Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgymnop

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2020
It's pretty annoying to always click on "not now" when logging into a site. Guess it's back to lastpass then? :/
It's a bug in 7.7 and they say they work on a fix. I think it was fixed in beta 7.7.1.
Have the same issue and it drives me nuts with the 7.7 release. In general 7.7 is very buggy I hope this is not a sign of 1PW going downhill. Stability over features.

DaveXX

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2020
It's a bug in 7.7 and they say they work on a fix. I think it was fixed in beta 7.7.1.
Have the same issue and it drives me nuts with the 7.7 release. In general 7.7 is very buggy I hope this is not a sign of 1PW going downhill. Stability over features.
The problem that 1Password asked me everytime about saving the password again i have since a long time (before 7.7). This is the main reason i switched to Dashlane. I never saw any fix for the issues since at least one year!

lapino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Since starting this thread I switched to bitwarden. Pretty happy with it (free version for now, going to buy a license).

Reactions: macuros

zalusky

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
I mostly love 1password. Beyond the passwords, two factors, and credit cards, I also keep a lot of secure notes in 1password like copies of my Passport, Drivers License, Insurance cards, prescriptions, and now Covid vaccination cards. I can easily bring them up if I lose the real thing. Using the families option I cut the annual fee by sharing the bill with my wife.

It is one of the few subscription services that consistently provides good value.

RiotMilk

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2020
Hey all i coincidentally read through this thread yesterday - as somebody who uses and enjoys lastpass but isn't totally sold on it all the time - and got this email this morning from them. I think losing the ability to sync between mac/iphone for free is a dealbreaker for me and probably many of y'all...i need to check out Bitwarden now, was already about to do that yesterday based on this thread

the email i got (i'm sure y'all did too but just sharing for others considering):

What's changing in LastPass Free?

Beginning March 16, 2021, LastPass Free will include access on one device type of your choice. The first device you login with on or after March 16 will set your active device type.
If you choose computer as your device type, LastPass Free will work on all computers in your life:
ALL Computer Devices
  • ALL desktop computers
  • ALL laptop computers
If you choose mobile as your device type, LastPass Free will work on all mobile devices in your life:
ALL Mobile Devices
  • ALL mobile phones
  • ALL tablets
  • ALL smartwatches

sorry for horrendous table formatting here i'm just too lazy to fix it

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
Looks like starting from next month LastPass free version will only allow 1 device. I mostly ruled out LastPass before but after reading this it’s totally out of the question for me, as I use password managers both on Mac and mobile devices. :)

EDIT: looks like someone posted about it just seconds before me!

Reactions: RiotMilk

RiotMilk

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2020
Looks like starting from next month LastPass free version will only allow 1 device. I mostly ruled out LastPass before but after reading this it’s totally out of the question for me, as I use password managers both on Mac and mobile devices. :)

EDIT: looks like someone posted about it just seconds before me!

i may have posted seconds before you, but my post is like completely illegible and i still haven't fixed it so it's good to double down here and keep the conversation going :)

i totally agree with you! what are you thinking about going with instead? i'm gonna try to get set up with Bitwarden today

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
i may have posted seconds before you, but my post is like completely illegible and i still haven't fixed it so it's good to double down here and keep the conversation going :)

i totally agree with you! what are you thinking about going with instead? i'm gonna try to get set up with Bitwarden today
Currently I still enjoy my 1-yr free 1Password subscription period but once that's up I'll probably switch to a free password manager alternative. I tried Bitwarden and it seems like a very good free option. The thing that currently bothers me the most about it is that its vault in Firefox extension won't lock on system sleep. It works in Chrome but not in Firefox allegedly because the latter won't allow access to certain API or something like that. Which is pretty much a deal breaker for me currently. 1P on the other hand will lock nicely when I put my Mac to sleep.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Well I finally succumbed to the subscription model of 1Password. I generally hate and avoid subscriptions but I needed something that stores my passwords across platforms, integrates fairly well and is robust with features.

I was using Lastpass up until I got that infamous email stating that if you want multi-platform support you have to subscribe to the premium version. The whole move angered me, and I didn't really want to reward that company with my money. Granted, I'm still embracing a subscription service but with 1Password, its iOS offerings are much better imo.

