Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
It's heavier and has more mass. Just using a cheaper CPU doesn't make it a good air replacement
It's the same weight as the 13" Air it is effectively replacing. I used to think a 14" MacBook was possible, but that changed when they released the 13" Pro without the Touch Bar using the 15W Air-class processor.

caelius

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2015
Innsbruck, Austria
So why is the iPad Mini always have inferior specs to the current flagship iPhone?

Sooo, you really don't understand/see the difference between comparing a Laptop with another Laptop (same category, obviously) and a Smartphone with a Tablet (two completely different categories)? Hmm...

I guess you'd also directly compare the iMac with the MacBooks then, since both are running MacOS?

A MacBook lover

Suspended
Original poster
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Sooo, you really don't understand/see the difference between comparing a Laptop with another Laptop (same category, obviously) and a Smartphone with a Tablet (two completely different categories)? Hmm...

I guess you'd also directly compare the iMac with the MacBooks then, since both are running MacOS?

It's the same device but bigger. They look nearly the same. The MacBook and MacBook Pro don't however and have completely different designs, good try though. I love how anti-14" people are on here. Time will prove someone wrong.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Nobody is anti anything, let alone 14" Macbook. I personally would buy one in a heart beat!
But I doubt it will happen. Only chance of it happening is the cancel of rMBP without touch bar.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Yeah... no one is anti-14 inch. I would probably buy one too. Id love to add 2 more inches and 4 more hours of battery to my MacBook Retina. It's just highly unlikely we'd ever see it given how Apple does things.

xPad

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2013
"Apple doesn't do X" is the dumbest line of reasoning imaginable. Apple constantly does things they've never done before.

As for laptop sizes, they had a 12" PowerBook and a 14" iBook.

They aren't afraid of some sort of confusion due to size. If people buy a MacBook instead of a MacBook Pro, that's still an Apple sale (not to mention the "confusion" is removed by the PRO in the name anyway).

And all the people clamoring for a 14" MacBook is evidence that they'd make sales.

You could just as easily say it's confusing to have a MacBook that costs more than a more powerful MacBook Pro! Yet here we are.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
False alarm. It'll be a MacBook Pro. Unless you want to believe that they'll keep Pro machines at 16GB of a RAM while releasing a consumer machine at 32GB of desktop class RAM. That would make absolutely no sense. The rumored 15 inch is most likely going to be a top end Pro costing around $3,000 or more.

Reactions: Jayderek

A MacBook lover

Suspended
Original poster
May 22, 2009
D.C.
False alarm. It'll be a MacBook Pro. Unless you want to believe that they'll keep Pro machines at 16GB of a RAM while releasing a consumer machine at 32GB of desktop class RAM. That would make absolutely no sense. The rumored 15 inch is most likely going to be a top end Pro costing around $3,000 or more.
Bigger MacBook is still coming

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
For a long time I expected a 14" MacBook but have to agree with most in this thread: simply not happening.

More pixels, more need for GPU, more battery drain. Larger screen, more backlight, more battery drain. More likely, Apple will go with KL + IGZO to get a one-two punch and increase battery life big time on the current 12" version.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Everyone keeps saying the MacBook Pro without touch replaced the air. I highly doubt Apple created a product labeled Pro that is a hybrid between Pro and Air.

There are plenty of people I know who have 13" Airs who don't need all the extra horsepower of the pro.

I think it only makes sense that Apple is making a large version of the 12" MacBook, most likely 14" as it seems to fit in the gap of sizes we have 12, 13, 14, 15.

A 14" version of the MacBook would certainly be lighter and cheaper than the current MacBook Pro, and offer less horsepower for those who just use it for netflix and browsing.

This would make for a hell of a device.
The 13" Pro with Touch Bar is a MacBook Air. It uses the same class of 15W processors used in the Air, not the 28W used in the Touch Bar MBP. It is a completely different machine compared to the 13" TB MBP, and was designed to be the 13" MBA successor.

And it is the same weight and has less volume compared to the 13" MBA.

I think many people believe it should have been branded under the MB name due to the difference and confusing the MBP lineup. A 14" MB would be interesting but with a 5W Core i5/i7... that seems contrary to Apples trend of the larger screen being the more powerful. In terms of the MB it would be but not the whole MacBook lineup.

Reactions: JohnnyGo

A MacBook lover

Suspended
Original poster
May 22, 2009
D.C.
The 13" Pro with Touch Bar is a MacBook Air. It uses the same class of 15W processors used in the Air, not the 28W used in the Touch Bar MBP. It is a completely different machine compared to the 13" TB MBP, and was designed to be the 13" MBA successor.

And it is the same weight and has less volume compared to the 13" MBA.

