Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
@robgreene

Your post is appreciated and just fine

Whether loving it, keeping it, returning it, not buying it, skeptical, excited, etc -- it's all valid.
This is what a discussion forum is about

Posts need not simply be "I love Apple and product x,y,z!"
That would be a boring and pointless forum

Last edited:

robgreene

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
As a visual artist I rely on my Macs to help me create and fine tune my artwork.

Right now a combo of Macs, High quality displays and a pen tablet / Pen Display is just perfect and has served me well the past 30+ years.
I have so much finger muscle memory (is that a thing? 🙂) for shortcuts and customisation developed in different software apps that I rarely need to look at menus or the keyboard.
I haven't seen anything yet that would suggest to me this device will improve your workflow in day to day usage, unless you travel a lot and could use a more robust workstation.

I WAS surprised, though, to see that even tools like markup are already fully functional (albeit a bit more cumbersome to use) on the AVP. If you've already been perfecting your craft one particular way for 30+ years, I would imagine the necessary tools to make this a useful addition for you may not come during your career. It may take a generation growing up on these devices (much in the way a previous generation grew up on computers, and the current generation grew up on touchscreen devices) for it to really reach it's highest potential.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
Great question @DMG35! 2 answers come to mind:

(1) The point is that I don't know if it's being returned, so I'm inviting people in to see the thoughtful process going in to the decision.
(2) The point to provide a non-polarizing analysis from a real-world user.

This is a brand new device with a TON of possibilities to explore and evaluation points to consider. If you don't care for thoughtful and thorough analysis, it will not hurt my feelings in the least if you choose not to read.
I read it and it was fine. You just gave the same information that most people have given on it and then said you are leaning towards returning it. Great, you see tons of possibilities and wonder with the device but are ultimately probably going to take it back because it's too expensive.

• Haha
Reactions: cardfan

MrPresident

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
Manchester
Great question @DMG35! 2 answers come to mind:

(1) The point is that I don't know if it's being returned, so I'm inviting people in to see the thoughtful process going in to the decision.
(2) The point to provide a non-polarizing analysis from a real-world user.

This is a brand new device with a TON of possibilities to explore and evaluation points to consider. If you don't care for thoughtful and thorough analysis, it will not hurt my feelings in the least if you choose not to read.

That was a very eloquent way of putting it. I am enjoying your review of the device, keep it coming.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
To force quit an application, press and hold the two buttons on the top, the digitalCrown and the other button.
A macOS like dialogue box should appear.

Reactions: 4sallypat

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
If it makes you feel any better, I bought a macbook air yesterday and have a tinge of buyer's regret/FOMO of "this feels so old fashioned compared to those AVP review videos" lol.

Not that I want to have a headset strapped to my head several hours a day though.. that part sounds not fun.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I’m leaning towards returning mine. There are some things that are really great, but I don’t love the glare, pass-through, text not being super sharp and movies looking slightly too soft and pixelated at times. It feels like such an isolating item as well.

Also, I am quickly realizing I do not like to wear something heavy on my head for extended periods of time.

Last edited:

coreytime

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
I've had mine for a day. There are definitely some amazing things about it. I love the immersive videos. The 4k video looks great.... I hate way you have to type...

All that being said, it's heavy and is not comfortable for extended periods of time. I will definitely be returning mine.

Cape Dave

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
"Oldest had to have been in his 70’s. I asked him what he thought. His response? “I loved it… just trying to figure out if I’ll need my own wifi to Support it, because the internet is not very good in our assisted living home.” WHAT A BOSS." LOL, my 96 year old dad was among the first to order this. And had been working on an app for it over the previous weeks. There are apple fanboys here for sure. But NONE of them can top my dad. He buys whatever apple makes on day one. Ask him about his 20K Intel Mac Pro :) Ouch!

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I'm noticing quite a percentage of folks already interested in returning their AVP, and we aren't even through launch weekend!

