Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeLaNo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
They’ve been fixed it in recent update. At least it’s not happen for me anymore after update.

KGB7

Suspended
Jun 15, 2017
Rockville, MD
The app still stutters when you move the video to bottom right corner, on iPhone and iPad.
Haven’t checked the battery life yet.

joesegh

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Same issue on my iPhone 8 with 11.1. I was Chromecasting (which should barely use the app on your phone once you've created your queue), and my battery went from 94% down to 75% over the course of about 50 minutes or so, and the device got really hot.

Last edited:

Sharkoneau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2017
Michigan
At this point I've pretty much accepted that battery drain in the YouTube app is going to be relatively awful, regardless of what they do with it. I know that if I consume a large amount of video, my overall battery life will markedly decline.

xtcvvv

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2015
I also get battery drain when casting to my TV, even after updating YT to 12.43. I was wondering why my battery life dropped 2.5 hours below normal these past few days.

7 Plus on 10.3.3

daffie

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2010
Holland
After the latest update my iphone doesn't heat up any more when playback youtube vids. Battery usage is 6% per 15 minutes (1080p / 1440p). I guess that's about normal?

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
I noticed that every time I watch videos in YouTube apps my iPhone SE feels very warm like when your CPU is running at 100 %.
How can I fix this ?

It's always taking everyone's battery... I don't know why... I've reported a number of times... it heats up the phone, takes a toll on the battery.., they never fix it...

Reactions: PeLaNo

dylin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
Any news on if YouTube is still heating up phones? Mine would get very hot to the touch while streaming to chrome cast so I ended up deleting it.

PeLaNo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
Any news on if YouTube is still heating up phones? Mine would get very hot to the touch while streaming to chrome cast so I ended up deleting it.
After update I think they fixed it but actually they don’t,it’s still heat up and drain battery.

dylin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
After update I think they fixed it but actually they don’t,it’s still heat up and drain battery.

:/ a bit sad to hear. Although that one reddit thread explaining the reason makes me think that it will be a good while before the issue is resolved. It looks more like a google using a new type of encoder that Apple has decided not to adopt yet.

lWWE2qs.jpg

Not sure how all that works, but i guess that means we just have to wait.

SoYoung

macrumors 65832
Jul 3, 2015
I just avoid watching youtube videos on my phone now to preserve battery life. I just use my computer or iPad for this and wait for a fix.

Since I do this, my battery is good again so it's clearly a youtube problem.

Reactions: KGB7 and PeLaNo

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
:/ a bit sad to hear. Although that one reddit thread explaining the reason makes me think that it will be a good while before the issue is resolved. It looks more like a google using a new type of encoder that Apple has decided not to adopt yet.

lWWE2qs.jpg

Not sure how all that works, but i guess that means we just have to wait.

Yes, I saw that too and it’s plausible. Further, if battery/CPU usage is dependent on the codec used, then that, in theory, could change from video to video and be influenced by choices applied server-side. In which case the app version might be irrelevant.

Is there any way of establishing for any particular viewed video which codec is being used? I know there is a way to do this in desktop Safari, but in the iOS app?

Thanks.

PeLaNo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
I just avoid watching youtube videos on my phone now to preserve battery life. I just use my computer or iPad for this and wait for a fix.

Since I do this, my battery is good again so it's clearly a youtube problem.
Me too,but that sad
[doublepost=1510219141][/doublepost]
Yes, I saw that too and it’s plausible. Further, if battery/CPU usage is dependent on the codec used, then that, in theory, could change from video to video and be influenced by choices applied server-side. In which case the app version might be irrelevant.

Is there any way of establishing for any particular viewed video which codec is being used? I know there is a way to do this in desktop Safari, but in the iOS app?

Thanks.
VP9 is codec that invented by Google so it’s normal for them to do that but at least in iOS app they should use H.265 that Apple fully support right ?

rjruiz2

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2014
YouTube has a major problem right now. Even after just literally 5 minutes of viewing my iPhone 8 Plus got super hot and the brightness dimmed and couldn't adjust it at all... At least for a few minutes until it cooled off.

daffie

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2010
Holland
Yup...it's screwed again (after last youtube update all seemed fine). Watching a full HD or 4K clip for 20 minutes eats away 10% battery! Phone gets far too hot as well

tkwlee

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2010
Will you try uninstall and reinstall the YouTube app? I did it and seems the overheat problem disappear at this moment.

KGB7

Suspended
Jun 15, 2017
Rockville, MD
An alternative is to use Safari to browse YouTube.

After latest YouTube update, safari randomly crashes if I try to watch YouTube videos in safari.
For now I’m sticking with my iPad that I keep plugged in to a charger if I want to watch YouTube videos on the YouTube app.

dylin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
I’ve removed the Youtube app for now. I’ve also tried the Youtube site in Safari and for some reason some links in it are not working.

I think I’ll just avoid Youtube wherever possible.

daffie

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2010
Holland
Last edited:

macfacts

macrumors 603
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
I’ve removed the Youtube app for now. I’ve also tried the Youtube site in Safari and for some reason some links in it are not working.

I think I’ll just avoid Youtube wherever possible.

Safari can't play vp9 videos. Safari can only play mpeg-4 videos.
[doublepost=1510323933][/doublepost]
Darn...that's not good news.

Btw so 1080p should not have this issue?

Under 1080x. That does not include 1080x. So basically no HD videos. Lower resolution videos are still in MPEG-4.

throwthedice

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2015
I'm on iOS 10.3.3 on my 6s+ and YouTube is killing the battery. Was between 40-50% and 15 mins later, it went down to 2% and I think this started with the recent app update.

Guess I'll have to wait for the app to be updated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.