski. But we're not. So here goes:

1. Patrick Bateman (American Psycho) - the personification of "zero f***s given."
2. Dolores Umbridge (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix) - for being so very unlikeable. Much worse in the books than in the films.
3. Sauron (Lord of the Rings trilogy) - he bided his time for thousands of years. Nobody does that.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
If we were including real life, I'd top my list with Richard Kuklinski. But we're not. So here goes:

1. Patrick Bateman (American Psycho) - the personification of "zero f***s given."
2. Dolores Umbridge (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix) - for being so very unlikeable. Much worse in the books than in the films.
3. Sauron (Lord of the Rings trilogy) - he bided his time for thousands of years. Nobody does that.

A more interesting list than some of the others.

Re Darth Vadar: Were it not for that - almost Oedipal - plot twist, or revelation, at the end of the second movie (of the original trilogy) - seriously - would Darth Vadar even rank as one of the worst, and most chilling, villains, ever?

I think @Tomorrow has offered some interesting contenders: Dolores Umbridge is exactly what I had in mind when I mentioned Hannah Arendt's wonderful expression of "the banality of evil", the pen pushers who are people with family photographs (has Darth Vadar family photographs, or holograms? No, didn't think so), or twee and sickeningly sentimental pictures of kittens who think - or persuade themselves - that they are doing good, but are possessed of a twisted morality.

Sauron is also an interesting example, as is Saruman, who sold his soul for power.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
What about Harry Lime?

Now, there was a villain.

Compelling, charismatic, classy, cold-blooded, utterly unprincipled, suave, urbane, sophisticated, murderous, quite amoral, articulate, disloyal, duplicitous, cynical, and fiercely intelligent.

A man with a black hole at his moral core.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I don't know about greatest of all time, but some of my favorites that haven't already been mentioned would include...

Negan - The Walking Dead
Boyd Crowder - Justified
Dracula - Take your pick
Max Cady - Cape Fear
Annie Wilkes - Misery

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Michael Corleone. How ruthless was he is the second movie?

Gus Fring. Also incredibly ruthless. The scene where he was in the elevator after being interviewed by the DEA, he was repeatedly touching his thumb to his forefinger as a way to calm himself down discreetly. Chilling character.

Liquid Ocelot from Metal Gear Solid. Well, it is my favourite game franchise.

Reactions: ZapNZs

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Cruella De Vil
Voldemort
Aro from twilight saga

Michael Corleone. How ruthless was he is the second movie?

Gus Fring. Also incredibly ruthless. The scene where he was in the elevator after being interviewed by the DEA, he was repeatedly touching his thumb to his forefinger as a way to calm himself down discreetly. Chilling character.

Liquid Ocelot from Metal Gear Solid. Well, it is my favourite game franchise.

Yes. Lord Voldemort and Michael Corleone are very good choices, agreed.

As Cruella de Vil makes an appearance here (and Glenn Close was brilliant) I might also mention the Wicked Witch of the West in The Wizard of Oz - (a superb performance by Margaret Hamilton), and the Child Catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (a character created by Roald Dahl, and given sinister life in a stunning performance by Robert Helpmann).

Last edited:
Reactions: Math889 and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

As Cruella de Vil makes an appearance here (and Glenn Close was brilliant) I might also mention the Wicked Witch of the West in The Wizard of Oz - (a superb performance by Margaret Hamilton), and the Child Catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (a character created by Roald Dahl, and given sinister life in a stunning performance by Robert Helpmann).

Ohhh, what a world, what a world! Who would have thought that some little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I dunno about the top 3 villains, but I can give ya my top 1 villain..Darth Vader.. seems everyone likes Star Wars.

Math889

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2016

One great villain that I love is Bellatrix Lestrange from Harry Potter!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
One great villain that I love is Bellatrix Lestrange from Harry Potter!

Agreed, she is brilliant, - arrogant, talented, vicious, nasty, sadistic, - J K Rowling described her as Lord Voldemort's "last, best lieutenant" - and is something of a serious cut above all of the other Death Eaters, in terms of ability, social class, and what she is prepared to do for the cause.

Reactions: Math889

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
This smarmy badass:
WdPrtgy.jpg

Rosenbaum:
pu0XWlx.jpg

This one creeped the bejesus out of me when I was little:
6VAbVU2.jpg

You will receive 50k Awesome Melrose points for you if you can name him.

So far not mentioned: Sheriff from Nottingham played by Alan Rickman. The movie was panned for Kevin Costners accent performance but since i grew up on the dubbed version without that problem Rickman's performance was an absolute classic. Pure evil.

That's the first villain I thought of! :D

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

Good choice, though I totally disagree with the footnote (the personification of "zero f***s given.) If anything Patrick Bateman gives too many ****'s. He's shallow, but acutely focused on every tiny detail of his existence - he's so driven to succeed, to be seen as better, to have the best *business card* he actually murders people.
[doublepost=1487107619][/doublepost]
This one creeped the bejesus out of me when I was little:
6VAbVU2.jpg

You will receive 50 Awesome Melrose points for you if you can name him.

That's the first villain I thought of! :D

I can certify this was not done with the assistance of the internet :D Jonathan Pryce's depiction of Mr. Dark (G.M. Dark from the novel) is fantastic, and the character is a favorite of mine.

Reactions: Melrose
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.