Not sure this shouldn't have simply been only a Dev kit release

Trying to get any amount of general market penetration, including all the work on packaging, set up at stores, custom lenses, etc -- really seems to have been foolhardy at this stage for this particular product.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
There are apple fanboys here for sure. But NONE of them can top my dad. He buys whatever apple makes on day one. Ask him about his 20K Intel Mac Pro :) Ouch!
Sometimes I think that would be fun to do lol. Not the $20k mac pro, but always buying iphones on launch day and getting an AVP?

On the other hand, so much money o_O lol :D

• Love
Reactions: Cape Dave

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
Appreciate very much on your posts which do help all readers on the forum. Taking time to analyze if a product is truly needed on daily life to justify the cost is indeed a wise and an admirable action. It is also our human nature to act impulsively on any excitements including new product of a company that we love which sometimes causing a regret afterwards. I am guilty of this 😉😊 as a human being.
If I were a frequent traveler and did not have home theater, I would have get AVP for these only. I know I would not be comfortable to wear AVP for a long period of time for work. I avoid using any headsets used for answering calls or other tasks at works. AVP is a headset computing devices after all. So, it is definitely not for me.
However, others might have opposite preferences from me.

Purchasing something especially for expensive one is like dating before marriage or long term commitment, it takes a great analysis to do to ensure a long term commitment can be made without regretting afterwards.

So, this thread is great.

Keep calm, analyze any decisions before making a long term commitment so no regrets - take time if needed and be happy on the decision and commitment made.😊 Life is too short to be full of regrets, unwise decisions and unhappiness😊

Cape Dave

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
Sometimes I think that would be fun to do lol. Not the $20k mac pro, but always buying iphones on launch day and getting an AVP?

On the other hand, so much money o_O lol :D
LOL, he is currently not happy with the Pro because he likes Apple's new chips! He loves Apple and hates every other company. I have not heard from him since he got the AVP. His eyes are not great and I suspect he might be having vision issues. Hope not, because he is like a kid on Christmas with this stuff. But he would never ever admit this and return it. Photo is when he was a bit younger :)

Attachments

• BB  NAVDAC Computer 1958.jpg
    BB NAVDAC Computer 1958.jpg
    438.3 KB · Views: 66

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
• Don't even bother walking around with this thing on. Every step shakes the screen. You feel like you're walking through an earthquake, visually.

First off, thanks for all the detail, it’s a fun read and I am sure I’ll several comments, but I’m going to lead with it’s interesting to me reading yours and other actual owners how individual our experience are. I wore mine for 5 hours straight yesterday with the solo loop and no discomfort. I did try the 2 loop band today and didn’t notice a difference except it was harder for me to take on or off. Logged 6 hours today. I keep it fairly tight and had no problem roaming the house including up and downstairs. No shaking screen. But perhaps I move slower lol.

I find myself wanting a "home" gesture SO BADLY. As natural as the "pinch to select" gesture works with eye tracking, I find it equally UNnatural to have to reach up and push the crown to bring up home… especially when you bring up home a LOT on this thing.

Home button? Do you mean back to the app selection view? Agreed one step is ideal, but there is a simple two step, look up to the utilities arrow, click, the select the icon on the left that’s a representation of the Home Screen.

Can you comment more on your photography work flow and the AVP? I typically use Lightroom and haven’t experimented much with photo editing. Viewing, yes, and agree it’s phenomenal for that.

robgreene

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008

DAY 3

Low-key day with the Vision Pro today, testing it out for about 2-3 hours in its more casual uses: media, gaming, messaging. Also tested it out while propped up in bed. Here’s the results:

GAMES:
It’s worth pointing out I’m not much of a casual gamer. The stuff I really enjoy is either sports (FIFA, 2K, etc) or Nintendo stuff (Zelda, Mario). Still, I figured if I’m gonna try out this Vision Pro fully, I gotta try out the gaming, since that’s a key feature Apple’s been touting. The reviews below are not necessarily a rating of the game's themselves (although I did take in to consideration if I enjoyed playing them), but more on how well they made use of the Vision Pro and Vision OS.

