Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjalex

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Rome, Italy
I am having an hard time with a Zike Z666 enclosure and been through troubleshooting with both Apple and Zike support.

I have it with a WB Black SN850X 2TB SSD and when it works it's a charm, faster than my Mini's internal SSD. Problem is that it disconnects from times to times. Apple made me reinstall Sonoma. smartctl shows me the temps are normal. Tried a second new 40Gbps/240W cable. Problem does not go away.

I would be grateful if anyone with this enclosure could reply to these questions:
  • What NVMe SSD have you got inside it?
  • Is the drive inside secured by a screw or by a soft plastic thingy?
  • Do you feel the cable connection is firm?
  • Does it report SMART statistics? If so do you know the temp of your drive?
  • Which cable are you using?
  • To which port is it connected to your Mac
  • What type of Mac are you using with it?
    • Specifically Apple Silicon or Intel?
    • Which MacOS release?
  • Do you sometimes have unwanted disconnects?
    • If so does it happen more often after a sleep or a shutdown?

pransu

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2023
I have 2 NVMe SSD connected directly (NO Hubs) to TB4 ports on the back of MS Max M2 using TB4 cable by Satechi and OWC.
It seems both cable connection is firm.
I am using Sonoma 14.2.1.
I never had any disconnect on both of them so far. My MS always stays on though, only the external display turns off when idle after certain time.

Samsung 990 Pro 1 TB on Satechi NVMe enclosure - ASM
  • ASM2464PD chipset - R/W around 3,000 Mbps
  • secured using soft plastic piece
  • heatsink pad that comes with it
  • Idle temp 45 degree C
Crucial P3 Plus 1 TB on OWC 1M2 enclosure
  • ASM2464PD chipset - R/W a little bit less than 3,000 Mbps
  • secured using screw
  • heatsink pad that also comes with it
  • Idle temp 35 degree C
Hope this helps. Good luck on your troubleshooting. IMO, try to get different enclosure, like from OWC. I almost bought Zike before decided to get OWC instead.

Reactions: rjalex

rjalex

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Rome, Italy
Thank you. Must say Zike's customer service is proving to be very good. After attempting various measures they will just send me a new unit. Let's hope the one I have now only had a defect and that the new one will work well, since when it works as expected it is both very fast and cool.

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2021
Hmmm... a few data points to add here:

1) When I was testing the Zike enclosure with a 4TB SN850X enclosure, I did have a spontaneous ejection. I chalked it up to heat, from the "torture test" I was performing. That 4TB drive ended up in a different enclosure, with the Zike being used to house a 2TB Sabrent Rocket that's about 2 years old, and worked fine in the Zike for about 3 weeks, until...

2) Several days ago, the Sabrent suddenly ejected. It was just idle at the time, and there was nothing else that could have prompted the ejection (computer wasn't being put to sleep, etc.)... I was just sitting there and suddenly it was gone. I was able to get it to come back up by unplugging/plugging, but a short time later, it ejected again. Then it was gone for good... it would not remount no matter what (even tried restarting, using a different cable, a different port, etc.). Put the Sabrent in a spare enclosure, and it still would not mount. IOW, the SSD itself was no longer functional. Did the Zike fry the SSD? I wouldn't feel comfortable accusing it of that given that there's another equally plausible possibility (that the SSD simply failed), but...

3) The SSD that I bought to replace the Sabrent (a WD SN770) has been fine for a few days, but then suddenly this morning, it too ejected for no reason. It remounted after plug-cycling, and has remained (at least for the past 30 minutes or so).

Rusted Eyes

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2023
I was going through this disconnecting crap on Ventura for some weeks with various external drives. Since I found out about Jettison (by researching troubleshooting my issue) I've had no disconnect issues. Absolutely no association or relationship with the app; just want to pass along what's worked for me and my M2 mini.

rjalex

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Rome, Italy
Hello guys, thank you all for your precious feedback. Zike as promised sent me a second enclosure and I've been using it for 24 hours now with sleeps and shutdowns and cross fingers so far it's working without a glitch (with the same SSD NVmE drive).

sato.rt

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2024
Hey! it has been a few months since you posted this. i was wondering if everything ended up being alright, because i’m having the exact same problem with my z6666 enclosure

rjalex

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Rome, Italy
Hi there,
they have exchanged the unit at their cost and it works perfectly now! Good luck.

chars1ub0w

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2017
Here, there and over there
My Zike with Lexan 4TB stays hot despite me taking the plastic off. But it has been totally reliable for about 6 months now. I need storage I can rely on. Downtime would be unacceptable. If it had disconnects, I’d discard it. So I’m glad you got a reliable replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.