Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jgbr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
I am starting to wonder if it only effects people who had 12.X installed from base when they bought a new machine. I am curious if a complete system wipe and reinstall with 12.3 (or presumably later) makes a difference.

skviki

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2008
I am starting to wonder if it only effects people who had 12.X installed from base when they bought a new machine. I am curious if a complete system wipe and reinstall with 12.3 (or presumably later) makes a difference.
I thought so at first after reinstalling when no "windowserver process could be spotted at the top of memory users list. But this morning I found it hogging a hefty 1,3 GB first place on the list. A couple of weeks after wiping the ssd clean and reinstalling everything from scratch with the newest OS version.

jgbr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
I thought so at first after reinstalling when no "windowserver process could be spotted at the top of memory users list. But this morning I found it hogging a hefty 1,3 GB first place on the list. A couple of weeks after wiping the ssd clean and reinstalling everything from scratch with the newest OS version.

I think there is a combination of things going on here not least that VRAM is chewing memory for obvious Unifed memory reasons. I still suspect 16GB fine for most users but with the new OS and Apple Silicon I think for a real workload 32GB will be a minimum in the coming years or atleast a transition to it. I’m not convinced the current OS is optimised well enough. It maybe that with intel still in the picture a lot of nonsense is hanging around and poorly optimised. Till the transition is forced/complete we will not so gains in true software/hardware optimisation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.