GAME ROOM (⭐️⚪️⚪️⚪️⚪️): This was the first app I tried, because it seemed like it’d be the least demanding. Maybe it had to do with me sitting propped up in bed, but I was shocked that Apple even promoted this. The board was tilted at a difficult angle, and the responsiveness of the cards was so spotty to gestures (even after sitting up fully as recommended) that I didn’t even finish a single game of solitaire. Will try it again seated at a table or on the plane tomorrow and update my rating as needed.​

SYNTH RIDERS (⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️): Next up I tried a rhythm based game, which I’m admittedly not a big fan of the genre as whole, but this one seemed to be EXTREMELY well done. Originally docked it a single star simply because I tried to avoid Game Center login and it can’t freezing up, but once I caved and signed in, it played great! It’s a visually stunning use of the VR/AR format, I felt like I got my heart rate up a bit by the end of the test round, and was pleasantly surprised to look at the floor next to my bed after playing and see 2 of the spheres from the game sitting on my floor, looking so lifelike I literally thought “how did those get there?” before realizing they were not, in fact, real. Update: Played this one again out of bed and the fitness component really came to life. I've been exercising 4-5 times a week, but found myself a little winded after one round. AND it was fun!​
JETPACK JOYRIDE (⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⚪️): Was not expecting this one to be placed as part of an immersive environment so that was fun. I also had not played this game since way back when the original came out, and found the updates to be very well done. I think this could serve as a great example of what 2D games can be in the Spatial Computing era. Update: went back and docked this game a ⭐️ after downloading and playing it on AppleTV, because it made me realize the pinch control was less responsive than touch device mechanisms.​
FRUIT NINJA (⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️): This game brought up a screen with a bunch of sample fruits that all had to be green in order to start. Because I was in bed, 2/3 of them showed up red. Tried again at night in my living room... WHOA. Not really a Fruit Ninja fan, but the implementation here is WILD. from your karate chops, to throwing stars, to power ups, to the creative use of the 3D space, this developer has really shown the potential of what 3D gaming could be on the platform, albeit in a silly, kid-friendly way.​
NBA 2K (N/A): This was tops on my list to try, especially because of the controller functionality, but I got a FaceTime call from a friend and my eyes were tired afterward.​

PROs:
• The Spatial Audio effect on FaceTime calls is mindblowing. When I pulled the window toward me and the other person suddenly got louder was a “wow” moment. Interestingly, when I moved them to the left or right, my head turned on THEIR screen, even though I kept my head facing forward. It seems like Apple is really setting the stage for a virtual conference calls, so that everyone sees exactly who everyone is looking at. Pretty wild.

• 3D movies look fantastic. Plain and simple.

• Looking up at the clouds in the white sands environment, I thought about all the bed-ridden people in the world who are locked up in rooms, never able to see the outdoors again… and how life-giving it would be to let them look up in an Apple Vision Pro and see clouds rolling or stars twinkling again.

CONs:
• The drop-off in pinch gesture reliability while laying down, even reclined at a 45 degree angle, was a letdown. I know this is largely based on camera placement, but I’m hopeful that there are some software improvements that could be made to assist with this.

• As things got darker outside, the screen began drifting randomly, then cutting to warning message that it couldn’t get a good read on the environment, and to turn the lights on. Even turning on my 2 night stands were not enough to fix this, despite being able to clearly see everything in the room. I’m curious to see if Travel Mode assists with this.

•My eyes were really dry by the end of today’s session. Like REALLY dry. It almost felt like the Vision Pro was pulling down on my eye lids a bit, ‘causing them to dry out. I will definitely be using tear drops on the plane tomorrow.

• This device is BEGGINING for a “with Cellular” option. Not sure if having a 5G antenna strapped to your head is wise from a health standpoint, but it sure would be nice to have the ability to use this thing anywhere without connecting to a Wifi network or hotspot.

• The "People" tab on the side of the home screen seems to be a list of "People I've Facetimed Recently." Why this exists instead of full-blown Contacts and Facetime apps (both of which appear to be curiously absent from the device) I have no idea.

