Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jgbr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
These are apparently native AS programs which only worries matters further. Poor optimisation. I wonder what would happen if you unplugged the monitors.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
These are apparently native AS programs which only worries matters further. Poor optimisation. I wonder what would happen if you unplugged the monitors.

I found less RAM used over time without the external monitors and so I changed my work process and environment. I hope that they resolve these problems soon. macOS is usually stable by the summer.

jgbr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
If plugging in monitors had this effect than it’s a serious problem. You shouldn’t have to do that.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
If plugging in monitors had this effect than it’s a serious problem. You shouldn’t have to do that.

I had to reboot this morning for the network bug. Logging out and logging back in didn't fix it. So the memory leaks are on the back burner for now.

Regarding Mail using a ton of RAM, I haven't seen that but I clean out my email at the end of every year just keeping a year's worth of email and then moving older stuff to archived local storage. That cuts down my iCloud storage and it cuts down on RAM usage. Obviously not your issue given how much RAM it's using but something that may help your system run smoother overall.

TriciaMacMillan

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2021
Today, I noticed that Mail had hogged over 8 GB of RAM. I quit and restarted it, now after 6 hours, it’s still at just 470 MB, which appears way more reasonable to me.

With memory usage increasing slowly but inevitably, after only a bit more than 24 hours, Mail is now at 4.7 GB and still rising. :-(

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
With memory usage increasing slowly but inevitably, after only a bit more than 24 hours, Mail is now at 4.7 GB and still rising. :-(

I'd suggest running a different mail client to see if that works better. I prefer Apple Mail myself and haven't seen this so it could be one of your email servers resulting in memory growth.

jgbr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Interesting I left a machine idling and some applications open and it grew throughout the day without touching the machine once....

TriciaMacMillan

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2021
I'd suggest running a different mail client to see if that works better. I prefer Apple Mail myself and haven't seen this so it could be one of your email servers resulting in memory growth.

Hm. I don’t understand how the mail server could possibly influence the Mail client’s memory usage?

jgbr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
I had safari consume 10GB of memory today with 10 tabs open and nothing extensive on any of those pages....

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I had safari consume 10GB of memory today with 10 tabs open and nothing extensive on any of those pages....

I've never seen a browser use that much RAM. I remember back in 2001-2002 when browsers used 30-50 MB of RAM. A lot of that today is the web pages themselves but 10 GB doing almost nothing is some kind of bug.

jgbr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
I'm just flabbergasted that something like a forum webpage can use 300-400mb of Ram...

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I upgraded to 12.2.1 last week and the RAM issues seem to be resolved. I'm at about 16 GB of RAM running a ton of office stuff. Before it was running up to 28 GB of RAM The network problem seems to be gone as I haven't had to reboot it since updating. I've not tried hooking it up to external monitors and I don't plan to anytime soon as I've partitioned my use to desktop and laptop and they stay separate.

Reactions: Leon1das

jgbr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
I think it’s centralised around web browsers, electron nonsense and non native apps in my assessment. I saw a blender edit consuming less than half of a web browser with barely any tabs open.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I think it’s centralised around web browsers, electron nonsense and non native apps in my assessment. I saw a blender edit consuming less than half of a web browser with barely any tabs open.

Browsers use a ton of RAM but I'm on Firefox, and it's a good test against Chromium-based browsers (basically everything else). If you suspect a browser issue, you can always switch to another browser.

I do think that the problem is multifaceted and includes (or included) Monterey. I did not see these kinds of problems on Big Sur so I'm not going to blame Apple Silicon for the problem. I think that the memory leak issues may have to be addressed by the software providers going forward as Monterey feels really good to me right now. I understand that others may still have issues with Monterey (like maybe external monitors are still a problem). But Apple is chipping away at it.

jgbr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Yes it goes appear that it’s the same old story of hardware miles ahead of software and often poorly coded or optimised software at that. The only way ahead is for apple silicon is up as the software and support matures.

After all they’ll have to get on top of it when intel support is killed off, which considering the adoption of ARM I wouldn’t put it too far off.

I know people who because of the memory issue refuse to install non native apps.

Communities have already sprung up around intel and bootcamp.

I do hope we are right and these are just early teething issues.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Yes it goes appear that it’s the same old story of hardware miles ahead of software and often poorly coded or optimised software at that. The only way ahead is for apple silicon is up as the software and support matures.

After all they’ll have to get on top of it when intel support is killed off, which considering the adoption of ARM I wouldn’t put it too far off.

I know people who because of the memory issue refuse to install non native apps.

Communities have already sprung up around intel and bootcamp.

I do hope we are right and these are just early teething issues.

It's possible that some users were waiting for Pro models with more RAM before moving to Apple Silicon and that the greater use bigger pro tools is shining a light on these issues. I am able to run all of my things on Apple Silicon now though one major program is Intel running via WINE and it is suboptimal. I am running it on an Intel iMac for now on the desktop but I can run it on my M1 Pro when traveling.

jgbr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Did you say non-Chrome based browsers also performing better on memory performance?

So that's Edge, chrome etc out the window at least?

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Did you say non-Chrome based browsers also performing better on memory performance?

So that's Edge, chrome etc out the window at least?

I indicated that I'm not seeing RAM problems using Firefox. I think that Firefox is the only major non-Chromium browser around now. Chromium is the underlying software most browsers, including Chrome, Brave, Edge, Safari, are based on. I have had memory leak problems on some Chromium-based browsers and not on others. I think that Edge was the best that I saw, perhaps because it has so much exposure being the default on Windows.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Isn’t Safari based on WebKit which is another engine than Chromium?

Sorry. You are correct. I mixed them up as Chromium is based on Webkit, as is Safari. So there are differences between Safari and Chromium.

I prefer the old days when we had about five different engines. If one was broken, it would be easy to just grab another browser to work around the problem until it was fixed.

Maobin

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2021
Big Sur on the M1 mini and Big Sur on the Intel Mac are stable on RAM and I ran a heavier workload on the mini and the Intel Mac.
On which version of Big Sur were your M1 mini and Intel iMac running ?

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
Been using 12.3 since upgrading last night and RAM usage looks the same to me

1647427665111.png

Please note my Window Server is high because I'm hooked up to dual 4.2K Huawei Mateview monitors. Using a MBP14"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.