I think many people believe it should have been branded under the MB name due to the difference and confusing the MBP lineup. A 14" MB would be interesting but with a 5W Core i5/i7... that seems contrary to Apples trend of the larger screen being the more powerful. In terms of the MB it would be but not the whole MacBook lineup.
It wasn't designed to replace the air. It's (slightly) heavier and has more mass. The 11" Air got an awesome reduction in size in weight (12" MacBook) why doesn't the 13" air?

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
It wasn't designed to replace the air. It's (slightly) heavier and has more mass. The 11" Air got an awesome reduction in size in weight (12" MacBook) why doesn't the 13" air?
To be fair 1.35 vs 1.37kg in mass is negligible.

I would have buyed it to replace my Air if it had the wedged shape cos I don't like the higher arm rest of the Pros. But I think they had to keep it rectangular to fit in the bigger battery for the retina screen.

Well there are a few 14" alternatives with Intel U processors in the Windows world. So there is still hope that Apple sees there a market for an 14" MB. But if they don't release it with the next Kaby Lake update probably in March than probably never. Or what are they waiting for?

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Yes, this year is the clarification year for Apple mac lineup
If this year updates for 14" MB , mac mini, mac pro does not show off, its clear

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
It is smaller in volume, and the mass is slightly heavier but very similar. I'm afraid it was designed to replace the 13" Air. Not only does it use the same chip, but Apple also went through how it is "better in every way". There's more to an Air than just the wedge shape.
The 11" and 13" had different markets, and the 12" suits the 11" market perfectly (all the complaints were made from the 13"/15" MacBook market). And the base 13" Pro suits the 13" market in their view (although some may disagree.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
It is smaller in volume, and the mass is slightly heavier but very similar. I'm afraid it was designed to replace the 13" Air. Not only does it use the same chip, but Apple also went through how it is "better in every way". There's more to an Air than just the wedge shape.
The 11" and 13" had different markets, and the 12" suits the 11" market perfectly (all the complaints were made from the 13"/15" MacBook market). And the base 13" Pro suits the 13" market in their view (although some may disagree.

I'd agree with this. I think they will clean up the MacBook lineup a bit and make it as follows:

12" MacBook starting at-$999 USD
13" nTP MBP starting at-$1299 USD
13" TB MBP starting at-$1499 USD
15" TB MBP starting at-$1999 USD

Prices may be wishful thinking, but I believe they will need a 999 machine after the Air is dropped from the lineup. The progression from there just makes sense.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
I'd agree with this. I think they will clean up the MacBook lineup a bit and make it as follows:

Prices may be wishful thinking, but I believe they will need a 999 machine after the Air is dropped from the lineup. The progression from there just makes sense.
Yes that's very true and what I'm expecting as well. It is possible that they could lower every price there by $100 but that's unlikely due to the iPad Pro tiers and Intels chip prices.

pukrnukr

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
Roc

I think you got it. I have a feeling that the price drops won't come until later in the year when they update the MacBook pros though. If they keep the current prices throughout 2017, it would be nice to see base model pros make the jump to 16GB ram and 512gb storage. That's probably wishful thinking!
Or maybe they will lower the price of the entry level MacBook M3 to hit that $999 but then have a big jump up to the M5/M7 with 16 gig of ram near 1299 or higher. I do remember them talking about hitting that $999 price point, maybe they'll just keep the air around like they're keeping the old MacBook Pro around with no updates to it.

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
I can see the justification on paper for a larger-screened cousin for the 12" MacBook, much like how we had the 12" and 14" iBook.

The thing is, apart from a small minority, I don't see a large segment of Apple's userbase crying out for a larger screen consumer-grade MacBook. Indeed, most of the criticism levelled at Apple's MacBook lineup seems to be directed at the higher-end range, with the MacBook Pro and it's lackluster specs/lack of ports -- and if the rumors are true, Apple intends on addressing those complaints with the next MBP revision.

That's not to say that Apple would never release a 14" MacBook; they could probably do it. After all, we have seen Apple fielding a consumer-grade notebook with a bigger screen than a pro-grade notebook in the past (the 14" iBook vs. the 12" PowerBook). However Apple would first have to be sure that there would be a market large enough to make such a product viable. Otherwise, they won't bother.

Reactions: A MacBook lover

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Well when u look what other manufacturers offer u can see that their screen sizes are mostly bigger than 13" and often bigger ones cheaper than the smaller ones.
It's an other philosophy than apples who wants to make the customer believe that a bigger laptop needs more power or is more for professional users.

Looking at the prizes the cheapest Apple 13" is 1099 € and the cheapest 15" is 2249 €. They don't have this massive difference in their other products, like bigger iMacs, iphones, iPad or whatch.

There is a lot of space in between for a 14" price wise. I think most people just stick with the smaller ones because they can't justify to spend so much on the MBP. But if there would be a cheaper MB with bigger screen they would go for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: A MacBook lover
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.