FROM THE FORUM:
@G5isAlive thanks for the tip on the dual loop for walking stability. It’s on my radar to test it out at some point, but I’ve been so pleased with the solo band I haven’t gotten to it yet. And yes, I discovered the Home selection from Control Panel today. My Photo workflow yesterday was simply to mirror my laptop screen on the AVP and edit in Lightroom as I always do. I loved having the large screen to edit on while enjoying a beautiful day in Texas outside Starbucks. I edited some photos, sent a sneak peek to the client, then checked my phone afterward in a panic, not having thought about “what if the coloring is off?” But it was spot on my expectations.

OVERALL AND WHAT’S NEXT:
Today was not testing my personal main uses for the device, but what I experienced was fun. I’m definitely curious to see what the future holds for AR/VR/Spatial gaming. Tomorrow I’ll get back in to the real meat and potatoes of why I bought this thing: work and travel. I’ve got a 2-3 hour flight, and plan to do some photo editing and tv watching on the plane.

WILL I OR WON'T I RETURN IT?
Day 1: 75/25 returning
Day 2: 60/40 returning
Day 3: 65/35 returning

Last edited:

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
My eyes were really dry by the end of today’s session. Like REALLY dry. It almost felt like the Vision Pro was pulling down on my eye lids a bit, ‘causing them to dry out. I will definitely be using tear drops on the plane tomorrow.

That is quite a drawback, I have to say
It's almost concerning.

I personally would want no part - none - of long term usage with a device making my eyes feel that way.

This is my eyes we are talking about -- I don't want those mistreated like this.

Cape Dave

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
That is quite a drawback, I have to say
It's almost concerning.

I personally would want no part - none - of long term usage with a device making my eyes feel that way.

This is my eyes we are talking about -- I don't want those mistreated like this.
I believe that this is the bottom line. It is NOT GOOD for our eyes. End of story. Return. Show Apple we will not put up with eye abuse.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
•My eyes were really dry by the end of today’s session. Like REALLY dry. It almost felt like the Vision Pro was pulling down on my eye lids a bit, ‘causing them to dry out. I will definitely be using tear drops on the plane tomorrow.
On a plane, remember the air pressure is much less (equivalent to being at 8000 foot elevation) and humidity in the single digits (dry).

Your eyes will hurt a lot using this on a plane.

robgreene

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008

DAY 4

Took the Vision Pro on my flight today. HUGE success. Wound up watching Star Wars: Episode VII from Tattoine throughout the flight, while responding to text messages as needed. A few thoughts:

PROs:
• Travel Mode is NOT Airplane Mode... it REALLY helps the Vision Pro to stop freaking out on planes. The thing is virtually unusable without it in flight, but with it on, it's a fantastic experience!
• Zero discomfort using the device from taxi to landing.
• I didn't realize how much I'd been missing out on by not watching movies in 3D... it's really fun.
• I've seen several people rave about the stability of the windows. It's hard to underscore HOW CRITICAL this subtle feature is to the overall AVP experience. It makes everything feel so lifelike!
• Getting on Airplane Wifi was a breeze.
• I was able to plug the Vision Pro in to the airplane seat and maintain 100% battery throughout the flight.
• The stewardess appeared in frame when she came by to take drink orders, and did not seem even slightly taken aback by the Vision Pro on my face... maybe from so many people using a sleep mask over the years?
• Three people on the plane made commented on my AVP: (1) "Dude you got an AVP? That's bad@$$!" (2) "Ok WOW that's a game changer." and (3) How did you like using it on the flight? I go in for my demo later this week! Sentiment definitely seemed to be positive overall.
• I asked the woman sitting next to me (mid-to-late 30's) upon landing: "ok be real... how obnoxious was it sitting next to me while I used this thing on the entire flight?" She commented that it was not a bother at all, and the gestures I was using to navigate the interface were very small and non-intrusive.