I tried BitWarden, and I was tempted for that, but it doesn't automatically fill in the passwords. I have click on the extension and then copy the password. if it stores my userid and password, then that's two separate copy/paste actions. At least with 1Password (and Lasspass) it provides a means to paste the information in (at least on desktop computers)

RiotMilk

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2020
Well I finally succumbed to the subscription model of 1Password. I generally hate and avoid subscriptions but I needed something that stores my passwords across platforms, integrates fairly well and is robust with features.

I was using Lastpass up until I got that infamous email stating that if you want multi-platform support you have to subscribe to the premium version. The whole move angered me, and I didn't really want to reward that company with my money. Granted, I'm still embracing a subscription service but with 1Password, its iOS offerings are much better imo.

I tried BitWarden, and I was tempted for that, but it doesn't automatically fill in the passwords. I have click on the extension and then copy the password. if it stores my userid and password, then that's two separate copy/paste actions. At least with 1Password (and Lasspass) it provides a means to paste the information in (at least on desktop computers)
I managed to get past that part with Bitwarden, but it's still a little bit annoying - i've found in my experience (at least using Chrome) it will autofill the password as long as i'm literally looking at the tab as the page / login form loads. if i open a bunch of tabs at once but then reload one, or just click the entry in the bitwarden plugin, it autofills. not sure if i edited any setting to allow it to do that. i have sort of liked this because it makes me curb my procrastination behavior where i spin up lots of tabs at once instead of just doing my work, this way i am more inclined to be more intentional as i must open a tab i actually want to use and watch it as it loads + fills the password to log in

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
KeePassX is free and not cloud based - also Dashlane is great. In the past both 1password and last pass being cloud based have had some security issues and one of them may have even been breached at one point.
What security issue has 1Password had? Links?
lastpass had a “breach”, but if the attacker doesn’t have the master password, the data is useless.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I just use mSecure. It isn't as flashy as 1password, but it also isn't subscription and lets me sync via wifi. Plus it is cross-platform.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Perhaps it might be wise to explore other options as some have mentioned. I agree that LP is a bit "clunky" but the subscription version of 1Password is no winner either. I was one of those early uses of 1Password when it was in its earliest stages (somewhat beta to the public) and candidly, it was nicer back in those days and every time you wanted to fill in a name and password, there was no idiotic oversized popup blocking part of the name/password area on the screen. Similarly, the list when opening 1Password was faster access. Presently I am using 1Password for the first time in subscription form. Most likely I will shop for another when the year is out.

FireFish

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
I’ve used both EXTENSIVELY and can assure you that 1Password is the hands down winner in every category

Yary

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2021
There is an option in settings to automatically fill in the passwords: settings->others->turn on automatic filling passwords on loaded pages (or somethnig like that- that's my translation from my language)

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I’ve used both EXTENSIVELY and can assure you that 1Password is the hands down winner in every category
I have used LastPass, 1Password, Bitwarden, and Strongbox, and in my opinion, LastPass is lacking compared to 1Password. At the same time, One can use the same features in Strongbox and Bitwarden, without having to pay a yearly subscription.

1Password is moving more and more toward a more business based software approach (teams etc.,) and that is not an area of need or interest for me.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
In my research of 1Password vs. LastPass, I started coming across Keychain items, and it has generated the questions below.

From research some individuals use 1Password or LastPass AND Keychain. To me, if you changed your password in 1Password or LastPass, Keychain's password for that same item would be skewed, no?

Why do individuals bother using a password management app AND Keychain?

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
Honestly, cannot believe I missed this thread.
Currently, testing 1Password. Been using LastPass for quite sometime.

A few quirks, probably more because I need to learn how to use 1Password properly. Well, I have 12 days left to decide. Plus, my LastPass subscription comes up for renewal, mid July. So, really, perfect time to see what alternative password manager choices are available...

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
In the past Keychain handled feeding passwords to iOS apps better than 1Password. I have passwords both places but 1Password is always the password of record. When I change one or create a new one I always use 1Password. When they get changed, Keychain will ask if you want to update so they can stay in sync.

Reactions: circatee

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
In the past Keychain handled feeding passwords to iOS apps better than 1Password. I have passwords both places but 1Password is always the password of record. When I change one or create a new one I always use 1Password. When they get changed, Keychain will ask if you want to update so they can stay in sync.
"...Keychain will ask if you want to update so they can stay in sync..." that is great info. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.