CONs:
• Sometimes someone else's hand, or the seat in front of me, would interfere with window/environment visibility.
• The AVP will probably wind up taking up space in your carry-on, because it's too big to fit INSIDE a backpack as your personal item.
• Packing up the AVP after landing takes some time... and even more if you do in fact have to get your carry-on out of overhead storage to pack it back inside.

OVERALL AND WHAT’S NEXT:
Today's flight confirmed that one of my primary uses for the AVP was a big hit! I'm very pleased how well this device worked on the plane... it's both fun and functional! As for what's next? The purpose of my flight was to be with my parents while my Dad's in the hospital. Usage will be limited in the next few days, but will primarily consist of (1) letting my parents try out the Vision Pro to get their impressions and see how easily they adjust to the interface (they're big Apple people too, but both quite skeptical of AVP), and (2) possibly get some work done while Dad's sleeping. Not sure how much I'll be able to update since they'll be my main focus, but will be sure to report back from the flight home on Friday if nothing else.

Day 4: 55/45 returning

freeman727

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009

DAY 4

Took the Vision Pro on my flight today. HUGE success. Wound up watching Star Wars: Episode VII from Tattoine throughout the flight, while responding to text messages as needed. A few thoughts:

PROs:
• Travel Mode is NOT Airplane Mode... it REALLY helps the Vision Pro to stop freaking out on planes. The thing is virtually unusable without it in flight, but with it on, it's a fantastic experience!
• Zero discomfort using the device from taxi to landing.
• I didn't realize how much I'd been missing out on by not watching movies in 3D... it's really fun.
• I've seen several people rave about the stability of the windows. It's hard to underscore HOW CRITICAL this subtle feature is to the overall AVP experience. It makes everything feel so lifelike!
• Getting on Airplane Wifi was a breeze.
• I was able to plug the Vision Pro in to the airplane seat and maintain 100% battery throughout the flight.
• The stewardess appeared in frame when she came by to take drink orders, and did not seem even slightly taken aback by the Vision Pro on my face... maybe from so many people using a sleep mask over the years?
• Three people on the plane made commented on my AVP: (1) "Dude you got an AVP? That's bad@$$!" (2) "Ok WOW that's a game changer." and (3) How did you like using it on the flight? I go in for my demo later this week! Sentiment definitely seemed to be positive overall.
• I asked the woman sitting next to me (mid-to-late 30's) upon landing: "ok be real... how obnoxious was it sitting next to me while I used this thing on the entire flight?" She commented that it was not a bother at all, and the gestures I was using to navigate the interface were very small and non-intrusive.

CONs:
• Sometimes someone else's hand, or the seat in front of me, would interfere with window/environment visibility.
• The AVP will probably wind up taking up space in your carry-on, because it's too big to fit INSIDE a backpack as your personal item.
• Packing up the AVP after landing takes some time... and even more if you do in fact have to get your carry-on out of overhead storage to pack it back inside.

OVERALL AND WHAT’S NEXT:
Today's flight confirmed that one of my primary uses for the AVP was a big hit! I'm very pleased how well this device worked on the plane... it's both fun and functional! As for what's next? The purpose of my flight was to be with my parents while my Dad's in the hospital. Usage will be limited in the next few days, but will primarily consist of (1) letting my parents try out the Vision Pro to get their impressions and see how easily they adjust to the interface (they're big Apple people too, but both quite skeptical of AVP), and (2) possibly get some work done while Dad's sleeping. Not sure how much I'll be able to update since they'll be my main focus, but will be sure to report back from the flight home on Friday if nothing else.

Day 4: 55/45 returning
Did you download the movie from Disney+ or stream it? I wonder if apps like Disney+, Max and AppleTV allow contents to be downloaded. I have an AVP on order and they just charged my card (a good sign I hope?). Being able download beforehand will be awesome bc A) Not subject to slow airplane Wi-Fi B) Not have to pay fee for airplane Wi-Fi. It'll be cool if they bring those onboard airplane entertainment apps to the AVP.

Reactions: 4sallypat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.